• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Next up… Michigan State

Michigan State is better than Oklahoma. If the Huskers go into this game thinking they must be good because of what happened in Norman it will be a blowout.

The Huskers better bounce back quickly. Another road game vs a ranked opponent is coming. schedule is brutal as always. Thanks Big 10.
The schedule is brutal but that is normal for the big ten. Every team is good with good athletes. Like the NFL the differences between teams is coaching and Frost gets out coached more often than not.

look at the schedules the Big 10 has handed Nebraska in comparison to the schedules they hand Wisky and Ohio State since joining the leauge. The disparity is disturbing.
Way too much blame out on the B1G for scheduling. The biggest problem with the schedule is we have been so poor that EVERY team looks tough to us. Tired of blaming the B1G for making us lose to Illinois

All this talk about tough schedules, Big is better than Okie etc, you'd think the head coach would be telling his players each game is like the Big championship....
and to take each game one at a time.....
and to not look at rankings....
and to work on yourselves, your team....
and each opponent is a nameless faceless one....

I assume you're being serious. Dantonio teams were known for hard nosed defense and solid smart play. Pretty bland offense. Riley known for getting an upset of a team he should not have beaten every few years and being well liked.
So four years after he left Riley is responsible for our current special teams fiasco, laughable O-line play and the cavalcade of penalties and miscues?

Got it.

There used to be the old saying as the key to success: run the ball, stop the run.

We aren't really good at either.

That worked just fine against OU. They stopped our limited run game, dared AM to pass -- and he did so with flying colors. OU's defense has been shredded by the pass game many times in recent years -- and this year as well by both Tulane and Nebraska.

Big Ten football is a different game than Sooners/Big 12 football.

Interestingly, OU was very successful at running against our defense -- nearly 200 yards on the ground, averaging 5.5 yards per carry. But that's not their bread and butter with Rattler, so they didn't commit to it as much as they maybe should have.

Regardless, if our defense has an Achilles heel, it's been in stopping a quality run game. We saw it last year, and we've seen previews of that again this year.

Nebraska is ranked 76th nationally in run defense. In rushing yards per attempt, we're 71st.

Michigan State loves to run, as we know.

Minnesota will want to run, Iowa will want to run, Wisconsin will want to run. We've got to find a way to prevent those types of offenses from dictating the tempo and ultimately the scoreboard.

And as impressive as AM's day passing was against OU, that was on a warm, dry, nearly calm wind day. The heart of Big Ten season offers very few days like that. We need to find a way to develop a better run game (other than Martinez RPOs and broken play scrambles) -- but I'm not sure we can with a struggling offensive line.

I have been impressed with AM this season -- he's taken a step up for sure. So much so, I can't imagine what we'd do without him. Would be nice if we could find a competent enough run game that he doesn't have to carry the load all season -- don't want too many opportunities to turn our #2 QB into our #1.

If Big Ten play is going to require us to run the ball and stop the run to win games, can we do that?
Very much agree with this take.

We'll see what happens on Saturday and beyond, but I'm not sold on the D's ability to stop/limit a power rushing offense. And nobody's sold on our offense's ability to sustain such a thing. That means trouble in the B1G, it seems to me.

Run the ball. Stop the run. Win the game.

Need to shut down their top WR and manage their RB.
I look to see improvement in our run game some, and they can be thrown on.
Hopefully Martins back and we dont miss a Stepp in our run game with Gabe out.

Very much agree with this take.

We'll see what happens on Saturday and beyond, but I'm not sold on the D's ability to stop/limit a power rushing offense. And nobody's sold on our offense's ability to sustain such a thing. That means trouble in the B1G, it seems to me.

Run the ball. Stop the run. Win the game.

This defense, starting with the last half of last season, and for the most part this year, has done a good job stopping the run. There was the one bad drive against Illinois, and then the OU game. I think the OU game was more a byproduct of playing soft zone to limit big plays, and then some missed tackles. But Gray and Brooks are also REALLY good RBs that will get their yards on anyone.
I'm not that concerned about stopping the run. Now actually running the ball is another story......

This defense, starting with the last half of last season, and for the most part this year, has done a good job stopping the run. There was the one bad drive against Illinois, and then the OU game. I think the OU game was more a byproduct of playing soft zone to limit big plays, and then some missed tackles. But Gray and Brooks are also REALLY good RBs that will get their yards on anyone.
I'm not that concerned about stopping the run. Now actually running the ball is another story......

2021 run defense: 76th nationally in yards allowed per game, 71st in rushing yards allowed per attempt.

2020 run defense: 66th nationally in yards allowed per game, 71st in rushing yards allowed per attempt.

Michigan State will be a good test.

2021 run defense: 76th nationally in yards allowed per game, 71st in rushing yards allowed per attempt.

2020 run defense: 66th nationally in yards allowed per game, 71st in rushing yards allowed per attempt.

Michigan State will be a good test.

As long as the offense doesn't put them in terrible spots, I'm not concerned with stopping the run.

Way too much blame out on the B1G for scheduling. The biggest problem with the schedule is we have been so poor that EVERY team looks tough to us. Tired of blaming the B1G for making us lose to Illinois
I agree with you that we have been poor, so it makes every team seem tough. But seriously, there really is something funny going on with the scheduling in the conference. I think Nebraska gets used because they draw eyeballs to the tv and buy a lot of tickets. I do feel like Ohio State and Wisky have been given preferential treatment in scheduling over the years.

So four years after he left Riley is responsible for our current special teams fiasco, laughable O-line play and the cavalcade of penalties and miscues?

Got it.
I am not advocating any of that. However changing a culture that is fowled up vice merely a coaching change to move a program forward are 2 different scenarios. That is what I'm getting at.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back