• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Never Have We Ever

Of all the Power 5 Teams Nebraska has never played, which would you most want to see us play?

• Boston College

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Louisville

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Virginia

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Actually Virginia has as much or more history as Boston.
Boston was the scene of the Waterfront Gangs that fought with the Colonial Governor of Massachusetts and the British Military when it was the Massachusetts Bay Company. Governor Andros took the charters from Connecticut and Rhode Island then imposed heavy taxes on incoming goods and trade, forbid colonial sailors from piracy, and forced them to only merchant pre-approved goods. He stripped the protestant separatists of power and forced everyone to obey by his and royal decree. He was loyal to the Catholic King James II and when James lost favor in Great Britain in the 1680's, Andros was arrested and replaced. That was the start of the unrest that ultimately led up to the Boston Massacre nearly 90 years later.

There's so much more that most people don't know about that preceded the first continental congress in Philadelphia.

Our general historical view is parochial because we have for so long been protected from the world's problems by two big oceans. For example, very few of us were taught about the war of the Triple Alliance, a war between Paraguay and a combined force of Brazil, Argentina and Uraguay. Yet it killed somewhere between 60 - 80% of Paraguayn men. It occurred at the same time as our Civil War, one we see as so deadly, but its casualties dwarf our Civil War number.

So I guess we are lucky to have been taught something about our own colonial and revolutionary history. Generally speaking if if didn't happen in the states or involved England, we didn't hear much about it. We seldom think of Orientalists as Russians or Turks, considering that phrase to cover just Asians. The rest of the world sees our view as wrong - the Orient started at Constantinople, and the Russians were more closely related to the Mongols than to the Brits.

Not because we are dumb - we just never paid any attention to huge parts of the world in our classrooms.

So be glad we know the different colonial histories of the protestant, independent New England States and the royalists in Virginia.

Our general historical view is parochial because we have for so long been protected from the world's problems by two big oceans. For example, very few of us were taught about the war of the Triple Alliance, a war between Paraguay and a combined force of Brazil, Argentina and Uraguay. Yet it killed somewhere between 60 - 80% of Paraguayn men. It occurred at the same time as our Civil War, one we see as so deadly, but its casualties dwarf our Civil War number.

So I guess we are lucky to have been taught something about our own colonial and revolutionary history. Generally speaking if if didn't happen in the states or involved England, we didn't hear much about it. We seldom think of Orientalists as Russians or Turks, considering that phrase to cover just Asians. The rest of the world sees our view as wrong - the Orient started at Constantinople, and the Russians were more closely related to the Mongols than to the Brits.

Not because we are dumb - we just never paid any attention to huge parts of the world in our classrooms.

So be glad we know the different colonial histories of the protestant, independent New England States and the royalists in Virginia.
To be fair you could spend years learning about the history of Eastern Europe alone. I discovered an interest in colonial America few years back and started reading about it. I'll probably do the Germanic tribes next. Not everyone is like us though.

I would make an argument for most of them based on regional food. Seafood though in Boston.....I am in. Lobster rolls in the stadium, mussels, hit Boston up. Awesome. WIth that said....I picked Louisville. Closer. Would eat their version of BBQ. But Boston. Yes.

Actually the term Oriental means from the east. So called because prior to the invention of the compass. All maps were "oriented" to the east. Thanks to the compass. They are now all oriented to the north.

Not to be disagreeable but who the russians are related to depends on the area of Russia. Those in the west were more closely related to the Vikings and Slavic peoples. In the east i would not disagree.

Last edited:
Boston was the scene of the Waterfront Gangs that fought with the Colonial Governor of Massachusetts and the British Military when it was the Massachusetts Bay Company. Governor Andros took the charters from Connecticut and Rhode Island then imposed heavy taxes on incoming goods and trade, forbid colonial sailors from piracy, and forced them to only merchant pre-approved goods. He stripped the protestant separatists of power and forced everyone to obey by his and royal decree. He was loyal to the Catholic King James II and when James lost favor in Great Britain in the 1680's, Andros was arrested and replaced. That was the start of the unrest that ultimately led up to the Boston Massacre nearly 90 years later.

There's so much more that most people don't know about that preceded the first continental congress in Philadelphia.
Ok, VA has Williamsburg, one of the very first permanent colonies, Also Roanoke home to the mystery of the missing Colony. Also home to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson. Richmond the capitol of the confederacy, both Battles of Bull Run, as well as many other battles of the Revolutionary, 1812, and Civil wars. The first Colleges in the USA were in VA. Way too many to name. Here is a list. https://www.virginia.org/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/?view=list&sort=qualityScore&bounds=false

Ok, VA has Williamsburg, one of the very first permanent colonies, Also Roanoke home to the mystery of the missing Colony. Also home to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson. Richmond the capitol of the confederacy, both Battles of Bull Run, as well as many other battles of the Revolutionary, 1812, and Civil wars. The first Colleges in the USA were in VA. Way too many to name. Here is a list. https://www.virginia.org/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/?view=list&sort=qualityScore&bounds=false
Right and no one has argued that VA doesn't have a lot of history. For whatever reason you decided to AkShUaLlY me about Boston's history leading up to the Revolutionary War.

Right and no one has argued that VA doesn't have a lot of history. For whatever reason you decided to AkShUaLlY me about Boston's history leading up to the Revolutionary War.
Because you countered my wNting VA and NOT wanting Boston with history. So I countered your counter with another counter.

GET TICKETS

Back