• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

New Assistant Offensive Coaches

LarstheRed

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
The key there is mesh. Believe it or not I'm not a big fan of getting away from what Scott Frost does on offense. I'm not always a critic of what he does. Its more what he doesn't do. Now when you say mesh if that means getting someone with the knowledge to create blocking schemes in the offensive run game similar to what we had under TO than I am all in. If it leads to a little more running I'm fine with that. I'm not really too excited about going to a triple option run game where we are trying to recreate the 70's offense. My biggest concern is who is calling the plays in a meshed offense. I'll repeat Id be concerned with Brent Davis calling the plays. He has too much of a one dimensional mind and we don't have time for him to grow on the spot expanding his play calling abilities over the next few years.

I was a little concerned by that as well. However, it's hard to know if he's wanted to get more of a RO/Spread feel mixed in with the Flex. To me there is so much potential to really screw with defenses if you can put them in matchup challenges, or confuse their assignment mentality jumping from Spread to Flex.

Beareye

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
To be clear, I have no idea if Davis is hired or a target and don't have an opinion on it. I just think it's very possible if he is that he would want to delay and if so, Frost would accomodate.

It feels urgent to us but if he's the right guy Frost would say yes. These new hires aren't looking at it like a week's delay is fatal. If they believed that or thought Scott or Trev believed that they wouldn't take the job.

I said this before, if overall the caliber of guys they hire here is good, that means Trev is telling them the standard for next year is pretty makeable. It may only have to look like improvement.
The standard for next year needs to be much higher than "show improvement". It's time for bottom-line results to start mattering.

huskernut

Heisman
10 Year Member
The standard for next year needs to be much higher than "show improvement". It's time for bottom-line results to start mattering.
That's fine. You're taking a position. I'm not. I'm just observing. If quality people are brought in and things appear to be improving, Alberts as a manager is going to be cautious about blowing it up. He won't want to do what Pederson did.

Hville

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
That's fine. You're taking a position. I'm not. I'm just observing. If quality people are brought in and things appear to be improving, Alberts as a manager is going to be cautious about blowing it up. He won't want to do what Pederson did.
I believe it needs to improve a lot. Contrary to some opinions I’m pretty sure Trev already wanted to fire him. People above him didn’t. The new contract was middle ground.

36Blast

Objectivity Warden
5 Year Member
Mark Whipple is intriguing. What he's done with Kenny Pickett is impressive.
I'm a big fan of Whipple. Having lived very close to the UMASS campus while he was there for two stints, his offenses were always rather potent. Definitely fun to watch. You can see what he can do with some talent as well (i.e., Pickett).

With that said, I would not go this route. If you think Harrell is pass happy, Whipple is right up there with him. Oftentimes, he refuses to establish a running game and that will kill you in the B1G. The other big concern is his lack of recruiting chops. He's known as a rather poor recruiter, so if Scott is looking for someone to pound the pavement all over the country, he may not be a good fit. And remember, he (Whipple) wasn't considered a good recruiter recruiting the northeast almost exclusively.

From what I know about him (a friend was a S&C guy with Umass for some time), he is players coach and despite being in his mid-60's, he's relates well to todays athletes.

Just not sure he is the right fit for this team. Intriguing nonetheless.

Last edited:

CO4NU

Starter
5 Year Member
OL coach?

Perfect!

427aaed36a1e8e3c7124616e98e41ca0.jpg