• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL Draft

Most people got "what the point of my rant really is". Griping over NFL draftees to state whether we did or didn't have talent is a poor way to go about evaluating such things. Westerkamp not getting drafted would then mean he was an "issue" in regard to our lack of talent on this team despite being a 2 year captain, honorable mention B1G, 3rd team B1G, 2nd team B1G, and 1st team B1G. I don't care that he didn't get drafted, that dude is helping us towards championships any Saturday he is on the field. But in regard to this thread, he basically held us back, which is not true whatsoever.
What are we missing with JW, ***? From the sounds of it, he didn't even get a FA contract, but rather a tryout. Is the league no longer interested in possession receivers that run great routes and have incredible hands anymore? Was this all about the injury? Certainly not a character issue. How does Utter get a FA contract and not Westerkamp?

Any insight you or @N2FL have is greatly appreciated.

I'm neither *** nor N2fl but it could be that "possession type" receivers are a dime a dozen? Lots of really good college players simply aren't good enough to stick in pro ball. I suspect that will be westy's fate.

What are we missing with JW, ***? From the sounds of it, he didn't even get a FA contract, but rather a tryout. Is the league no longer interested in possession receivers that run great routes and have incredible hands anymore? Was this all about the injury? Certainly not a character issue. How does Utter get a FA contract and not Westerkamp?

Any insight you or @N2FL have is greatly appreciated.
Agree with Bils a bit... I also think his injuries didn't help his cause. Possession guys are easy to find, and if you lack durability it's tough to find a spot. I think Utter and Westy were in the same boat, they both get to tryout somewhere. I thought that was last I heard with Utter?

Agree with Bils a bit... I also think his injuries didn't help his cause. Possession guys are easy to find, and if you lack durability it's tough to find a spot. I think Utter and Westy were in the same boat, they both get to tryout somewhere. I thought that was last I heard with Utter?

I might add that possession receivers can only take so many hits before they break. Westy took a lot of hits for Nebraska in a lot of games. Nebraska has never had an abundance of top notch receivers. So when we see an above average receiver we think he is a super star.

I definitely was not impressed with the 9/10 win marks of Pelini, thought we underachieved. However, i've said a few times already that we may go 8-4 in the regular season next year and actually be better. So records definitely aren't the only thing I look at. I guess my whole point was 5-7 should never happen especially when you lose to Purdue, Northwestern, and Illinois all in the same year, so that to me is underachieving. But when you compare 2016 to 2015, 2016 for sure over-achieved as they weren't as talented as 2015, I agree there.
Let's be honest about the 2015 team regardless of the question of talent - there wasn't a complete buy in on the new coaching staff from day 1. Some of the key defensive players missed Little Bo Bleep. It wasn't till the end of the season that they played with any emotion. That kind of immaturity is going to skew any talent evaluation.

In all fairness, however - it's safe to say Riley didn't bring in a B1G champion caliber coaching staff either in 2015.

Last edited:
Let's be honest about the 2015 team regardless of the question of talent - there wasn't a complete buy in on the new coaching staff from day 1. Some of the key defensive players missed Little Bo Bleep. It wasn't till the end of the season that they played with any emotion. That kind of immaturity is going to skew any talent evaluation.

In all fairness - it's safe to say Riley didn't bring in a B1G caliber coaching staff either in 2015.
I think this is fair on both sides. I would add that it appears much has been done to improve both. The coaching replacements over the last two years will hopefully lead to (IMHO it already is) greater player buy in. Between Williams x 2, Parella, Bray and now Diaco we seem to have some very energetic coaches. Add to that the cerebral coaches of Riley, Langs and Elliott and we have a good mix. (BTW not sure which category Cavanaugh and Davis fit under)
Energetic coaches lend themselves to quicker buy in.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back