• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New DC - Tony White

Yeah, JoJo was the best 'From anywhere' blitzer Chinander had and others looked like they either A) made their move late if it was a called blitz and only left something uncovered behind the linebackers or B) made their read late and missed the mark if the blitz was based off of motion, formation, etc.

It worked best when we had Domann and he lined up a yard or two from the LOS, because you never knew what his assignment would be. That's when the nickel in that offense worked really well and what I see in White's 3-3-5 as well. Swarming people in uncertain roles confuse an offensive line and blocking assignments get messed up. He's still going to walk a safety up to the line and blitz, rotate cover or use him as a decoy and back off, but you'll see a lot more from traditional LB depth to the LOS.

I don't want the summer that isn't here yet to go by, because they're starting to seem pretty limited, but I am excited to see what he's got up his sleeve with this roster this fall.
Having good blitzing linebackers is great and all, but it doesn't mean squat if you don't have defensive linemen who can hold the point of attack. That is true for whatever defense you run. We had a decent defense in 2021 because Damion Daniels did an excellent job at taking on double teams and holding the point of attack to free up the LBs to make plays. In 2022, Colton Feist and Ty Robinson could not do that, and it looked like Nash Hutmacher still wasn't ready yet. We need 2 or 3 defensive linemen to step up and be consistent playmakers if we want to have a good defense. I'm hoping Robinson, Hutmacher, or somebody will step up and be that guy.

Having good blitzing linebackers is great and all, but it doesn't mean squat if you don't have defensive linemen who can hold the point of attack. That is true for whatever defense you run. We had a decent defense in 2021 because Damion Daniels did an excellent job at taking on double teams and holding the point of attack to free up the LBs to make plays. In 2022, Colton Feist and Ty Robinson could not do that, and it looked like Nash Hutmacher still wasn't ready yet. We need 2 or 3 defensive linemen to step up and be consistent playmakers if we want to have a good defense. I'm hoping Robinson, Hutmacher, or somebody will step up and be that guy.
Holding the Gophers to71 yards is holding its own. The defense works

Holding the Gophers to71 yards is holding its own. The defense works
I disagree. I watched that game. In the first quarter Minnesota was moving the ball against Syracuse. Then the Minnesota starting QB Kaliakmanus went down with an injury, and they were forced to play an obviously injured and less than 100% Tanner Morgan the rest of the game. Morgan was totally ineffective, and Syracuse was able to load the line of scrimmage to stop the run. For most of the 2nd half Syracuse had 4 or 5 guys at the line of scrimmage and usually at least 7 in the box. Despite that, Minnesota still won the game.

I disagree. I watched that game. In the first quarter Minnesota was moving the ball against Syracuse. Then the Minnesota starting QB Kaliakmanus went down with an injury, and they were forced to play an obviously injured and less than 100% Tanner Morgan the rest of the game. Morgan was totally ineffective, and Syracuse was able to load the line of scrimmage to stop the run. For most of the 2nd half Syracuse had 4 or 5 guys at the line of scrimmage and usually at least 7 in the box. Despite that, Minnesota still won the game.
Morgan through a perfect pass in that game.Perfectly defended,TD anyways.
I just watched it 2 days ago.
Minny won the game,pick 6 the difference. Their offense scored only 21 points.
Morgan through Minnys only 2 TDs,equaled their other QB in yardage per time played.
They couldnt run the ball

Last edited:
Morgan through a perfect pass in that game.Perfectly defended,TD anyways.
I just watched it 2 days ago.
Minny won the game,pick 6 the difference. Their offense scored only 21 points.
Morgan through Minnys only 2 TDs,equaled their other QB in yardage per time played.
They couldnt run the ball
Minnesota's offense is more than just hand off to the running back. They also feature play action passing and some QB running into the mix. Once Kaliakmanis went down the QB run part of the equation was out. Also, Morgan was never a good passer even when he was healthy. He played 2/3rds of the game and only threw 7 passes, so that tells you the play action passing part was out of the equation.

All Minnesota had on offense at that point were handoffs to the running backs, similar to the Nebraska/Kansas State game from 1994 when we were down to Matt Turman as our QB. Even with a great offensive line, if you have 5 guys trying to block 7 guys, the 7 guys are probably going to win most of the time.

If you watched the game then you know that when Kaliakmanis was in the Minnesota offense was moving the ball up and down the field fairly easily. I would guess Ibrahim had most of his 77 yards in the first quarter. After Kaliakmanis went down the Syracuse defense sold out to stop the run game and it worked because Minnesota had nothing else. Morgan couldn't run and he didn't attempt more than a handful of passes.

Minnesota's offense is more than just hand off to the running back. They also feature play action passing and some QB running into the mix. Once Kaliakmanis went down the QB run part of the equation was out. Also, Morgan was never a good passer even when he was healthy. He played 2/3rds of the game and only threw 7 passes, so that tells you the play action passing part was out of the equation.

All Minnesota had on offense at that point were handoffs to the running backs, similar to the Nebraska/Kansas State game from 1994 when we were down to Matt Turman as our QB. Even with a great offensive line, if you have 5 guys trying to block 7 guys, the 7 guys are probably going to win most of the time.

If you watched the game then you know that when Kaliakmanis was in the Minnesota offense was moving the ball up and down the field fairly easily. I would guess Ibrahim had most of his 77 yards in the first quarter. After Kaliakmanis went down the Syracuse defense sold out to stop the run game and it worked because Minnesota had nothing else. Morgan couldn't run and he didn't attempt more than a handful of passes.
16th rated rushing attack at 207 yds a game, Morgan threw the only 2 TD passes Minny had, they knocked the other QB out of the game, held them to 77 yards rushing.
Other than you dont like Morgan, Cuse defense harassed and got to either QB, knocking the one out.
They held Minnys offense to under a TD of their average.

All fact

The defense itself was created to help minimize the impact of NOT having difference makers on the line and to put more speed on the field. Sure, you throw a Suh, Crick, Wistrom, Peter, etc. in the mix and it makes just holding your own a second thought and makes the defense better. That's true with every defense ever conceived. The 3-3-5 gives NU a chance to do more with less in those roles. We get some next level talent again and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works.

Last edited:

The defense itself was created to help minimize the impact of NOT having difference makers on the line and to put more speed on the field. Sure, you throw a Suh, Crick, Wistrom, Peter, etc. in the mix and it makes just holding your own a second thought and makes the defense better. That's true with every defense ever conceived. The 3-3-5 gives NU a chance to do more with less in those roles. We get some next level talent again and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works.
Theres going to have to be athletic disciplined experienced O linemen to beat it with consistency, You put speed at the edges, a monster or two in the middle, its going to be tough

To be honest with you, you won't have to worry about that as much this year. White's defense is based on an attacking philosophy where he's not asking his down lineman to two gap on every play. In fact in many cases you'll notice two of the three down linemen performing various stunts/twists, especially on 2nd and 3rd downs. This is an attacking defense, not one that relies solely on your front three to individually own two gap responsibility. If somebody like Nash grows into his role as a true, traditional two gap nose guard, then fantastic, but white isn't going to sit around allowing his front three to get blown off the ball if they aren't capable of owning their assigned gaps. He will utilize the talent that he does have up front in the best manner possible. We just don't know what that looks like right now.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back