• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Need some feedback

BigRedMax

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
I want to get some input from the members of the board. I’ve started a company with a partner called Fanalytix. He created the new HuskerMax logo and is also from Nebraska and is a Husker fan. We’re in the process of developing new ways for fans to look at games . In one glance you can actually see the story of the whole game and how it unfolded. The graphics show every major stat relevant to the flow of the game presented visually instead of using columns of numbers. This makes it easy to analyze and understand an entire game quickly. Eventually, these graphics will be created in real time for every game and distributed in a number of ways.

The links below takes you to a development site with some sample graphics on it. One of the examples is the Orange Bowl win over Florida from the 1995 season. You can click on one of the games to see it on it’s own page. Currently the graphs are not interactive. There is also a guide on how to read the graphics which details all of the stats and information that are included in each one. We’ve developed graphics for football, basketball, soccer and baseball with others on the way.

We will be posting Nebraska game graphics after every game starting with the Ohio State game next week.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

https://www.fanalytix.net/football

Florida V Nebraska 1996 — Fanalytix

www.fanalytix.net
www.fanalytix.net

Interesting. It's hard to tell if I would use it since the obvious places to click don't currently display any live action to record those occasions. Here are a couple of general comments:

1. Some of the better plays in a game are on defense nd this doesn't display play them.
2. Often an injury can turn the tide of a game, particularly if it is to a QB.
3. You might want to consider plugging in some shots of the fans which in college football is a big deal.
4. Current season records could be posted as a foot note.

But it's a good try.

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea because I am stats wonk myself

@HuskerInOkieland I think would be someone to talk to also as he posts his weekly stats in a thread on the forum every week that are quite detailed. I think he could offer some really good insight.

Last edited:
I want to get some input from the members of the board. I’ve started a company with a partner called Fanalytix. He created the new HuskerMax logo and is also from Nebraska and is a Husker fan. We’re in the process of developing new ways for fans to look at games . In one glance you can actually see the story of the whole game and how it unfolded. The graphics show every major stat relevant to the flow of the game presented visually instead of using columns of numbers. This makes it easy to analyze and understand an entire game quickly. Eventually, these graphics will be created in real time for every game and distributed in a number of ways.

The links below takes you to a development site with some sample graphics on it. One of the examples is the Orange Bowl win over Florida from the 1995 season. You can click on one of the games to see it on it’s own page. Currently the graphs are not interactive. There is also a guide on how to read the graphics which details all of the stats and information that are included in each one. We’ve developed graphics for football, basketball, soccer and baseball with others on the way.

We will be posting Nebraska game graphics after every game starting with the Ohio State game next week.

www.fanalytix.net
www.fanalytix.net
I think that's pretty cool! It took a minute to figure out, but I was able to decipher it all pretty easily without any explanation.

www.fanalytix.net
www.fanalytix.net
That's a cool idea, and I think it's already looking really nice overall.

Maybe this is available in the interactive version, but clicking on an individual drive (or quarter/half/etc.) and being able to see the breakout of rushing/passing/penalty/TOP, etc. for that segment.

Number of plays would also be useful to see, both cumulative and in the context of a drive/segment.

On the outer circle where it gives the total score for the team who just scored, a much smaller, unobtrusive circle with the opponent's score at the time would make it quicker to visualize how the scoreboard stood at that moment.

Thanks for the great responses. I'm Brian Niemann, David's partner in this new venture. We're just getting started but really excited about the possibilities. This input will be important for us as begin development of the real-time interactive versions. The first widely distributed Fanalytix graphic will be for the Husker game this weekend. I realize it will be extremely tough to pull a win out of the horseshoe but I'm hoping this will be one to save and remember as the game that signaled things are different and the Big Red is on the road back to dominance. Thanks again for taking the time to check out the graphics.

Maybe this is available in the interactive version, but clicking on an individual drive (or quarter/half/etc.) and being able to see the breakout of rushing/passing/penalty/TOP, etc. for that segment.

Number of plays would also be useful to see, both cumulative and in the context of a drive/segment.

Both of these features are on the drawing board for version 2.0.

Overall, the graphic is an interesting way of displaying data. I actually started with the Nebraska game (before looking at a cheat sheet) and it took me awhile to figure out what was going on; the cheat sheet helped a lot. Here are some specific comments:
  • Even though there's the cheat sheet, it might be helpful to add a "start here" indicator on the graphic, along with an arrow that points in the direction that a reader should follow to interpret the data
  • I was interested in knowing the number of plays in each drive and the distance of each play. I was thinking that you could add that info as a visual within ea. drive
  • I had a hard time noting where turnovers occurred and what type of turnover it was
I hope this is helpful!

And maybe some game video hilights of the big plays in each scoring drive?

I think it's pretty cool.

Personally I'd find this useful during commercials, halftime breaks and post game... as a way to analyze the game using data/stats.

During televised games (which most all are these days), I prefer to watch the action. That said, I'd really like it if networks would regularly offer multiple camera shots/angles... and even "hot mics" to allow the remote viewer more "live" experiences.

But I digress... I think the Fanalytix is interesting and will be worth a test drive. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm a numbers guy and often check stats during games. I typically wouldn't be a graph guy but others might be. It might grow on me though. I'm also aware that most people are likely to be visual/graph type of people.

I concur with wanting to see # of plays in the series...really helpful to know if the 69 yard drive was 2 big plays or 12 grinding plays.

I agree and think adding details like that will be a valuable addition. When it comes to number of plays, of course it's not an exact science but you can often infer the type of drive by the time of possession. The relative size of those sections also show things like how the defense is doing and what the team's red zone results are. It's possible a team is holding onto the ball, putting together long drives, but not ending up in the end zone. That is the kind of trend that is interesting to follow and can be predictive for a similar situation in the future. Thanks again to everybody for taking the time to check the graphics out and give your thoughts.

Last edited:

Definitely makes me want to play darts. I think the concept looks interesting for sure. It will be fun to see what it becomes!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back