• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska vs UCLA Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And let's put a moratorium on dissing the Pac 12. Because the Pac 12 is clowing the Big 10 in a BIG way. Two no-name, un-ranked Pac 12 teams spanked 2 ranked big 10 teams. I wasn't happy with going to the big 10 for football reasons and this is why. it's a bad football conference...and while NU wasn't killing it in the Big 12 I'm afraid the Big 10 is going to rub off on NU. A few years from now a game like tonight won't matter....cuz all that matters is the stinkin rose bowl.

UCLA's kicker missed 2 FGs.

NU scores 30 -- and they'd darn well better win against a freshman QB and a first year HC from the NFL... against a UCLA team that hasn't won squat in I don't know how many years.

Flat out... our defense is pathetic! Horrible! You hire a supposed defensive mastermind as your head coach, and there is simply zero excuse for this. Year five. Zero excuse. It's been on a downward trend since Suh left.

We were pretty salty in 2010 as well, even without Suh...but I can't explain that last 14 months...2008, sure. It's like generally our O has gotten better than 2009-2010, but our d has gotten worse. I still say it starts up front on both sides...we don't have the athletes generally speaking....

NU scores 30 -- and they'd darn well better win against a freshman QB and a first year HC from the NFL... against a UCLA team that hasn't won squat in I don't know how many years.

Flat out... our defense is pathetic! Horrible! You hire a supposed defensive mastermind as your head coach, and there is simply zero excuse for this. Year five. Zero excuse. It's been on a downward trend since Suh left.

I guess he hasn't recruited the right guys for his system. You shouldn't be saying that in year 5. I appreciate that Bo is getting 9 wins a season, but at some point the fans have to see progress.

No doubt we cant make excuse's anymore . 5 years into the programs I would thought the D would get better . My disappointment is BO is a D expert or so I thought . So in my limited knowledge it's not scheme it atheletes .Recruit's are what we need

I have no idea what uclas game plan is, I do know Nebraskas game plan is field goal try's are money.....the lack is a surprise and a big deal.
Yes the defense needs fixing. You should write Mcbride a letter and explain how we need to go back to our total domination straight line awesomeness (sarcasm intended, you might ask Charlie about all those house for sale signs)

We were pretty salty in 2010 as well, even without Suh...but I can't explain that last 14 months...2008, sure. It's like generally our O has gotten better than 2009-2010, but our d has gotten worse. I still say it starts up front on both sides...we don't have the athletes generally speaking....

we were fine in 2010... because we went up against a bunch of pass happy offenses with a loaded defensive backfield. did the same in 2009, but Suh wreaked havoc at the line. even in 2010, we weren't very good against the run -- but didn't need to be. minus Suh dismantling just about every play call, we simply cannot stop a team that is capable of running. mobile QBs, solid RBs, whatever. we give the opposition's offense a 3-4 yard cushion right off the bat on every play if they want it.

I have no idea what uclas game plan is, I do know Nebraskas game plan is field goal try's are money.....the lack is a surprise and a big deal.
Yes the defense needs fixing. You should write Mcbride a letter and explain how we need to go back to our total domination straight line awesomeness (sarcasm intended, you might ask Charlie about all those house for sale signs)

FG tries are money if you have the defense to back it up. :)

Final thoughts:

WARNING: The following is not for the faint hearted.

I don’t know what to say about this one. I don’t know where this team goes from here. In year 5 of the Pelini era, this game could have been coached by Pelini, Callahan, Solich, or whomever. The same crappola over and over and over again.

Cue up the excuse machine. Here it comes. Wait for it. Wait for it.

“We’re really a good football team, we just keep making silly mistakes.”

How many times will we hear that in the following week? What’s the over-under?

P.J. Smith said in a recent interview that we have only been beaten once in his five years. The other times, we beat ourselves. I wonder what category he will put this loss in.

A total team effort loss. The defense lost the first half. The offense lost the second half. We basically got beat by a safety. A friggin safety.

Oh, and our All American kicker missing FGs and shanking punts didn’t help either. Luckily, their terrible kicker was able to keep pace with Maher kick for kick.

We got every break. But we couldn’t tackle anyone. Did anyone notice the difference in the crisp hits their defense was delivering in the second half and the reach out and pray tackles of our defense. A coach I knew was fond of saying, “it is hard to tackle, when you’re holding your skirt.” That kind of describes some of the tackling I saw out there. But their QB went down with an injury. What a break. He comes back in and cannot hardly move. We still find a way to miss tackle after tackle after tackle after tackle after tackle after tackle after tackle . . .

