• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New(ish) concept for Nebraska Offense

I do not disagree with you. We are talking scheme vs talent. Teamwork is a part of it either way. Great scheme can beat superior talent. That was ny point.
Its obvious, guys with talent, some is wasted,much is self starter.
One takes way toomuch coaching time, the other, hardly any at all.

Spending too much time on the former can cause problems for less talented, but as good or better productive team members

Long time lurker here, first time post. So, hey y'all.

Great post, ***. You always having really insightful stuff.

It's interesting that you identified this play as a bright spot. This play stood out to me too, but more as an encapsulation of my frustration's with Frost's offensive philosophies. I actually turned the game off shortly after seeing it.

The core of the play is pretty simple: an inside-zone/glance route RPO. This is the bread and butter of a huge swath of college teams. It does have a differentiating/innovative element but, like the rest of Frost's bells and whistles, the premise of the innovation essentially boils down to "use speed to get to the edge in space" (here an RB getting to the edge on a DB). The same theory undergirds all Frost's wide zone handoffs, jet sweeps, WR flares, and the shallow routes in the flats.

This play worked here, and I'm sure Frost and Lubick can massage formations and motions to isolate the wrong defender in space once or twice a game, and pop it for a few nice gains. However, a P5 defense will generally shut that down for little gain, and occasionally dump it for a loss when the DL is gapping lanes in an unexpected way.

More often than not, this sort of thing would work at UCF because they had access to faster skill players vis-a-vis most of the teams in their league. Those sorts of plays didn't work at all against Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Fortunately for UCF, they had a really heady play maker at QB, which made the deep and intermediate passing game sing. I'm not sure Nebraska has one of those right now.
Hello, AUDNZD. Quick note: Thank you for posting your comments. You clearly know what you are talking about and we need more critical thinkers on this board. We all want Frost to succeed, but he clearly is not. Part of me wonders if the "offensive genius" moniker came from "tempo" as opposed to anything deeper than that. Once a defense understand how to disrupt our tempo offense we seem to stand still. I wonder if others would chime in?

Hello, AUDNZD. Quick note: Thank you for posting your comments. You clearly know what you are talking about and we need more critical thinkers on this board. We all want Frost to succeed, but he clearly is not. Part of me wonders if the "offensive genius" moniker came from "tempo" as opposed to anything deeper than that. Once a defense understand how to disrupt our tempo offense we seem to stand still. I wonder if others would chime in?
Coaches will try to scheme against pace. Especially if we substitute. They will take as much time as they can to "match" the substitution. Most have too much pride to pull what Indiana did. Faking injuries is a bridge too far for most top coaches.

Indiana…..that business really upset me. And then all that nonsense that we “disrespected” them.

Everyone loves Allen…supposedly…but I have to tell you two coaches in the BiG just raise my alarm bells….

My little voice going off saying….watch out!

One is the boat rower and the other is Allen.

Not sure if we can draw any conclusions from the spring game but it was fun to watch and at least to my untrained eye, the kids looked bigger, stronger and some definitely faster. And the program just …….more polished.

Perhaps it’s just that I haven’t seen football for a while and maybe I’m just wishin’ and hopin’…..some kind of placebo….

But it jumped right out at me while I watched.

Indiana…..that business really upset me. And then all that nonsense that we “disrespected” them.

Everyone loves Allen…supposedly…but I have to tell you two coaches in the BiG just raise my alarm bells….

My little voice going off saying….watch out!

One is the boat rower and the other is Allen.

Not sure if we can draw any conclusions from the spring game but it was fun to watch and at least to my untrained eye, the kids looked bigger, stronger and some definitely faster. And the program just …….more polished.

Perhaps it’s just that I haven’t seen football for a while and maybe I’m just wishin’ and hopin’…..some kind of placebo….

But it jumped right out at me while I watched.
I agree with everything in this post.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back