• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL wants Fitzgerald

I could see him going to the Bears, hometown team, doesn't have to move his family. This is the only team I could see him wanting to go too

I suppose it all comes down to whether or not he has that NFL itch that he needs to scratch and the desire to make stupid money for it . . . but have the added stress and know that you'll probably be fired someday. Or does he just want to continue being the Pope of Evanston for all intents and purposes where he makes good money and has a system that he seems to be able to repeat year after year.

Fitzgerald seems like a dude who's built for the college game and NW is a perfect fit for him.

Last edited:

Good solid coach. He should stay where he is. He has longevity there. His shelf life in the NFL would be 3 years probably, unless he wins a lot. At NW, he can stay as long as he wants and just get richer and richer on cruise control.

Good solid coach. He should stay where he is. He has longevity there. His shelf life in the NFL would be 3 years probably, unless he wins a lot. At NW, he can stay as long as he wants and just get richer and richer on cruise control.

As the ESPN article mentioned, there's one reason Fitzgerald might decide to make the jump this time. Northwestern AD Jim Phillips just became the ACC's new commissioner. Phillips had been at NW for 12 of Fitzgerald's 15 seasons. Depending on who NW hires as AD, I could see Fitzgerald thinking now is as good a time to move on as any. Frank Solich could tell him about what happens when the school hires what turns out to be the wrong guy as AD.

Last edited:
There's a fair number of NW guys in the portal including a couple of guys that play a lot. Maybe they know something.

Or maybe this is what life with unfettered free agency will look like for everyone.

Last edited:

I’m wondering if Fitz isn’t just looking for a change.

He’s really done all you can do at Northwestern...

decent seasons...new facilities, a couple of runs at a BiG Championship that were never going to happen. no way he’s ever allowed to recruit the way he would need to “go to the next level”

He is probably at his zenith right now and also for his salary potential.

AND....NFL folks don’t have the year round recruiting requirement.

And the money is far better....

These guys are EXTREMELY competitive and he just may think he”s done everything he can do. Time to try something new.

I’m wondering if Fitz isn’t just looking for a change.

He’s really done all you can do at Northwestern...

decent seasons...new facilities, a couple of runs at a BiG Championship that were never going to happen. no way he’s ever allowed to recruit the way he would need to “go to the next level”

He is probably at his zenith right now and also for his salary potential.

AND....NFL folks don’t have the year round recruiting requirement.

And the money is far better....

These guys are EXTREMELY competitive and he just may think he”s done everything he can do. Time to try something new.
Throw in that his old boss at NW is off to the ACC commissioners job and this is the most logical time for him to make a change. The NW job will likely be available to him again in the future if he decides the NFL isn't for him.

He might want to talk with Saint Nick S. before leaping into the NFL. We all know how well Nick did with the Fish.... oh wait perhaps not!

If you're willing to live and work in Illinois, hard to beat a gig in Evanston. And how many millions does a person need or want?

Fitzgerald has also never struck me as a guy who needs the affirmation of success at the next level. He's a very good coach and my only frustration if I was in his shoes would be the admissions ceiling they've got that will limit how good they can really be from a talent standpoint. If I'm him, I would wonder what I could do with top ten talent. Are his low water years at Northwestern 8 or 9 wins seasons with kids he can't get on campus now?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back