• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL Playoffs

The Rams are limping their way into the playoffs but I'm hoping their amazing defense can pull an upset or two.

Defense got the job done, even without Aaron Donald for a good chunk of the game! We might not have enough players to field a team next week, but we advanced!

I have been. Pretty impressed with Heinicke for Washington tonight, thinking that young many is going to find a spot on somebody's roster if not right there in DC.

That was an incredible story. While Tampa won, if you'd told me more than a few hours prior to the game, I would have thought Tampa would blow out Washington. Initially, I assumed Alex Smith would be ready, and Washington could win it. But the Heinicke story -- incredible!

Washington QB Taylor Heinicke makes case to 'be in this league a little longer' with effort vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (espn.com)

When Washington called in December, Heinicke was taking four math courses at Old Dominion University. It was finals week; he received permission to take two of the finals after the season.

Washington liked that Heinicke knew offensive coordinator Scott Turner's system, having played in the same one for two years with the Minnesota Vikings and for one with Carolina Panthers. That's when Heinicke got his only start prior to Saturday. He exited that game with an elbow injury that later required surgery. Durability has been a question for the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Heinicke.

He was released by Carolina in the final preseason cuts in August 2019 and spent the year out of football. He eventually signed with the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL but did not play in any of their five games. The end appeared near for the 2015 undrafted free agent.

(the rest of the story at the link has all sorts of well-deserved praise from his teammates)

I was flat wrong about the Rams. I maybe should have known, as Donald and that defense has given Russell Wilson problems before.

LA was wildly inconsistent all season -- mostly on offense -- and especially Goff. But he did fine coming in injured with pins inserted in his thumb 12 days prior. And Cam Akers looks like the real deal -- that's really what made their offense effective yesterday.

That was an incredible story. While Tampa won, if you'd told me more than a few hours prior to the game, I would have thought Tampa would blow out Washington. Initially, I assumed Alex Smith would be ready, and Washington could win it. But the Heinicke story -- incredible!

Washington QB Taylor Heinicke makes case to 'be in this league a little longer' with effort vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (espn.com)

When Washington called in December, Heinicke was taking four math courses at Old Dominion University. It was finals week; he received permission to take two of the finals after the season.

Washington liked that Heinicke knew offensive coordinator Scott Turner's system, having played in the same one for two years with the Minnesota Vikings and for one with Carolina Panthers. That's when Heinicke got his only start prior to Saturday. He exited that game with an elbow injury that later required surgery. Durability has been a question for the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Heinicke.

He was released by Carolina in the final preseason cuts in August 2019 and spent the year out of football. He eventually signed with the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL but did not play in any of their five games. The end appeared near for the 2015 undrafted free agent.

(the rest of the story at the link has all sorts of well-deserved praise from his teammates)

Ya Dungy was clearly enamored with that young QB last night, and for Washington to be that competitive with a 3rd team QB just brought onto the roster in December speaks well for his chances to find a roster spot somewhere. Durability would certainly be a concern long term but man he played lights out.

Regarding Washington as a whole, it's going to be interesting to see what ingredients they can add and how they progress the next couple years. Get a very good young QB in there who can be the face of your franchise along with Chase Young, that'll mix up pretty well.

Brady becoming the oldest QB to throw a td pass in a playoff game just floors me, mostly because I remember watching George Blanda play when I was young and how “old” he was.

Did you see the photos of Blanda and Brady when they put up this graphic last night? Could have just been the photos selected but Blanda looked like he could have been TB's Grandpa.

I might have to reconsider my thoughts on the NFC side after LA's performance. I'll admit, I didn't watch much of the Rams this season, but should have known their D would come to play. Donald is an absolute monster. It's pretty rare for a defender to carry a team in the postseason, but he could do it.

Washington looked good, and the QB's story is really great, but Tampa had enough answers to not be in any real danger. Brady would have led a late game-winning drive if he needed to.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back