• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New OC Matt Lubick hired!

Given Frost's role with play calling and the offense in general, the two big criteria for me in this hire are WR development (which seemed to be lacking based on 2019) and recruiting. In browsing through this thread, it looks like he checks both boxes. I was definitely surprised that this move happened, but I am optimistic about the outcome.

Now that we have hired Coach Lubick how soon does he get into the recruiting mix? Does he have any contact with this weekend’s recruits? Phone call, etc?

Now that we have hired Coach Lubick how soon does he get into the recruiting mix? Does he have any contact with this weekend’s recruits? Phone call, etc?
I think at a minimum he has to be checked out by our compliance folks first. Not sure if thats a quick, over the phone on the weekend deal or if he has to do it Monday morning.

Last edited:
This worries me, you have a bunch of top notch WR recruits who were expecting to be coached by Walters, now this? Blaming the WR coach for playing an injured QB who was having a sophomore slump, who couldn't see open receivers, more like Mario should have been let go. Hope the new kids are good with this, being an ex Ducks coach will help. As my niece would say, not impressed. Please prove me wrong.
It wasn't Mario that made the decision to play an injured QB.

This worries me, you have a bunch of top notch WR recruits who were expecting to be coached by Walters, now this? Blaming the WR coach for playing an injured QB who was having a sophomore slump, who couldn't see open receivers, more like Mario should have been let go. Hope the new kids are good with this, being an ex Ducks coach will help. As my niece would say, not impressed. Please prove me wrong.

Lubick has a track record of doing good things with the WRs, having coached that position group multiple times and being recognized as a high performing assistant (look at his work with Duke in 2012). Walters wasn't exactly knocking it out of the park from a recuriting, development & performance on the field perspective. I'm not very concerned at all about our receivers (or recruits) having doubts about Lubick. If anything, they should be encouraged.

Last edited:

I doubt we'll see much from him this year in recruiting. Obviously the timeframe and number of kids left we are going to sign seriously limit him but also he wasn't in coaching last year so he hasn't built the relationships necessary to pull a big recruit in on short notice.

I'm hoping he can get going quickly with those we've identified for the 2021 class.

Maybe, but he doesn’t plan to sell his house in Ft Collins and his sister and parents live there. He said that one big plus about the NU job is that it’s close to Ft Collins. This is a temp hire IMO. But most assistant coach hires are.
I'm not so concerned with how long he will want to stay at Nebraska, but rather with how hard he is going to work while he is here. Will he be grinding 24x7x365 like most college football coaches (I know that is an exaggeration, but you know what I mean)? Or will he take every opportunity to get out of Lincoln and be back home in Fort Collins instead of being in his office in Lincoln watching film, talking to the other coaches, being available in person to his players when they have questions, problems or just want to talk, etc.?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back