• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New NIL guidelines just released

In the "key takeaways" that the NCAA lists in its material on NIL guidleines, these are the negative guidlines :

1. Does not allow NIL compensation contingent on enrollment at a particular institution
2. Does not allow compensation for athletic participation or achievement
3. Does not permit compensation for work not performed

It also retains current prohibitions on pay-for-play and impermissible inducments.

I don't see how there will be an NIL program that actually meets these standards. To me that means that lawyers will figure out ways to get around it, and if not, they will get state laws passed that permit actions that conflict with these prohibitions.

Then we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Seems like what they are trying to say to kids is if you want NIL funds, you have to put the work in yourself or with your family.

Sounds fare to me. University shouldn't be a springboard for it.

I suspect this is a harbinger of the death of the NCAA much more than the death of NIL collaboratives. I don't see how this is remotely enforceable. Recruiting will include "Here's what we can do when you're on campus" pitches. It's barely even semantics. This doesn't put the genie back in the bottle.

As long as UNL is clear about the rules and plays by the rules, I’m ok with NIL rules, I also know the NCAA can muddy waters if they want. Seems like the money is flowing already. Not sure they can do anything at this time that could change the tide. Admin better be on there game as lots of eyes on this

I suspect this is a harbinger of the death of the NCAA much more than the death of NIL collaboratives. I don't see how this is remotely enforceable. Recruiting will include "Here's what we can do when you're on campus" pitches. It's barely even semantics. This doesn't put the genie back in the bottle.
I think that’s been building for a decade or so. This may, and probably will be their death nail, at least as far as football goes. Unsure about their beloved NCAA tournament, as basketball may be a different animal.

I think that’s been building for a decade or so. This may, and probably will be their death nail, at least as far as football goes. Unsure about their beloved NCAA tournament, as basketball may be a different animal.
I agree. It's been coming for a while. NIL is just the final blow. Basketball is different but still has many of the same issues with schools that can pay top dollar and schools that to, varying degrees, can't.

I agree. It's been coming for a while. NIL is just the final blow. Basketball is different but still has many of the same issues with schools that can pay top dollar and schools that to, varying degrees, can't.
Probably so, although I’d guess most power 5 schools, whom are committed to athletics, and winning, can come up with some NIL. The entire thing is crazy and out of control, so somewhere along the line, someone has to come up with some rules and standards, whether it’s the NCAA, or some other, yet to be determined entity.

It's been a naturaL evolution and its not going back. When administrators saw they could make big TV money with better teams (and that would boost their salaries),and the fans started demanding that their team be a national champion and conference titles and wins against rivals became secondary, then money entered the picture, cheating entered the picture, transient incredibly overpaid coaches entered the picture, huge fancy stadiums entered the picture, gambling entered the picture, and now easy player transfers and letting fans pay players to play for their teams (the NCAA is toothless in trying to stop this) -- it's easy to trace how it happened.

Once again big money has changed the spirit of collegiate athletics. Now it will be a question of millionaires and billionaires fighting among themselves with their wealth so that on their islands in the Caribeean (or where ever) they can brag about how well their Huskers or Buckeyes or Trojans or whoever are doing.

Modern fans may say bring it on - how many points are we giving, give me another whiskey - but I'm not among them. In this case, it truly was more fun before.

Last edited:

So with those rules you could probably sanction and penalized every top team in all the P5 conferences. Thats another NCAA freaken joke and going no where fast especially when top ambulance chasers dig into the details for the players and all the Big Daddy Warbucks.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back