• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Next up… Michigan State

Boy, if the offensive effort against OU was so abysmal, what does that say about OU?
The offense moved the ball reasonably well. No three-and-outs that I remember and just one turnover on a 4th down throw. The problems are the ineffective running game and the inability to score points. Most of the Big 10 defenses we see will be comparable to OU. 3 yards per carry and 16 points won't win many games.

Last edited:

Thanks Big Ten? Hard to blame the league for this being a tough game. LOL These guys were supposed to patsies this year. Turns out, they didn't buy into it.
I like tough schedules, within reason. There are plenty of teams on our schedule where we should be considered to have a reasonable chance to win. NW, Purdue, Illinois (oops) , Minnesota and even Iowa. We should have a chance at home in that one.

Just win this one for now!
look at the schedules the Big 10 has handed Nebraska in comparison to the schedules they hand Wisky and Ohio State since joining the leauge. The disparity is disturbing.

The offense moved the ball reasonably well. No three-and-outs that I remember and just one turnover on a 4th down throw. The problems are the ineffective running game and the inability to score points. Most of the Big 10 defenses we see will be compatable to OU. 3 yards per carry and 16 points won't win many games.
Damon echo’d a stat this morning on 1680, and said that when Nebraska’s offense utilizes a lead blocker in the running game, we avg 6+ yds, and when we don’t, it’s 1 yd or less……

Don't kid yourselves, the B10 loves scheduling fun for the Huskers
DONU's crossovers - @MSU, Michigan, tOSU (all ranked)

Iowa? - Indiana, @Maryland, PSU
Wisky? - PSU, @Rutgers, Michigan
Minny? - tOSU, @IU, Maryland

To be fair, that's largely due to Indiana thus far falling short of expectations and Michigan State exceeding theirs. Those games were scheduled before that happened. Heck, a couple weeks ago, only one of our crossovers was ranked, while Iowa and Minnesota had two. That's just how it's evolved as the season has progressed.

If NU goes up to East Lansing and wins, is MSU a shell of themselves from the first 3 weeks? :)
Actually, no. It means this team has potentially turned a corner and is headed in the right direction.

If they lose, then it is most likely same ol same ol. You've seen and endured that script. I don't have to say a word.

Last edited:
Actually, no. It means this team has potentially turned a corner and is headed in the right direction.

If they lose, then it is most likely same ol same ol. You've seen and endured that script. I don't have to say a word.

You, sir, are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the narrative by a few on here.

The defense playing well has allowed the offense to have an almost 2:1 run/pass ratio last couple games. Hope that keeps up. Seems to help out AM and the passing game. Even with it not working well. Gives the OL the reps they desperately need as well.

To be fair, that's largely due to Indiana thus far falling short of expectations and Michigan State exceeding theirs. Those games were scheduled before that happened. Heck, a couple weeks ago, only one of our crossovers was ranked, while Iowa and Minnesota had two. That's just how it's evolved as the season has progressed.
Wrong... DONU has played Indiana & Maryland twice since joining the B1G.
Meanwhile this is our 8th matchup with tOSU, 7th with Sparty & 5th with Michigan.

not complaining, just stating the deck has been stacked unevenly since day 1

Last edited:

one year turnarounds? it's like where do folks come up with this stuff.

Fel Mucker took over for Mark Dantonio, the winningest coach in MSU football history, including 3 B1G titles in his 13 years in Lansing...no comparison to the neutered finesse powder puff life of Riley. Oh the strain.

There used to be the old saying as the key to success: run the ball, stop the run.

We aren't really good at either.

That worked just fine against OU. They stopped our limited run game, dared AM to pass -- and he did so with flying colors. OU's defense has been shredded by the pass game many times in recent years -- and this year as well by both Tulane and Nebraska.

Big Ten football is a different game than Sooners/Big 12 football.

Interestingly, OU was very successful at running against our defense -- nearly 200 yards on the ground, averaging 5.5 yards per carry. But that's not their bread and butter with Rattler, so they didn't commit to it as much as they maybe should have.

Regardless, if our defense has an Achilles heel, it's been in stopping a quality run game. We saw it last year, and we've seen previews of that again this year.

Nebraska is ranked 76th nationally in run defense. In rushing yards per attempt, we're 71st.

Michigan State loves to run, as we know.

Minnesota will want to run, Iowa will want to run, Wisconsin will want to run. We've got to find a way to prevent those types of offenses from dictating the tempo and ultimately the scoreboard.

And as impressive as AM's day passing was against OU, that was on a warm, dry, nearly calm wind day. The heart of Big Ten season offers very few days like that. We need to find a way to develop a better run game (other than Martinez RPOs and broken play scrambles) -- but I'm not sure we can with a struggling offensive line.

I have been impressed with AM this season -- he's taken a step up for sure. So much so, I can't imagine what we'd do without him. Would be nice if we could find a competent enough run game that he doesn't have to carry the load all season -- don't want too many opportunities to turn our #2 QB into our #1.

If Big Ten play is going to require us to run the ball and stop the run to win games, can we do that?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back