• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New fly fishing technique for fast waters!

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
So I've been fishing the Cimarron River in northern NM the last two days with my son. We were using the usual flies, EHC, PMD, stone flies, and nymphs. Just decent action but nothing to write home about.

So right before we are finished, we run into a local fisherman, an Indian follow who caught a ton of fish. We asked him what he was using, and he said "woolies". I'm like "fly fishing using woolies? Can we watch you for a minute?" He said sure.

So he climbs into the river, UPSTREAM, casts 20 fit ahead of him into the current, then allows the wooly to drive down into the current, and he literally just holds the wooly in the fast current. BAM! He hooks a fatty right in front of us! So my son rigged up a wooley, did the same thing, and within 10 minutes had caught two very nice fish! This technique runs counter to every rule I've learned about fly fishing, but we are going back in two weeks and are going to do it for 2 days and see what happens! The local guy schooled us! :thumbsup:

Woolly Buggers are the can't miss fly of all fly fishing. A fly fishing celebrity was asked to participate in a one-fly competition for charity on a river he'd never fished. He said something to the effect of "I researched the hatch charts for the stream, took stream samples of the nymphs, studied the unique patterns preferred by the locals,... and then I tied on a size 10 black Woolly Bugger and caught every fish that saw it."

Woolly Buggers are the can't miss fly of all fly fishing. A fly fishing celebrity was asked to participate in a one-fly competition for charity on a river he'd never fished. He said something to the effect of "I researched the hatch charts for the stream, took stream samples of the nymphs, studied the unique patterns preferred by the locals,... and then I tied on a size 10 black Woolly Bugger and caught every fish that saw it."

haha that's good stuff right there!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back