• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New Weight Room

I don't know.

It might attract today's athletes, but a dark gym with duct tape on the benches and rust on the plates can build muscle. Old school. Guys who sweat, bust their asses and don't dick with their iPhones between sets is what I grew up with.

I don't know how to make this generation work. Maybe pretty things does that.
NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

j/k. I'm right there with you. Makes me think all these amenities are making us soft. But what are you gonna do? Keeping Boyd's old weight setup from 1970 isn't going to cut it today.

Edit: Now that I read what I just wrote, I realize that Boyd pretty much instigated the arms race madness...

Last edited:
I don't know.

It might attract today's athletes, but a dark gym with duct tape on the benches and rust on the plates can build muscle. Old school. Guys who sweat, bust their asses and don't dick with their iPhones between sets is what I grew up with.

I don't know how to make this generation work. Maybe pretty things does that.
Yup

I have lots of stuff...

1) Duval is Frost's guy and they are lockstep in what they expect. Haven't had that in over a decade.
2) While it doesn't look pretty now, what our vision is looks good. The linemen (offense specifically) are guys that will take time to develop (Anderson, Fritzsche, Banks). They have the bodies/athleticism we want but it will take 2-3 years for S&C to take hold.
3) I think every year we are grabbing playmakers for Martinez to have. Wandale Robinson as one example. Should continue to see that.
4) I think this staff is learning from their mistakes. Frost had a closed door meeting basically apologizing to the team fo rsome of the things being said. That will go a long way in the future but tough to remedy it this season.
5) Facility is a huge one.
6) We will return nearly everyone on offense, that's a good thing even tho it doesn't look great right now.

I have to say i'm a bit concerned, but absolutely trust Frost and Duval to get us there. The biggest difference for us year 2 compared to UCF is returning line experience offensively. That will flip in 2020.

"Frost remembers back in his playing days, strength and conditioning results used to be published in the media. Frankly, he didn't want to do that when he arrived because he thinks it would have embarrassed some guys.
Moving ahead, the combination of better strength and conditioning results with strong recruiting classes is an exciting cocktail to Frost."

I still am looking forward to seeing the release of who has scored highest in S & C like we used to see under Boyd. And what we were told would be coming out in future years.

Duval is good for our program. The S&C program got mindlessly villianized by people last week. The guy knows his stuff and his staff is pushing the science. The whole team has shown a bump in overall athleticism and it wasn't just from recruiting. We just had a staff that relaxed training to an afterthought. Duval has been a breath of fresh air. He is also very open-minded. If you have specific studies to suggest, he will gladly investigate. Not too many guys have that ability to hone themselves as time marches on, especially in a field fraught with so much opinion over the science.

If they send any home with you make sure you use them. They really helped with my rotator cuff tear.
:Lol: I will use them if I ever need to. Just to clarify, when I said braces I meant the rubber bands they placed on my teeth 40 years ago to straighten them. The stretchy waistband comment was in regards to my pants...lol.

"Frost remembers back in his playing days, strength and conditioning results used to be published in the media. Frankly, he didn't want to do that when he arrived because he thinks it would have embarrassed some guys.
Moving ahead, the combination of better strength and conditioning results with strong recruiting classes is an exciting cocktail to Frost."

I still am looking forward to seeing the release of who has scored highest in S & C like we used to see under Boyd. And what we were told would be coming out in future years.
Agree. That said, we did publicly post things under Riley for the top guys. What I found interesting though, is that our top guys were having basically the same numbers compared to the guys in the 90s, but just were not even close to the on field results. Coaching will go a long way.

I always thought it would be cool if our weight staff could highlight some of the freshmen making big strides. Walk-ons decreasing body fat or increasing strength gains, putting that on twitter and saying something like "Hey Ashland-Greenwood football, thanks for sending Ben Stille our way. Look at the gains!" Or something way less cheesy. Probably a recruiting violation though.

And correlate it to what the volleyball women are scoring. (championship caliber index numbers)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back