• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New assistant coaches.

I am undecided on firing Frost. But give me some reason for hope. We are still losing in the fourth year. Why do think the fifth will be better. What measurable progress have we seen. I don’t include close games as progress.

New people same result. I feel if he gets a useful oc in the big 10 they will outshine him. D side seems good. Bring in Bill O'Brien with the idea of a mobile QB. Let him pick rb wr, and te coaches.

A smart ass comment would be that we are discussing what kind of dress to put on this particular pig.

But seriously, I think we have to think about who would come as assistants in this regime. I know you don't want to go over that plowed ground, but at least we need to think about the probable quality of the coaches you could get to come in as assistants, possibly under one year contracts. They would not be Monte Kiffin types.

So the integration problems would be greater than bringing in a really good one, and the chances of getting a good one would be reduced.

Assuming one of a middling quality would come in, the hope would be that they come from a winning P5 team,so they wouldn't get here until after the recruiting season Dec singing period would be over (they'd be at a bowl game). So little help if any on recruiting.

On changing bad habits and sorting out the strengths and weaknesses of the players, that would take months and probably couldn't really be tested until the first game or two of the season. Practice all americans sometimes fail under real bullets.

If you add that many of our best players will be gone, and that some of our position rooms are nearly empty of talent now, you are asking a lot from any new asst brought in under a one year contract.

Maybe they would give the new guys three years, but that would assume they are sticking with SF for at least an additonal two years. Hard to think they would do that ,and hard to think they want to burden themselves with more contracts to pay out if next year they say no mas to the HC after a fifth year.
You are killing it.

I am undecided on firing Frost. But give me some reason for hope. We are still losing in the fourth year. Why do think the fifth will be better. What measurable progress have we seen. I don’t include close games as progress.
It seems weird that everyone thinks it will be better next year because of the schedule. What happens in 2023 when the schedule gets tougher? Do we give him another year after that because the schedule was tough?

It seems weird that everyone thinks it will be better next year because of the schedule. What happens in 2023 when the schedule gets tougher? Do we give him another year after that because the schedule was tough?
Exactly. If you give him next year and NU goes 7-5 or 8-4 because of the more attractive schedule, the temptation will be to say he turned the corner and extend him. But it might just have been the schedule and we pop back to 4 or 5 wins.

Exactly. If you give him next year and NU goes 7-5 or 8-4 because of the more attractive schedule, the temptation will be to say he turned the corner and extend him. But it might just have been the schedule and we pop back to 4 or 5 wins.
The problem is there is no evidence to support that he's capable of going 7-5 or 8-4. This was Frost's best team here and he still lost to Illinois and Minnesota.

He did good that year at Penn State following the Paterno mess

I was and still am surprised he pulled out two winning seasons after that mess blew up. 8-4 was the most of a first year head coach and that was with the 40 scholarship reduction.

C

The problem is there is no evidence to support that he's capable of going 7-5 or 8-4. This was Frost's best team here and he still lost to Illinois and Minnesota.
Agreed. But NU is 0-3 against the east almost surely this year. The schedule gives a reasonable chance of 2-1 next year. So a 5-7 this year with the same talent and coaching could be 7-5 next year. My point is 7-5 next year should be judged as harshly as 5-7 this year.

O'Brien is intriguing, sitting down in Alabama right now learning under one of the best.

C

I can tell you unequivocally that he's extremely well respected in coaching circles. Bill Belichick vouched for him with Nick Saban, and Saban is glad he did.

I've seen fans murmur that they wouldn't want him, but wherever he goes, he's gonna build a winner. I think he'd be a great hire, personally.

Exactly. Does this roster look better next year after you lose Martinez, Domann, CTB, Toure, Allen, Stille, Williams and Dismuke? Other than hope, what makes anyone realistically think Nebraska goes .500 after losing those guys?

Frost will be "rebuilding" without a winning season under his belt. So technically he'll still be building. In Year 5.

I can tell you unequivocally that he's extremely well respected in coaching circles. Bill Belichick vouched for him with Nick Saban, and Saban is glad he did.

I've seen fans murmur that they wouldn't want him, but wherever he goes, he's gonna build a winner. I think he'd be a great hire, personally.

As a college coach, maybe. But he didn't build anything but a 5 year disaster in Houston.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back