• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New NIL guidelines just released

These 'guidelines' more than anything else lead me to believe the top FBS conferences will form their own entity outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA sooner than later. The NCAA lacks the necessary infrastructure, resources, or even legal authority to enforce a guideline like this. It reminds me of when they sanctioned Penn State based on evidence that they couldn't even obtain. They acted on public information that came out only after the legal investigation was concluded.

two men lose their job. They go to the unemployment off to sign up for unemployment. First one goes in and Lady asks what do you do? He said I I box panties. She said that unskilled labor, you get 300 a week

2nd one goes in, asked what he does. I’m a diesel fitter. Thant’s skilled labor and you’ll get 600 a week he comes out tells his friend. Friend was like, what the hell! Goes in an yells at the lady. Why does he get 600 a week. Well he is skilled labor

Skilled labor???? Before I box the panties up, he puts them over his head and say Diesel fit her

Should have put this out a year ago. Cant put the milk back in the jug once its spilled. Retro investigations is bull, should have had this in place

In the "key takeaways" that the NCAA lists in its material on NIL guidleines, these are the negative guidlines :

1. Does not allow NIL compensation contingent on enrollment at a particular institution
2. Does not allow compensation for athletic participation or achievement
3. Does not permit compensation for work not performed

It also retains current prohibitions on pay-for-play and impermissible inducments.

I don't see how there will be an NIL program that actually meets these standards. To me that means that lawyers will figure out ways to get around it, and if not, they will get state laws passed that permit actions that conflict with these prohibitions.

Then we'll see what happens.
The article mentions that there are already more than 2 dozen states with laws in direct opposition to these NCAA "edicts", so once again the NCAA is a bunch of idiots!

Only idiots pass rules that no one will follow!

To me that means that lawyers will figure out ways to get around it, and if not, they will get state laws passed that permit actions that conflict with these prohibitions.

State laws generally already permit these things. If the state says "ok" and the NCAA says "nope", then the answer is "nope".

Maybe the answer is to let anyone in any sport go pro at any time. I'm not sure what is gained by requiring a number of years after high school to pass before they can opt in when they do't want to be in college anyway. Then its a little harder to argue that you are preventing them from making money off their talents - not impossible, but harder.

That might force the NFL to really put together a minor league arrangment and stop relying upon colleges to do it for them.

I'm suggesting this but realizing I don't know what the rules are for going to the basketball pro minor league now.

That will eliminate part of the problem anyway.

Last edited:
These 'guidelines' more than anything else lead me to believe the top FBS conferences will form their own entity outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA sooner than later. The NCAA lacks the necessary infrastructure, resources, or even legal authority to enforce a guideline like this. It reminds me of when they sanctioned Penn State based on evidence that they couldn't even obtain. They acted on public information that came out only after the legal investigation was concluded.
What kind of organization could be put together that would have more legal authority than the current NCAA, and why couldn’t the NCAA get that authority in the same way?

Universities are the members of NCAA. They can't agree on much of anything as a group because they differ so much. Punishment for infractions would be against the univeristy since they are the members, and Nebraska doesn't want some podunk school somewhere in the membership telling it what to do..

That's why the NCAA does not have the kind of powers needed to carry out a real investigation of anything, and why so few violations are even investigated. I think they at most have a couple of dozen investigation employees for all of the schools in the NCAA, all of the sports, and all of the students playing and coaches coaching..

So harping on the NCAA is just what the members want. No one harps at them then.

What kind of organization could be put together that would have more legal authority than the current NCAA, and why couldn’t the NCAA get that authority in the same way?
It’s not that a new organization would have more authority. It’s that the NCAA is impotent to do anything about the biggest problems, but they’re going to make matters worse by threatening to levy punishment against teams retroactively for this unenforceable guideline. Their enforcement in recent years has looked increasingly arbitrary and illogical (and slow). They’re setting up to do even more of this in football, where a group of administrators have already been publicly talking about a different model. These guidelines and the threat of uneven enforcement just pours accelerant on the situation.

As for NIL, there would have to be some federal law that will stand up in the Supreme Court before the situation changes much. I’m not sure what that will look like.

It’s not that a new organization would have more authority. It’s that the NCAA is impotent to do anything about the biggest problems, but they’re going to make matters worse by threatening to levy punishment against teams retroactively for this unenforceable guideline. Their enforcement in recent years has looked increasingly arbitrary and illogical (and slow). They’re setting up to do even more of this in football, where a group of administrators have already been publicly talking about a different model. These guidelines and the threat of uneven enforcement just pours accelerant on the situation.

As for NIL, there would have to be some federal law that will stand up in the Supreme Court before the situation changes much. I’m not sure what that will look like.
I agree with all you said. But I keep hearing the solution is to leave the NCAA and form some new group. I just don’t see what actual difference that would make. The NCAA does what the member schools direct and empower them to do. The NCAA is not at odds with its members schools. It is an extension of and beholden to its members.

I agree with all you said. But I keep hearing the solution is to leave the NCAA and form some new group. I just don’t see what actual difference that would make. The NCAA does what the member schools direct and empower them to do. The NCAA is not at odds with its members schools. It is an extension of and beholden to its members.
With 125 FCS Div 1 voting members there is probably many smaller schools that wanted a lot of restrictions such as # of scholarships, number of coaching staff and many rules large football power centric schools don't imo. Most of those smaller schools will never have the resources to fully compete with top programs hence placing all sorts of ridiculous and unecessary restrictions based solely on their own finances.

Makes sense large schools that are hampered with many NCAA rules might form their own organization. I'd bet their rules would be very different than the NCAA rules they presently labor under.

Last edited:

I could see some of the G5 conferences forming a new organization. I would think SEC, B1G, AND PAC. Stealing a few top teams from the rest.
E.g.Louisville, OSU, Notre Dame. Build a new organization.

Those three conferences cover almost every major television market. Only missing New England which has never been a big college sports market except maybe connecticut Bball.

The NCAA would be left with the other schools.

The new org could do something like setting a salary cap. That would help even things out.

Interesting take … power at the conference level

Attachments

• 1653271953141.jpeg
    1653271953141.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back