But take solace in the fact that “We really are a good football team, we just keep making silly mistakes.”

This year is different. We got each other’s backs. Last year was last year. Remember Kenny Bell fumbling the opening kickoff against Michigan last year? Won’t happen this year, right? Abdullah with the fumble on the opening play of the half. Seem familiar?

You can almost set your watch by it.

Remember Maher missing a key FG against SC last year? Won’t happen this year. His missed FG in the second half was huge. There is no way to spin it. It was a shot in the foot that we never really recovered from.

Remember Taylor Martinez wilting under pressure in second half of games last year and the year before? He’s a new man. Oops. Did anybody notice his eyes when they did a closeup? Did he even look like he had a clue in the second half? The results speak for themselves.

He was throwing off his back foot again.

Remember all the key third down drops in games the past few years? Not happening this year. Turner and Reed with two huge third down drops today. Out of nowhere. Just like the Abdullah fumble. Out of nowhere, all of a sudden.

You could set your watch by it.

Another bad omen was the false start on the opening play. We false started another play but it was not called.

And seriously, how do you pick up a personal foul penalty on a kick out of the endzone AND a blocking penalty on a punt we clearly were not going to field or return?

We are never, ever going to get better until we realize that good teams don’t keep making silly mistakes. We do. That’s why we listen to chants of “overrated” from opposing teams’ crowds.

Some would say our defense played well in the second half. I disagree. Their QB was hurt. Their offense was severly limited after that. But time after time, our defense let them flip the field and left our struggling offense in terrible field positions. It’s nice that we stiffened, but once in awhile, a three and out when we have the other team starting at their 20 or so would be nice.

Not to leave our coaches out of it. There was a critical turn in this game that basically sealed our fate. We had a great drive going when we reached a critical third and long two. I hated the FB trap up the middle there. I thought it might be 4 down territory but the play lost us a half yard. Then came the missed FG. Then once again, our defense misses a bunch of tackles and lets them move the ball to our territory. Then they stiffened, and we end up on our 5 yard line . . . again. The second consecutive series.

It is almost mind-boggling the play we ran next. A shotgun zone read play where we let a DL come free thru the line and Martinez sees him all the way, . . . and keeps the ball . . . like a deer in headlights. Safety. Ballgame.

Terrible play call, terrible execution. A total team meltdown loss.

I don’t know where this team goes from here. These guys just won’t learn that you have to play every play, every down. They won’t learn that it takes a sustained effort week in and week out to get back to the top. One victory or one great series of triumphs doesn’t do it. It’s grinding it out every play, every week.

I think UCLA understands that. I guess we shall see.

We got out played, out-coached, out-hustled, out-physicalled, out-quicked and yet, we lost only by 6.

That’s what is so sad. We don’t have to be perfect. We just need to get out of our own way. We haven’t done it in over a decade. We have a murderous schedule this year. Maybe that is a good thing. Maybe we can admit that we aren’t quite good enough, and find what it takes to get better. We’d better in a hurry.

I don’t know where this team is going. I give UCLA credit. They deserved to win. They outplayed us. They wanted it more.

I’m sorry I don’t have anything more positive to say. This was another bad loss. It reminds me of so many others.

This team needs to dig down deep and figure some things out or this could be a rough season.

Take care all.

Last edited:
FG tries are money if you have the defense to back it up. :)

Ha ha! By money, I meant a field goal attempt under 50 yards in the last few years has been 3 points, automatic. This year? Field goal attempt equals turnover on downs.

So 6 points gone. And believe me, that affects play calling and tenor of the game going forward.

I understand there are some who think field goals are no big deal, I think they are, and they were the difference tonight.
29 to 27 ucla lead when we got the ball back with three some minutes to go.
Change that to ucla 29 Nebraska 33, I like our chances. But it's all woulda coulda shoulda.
I Think the kicking game needs fixed

Ha ha! By money, I meant a field goal attempt under 50 yards in the last few years has been 3 points, automatic. This year? Field goal attempt equals turnover on downs.

So 6 points gone. And believe me, that affects play calling and tenor of the game going forward.

I understand there are some who think field goals are no big deal, I think they are, and they were the difference tonight.
29 to 27 ucla lead when we got the ball back with three some minutes to go.
Change that to ucla 29 Nebraska 33, I like our chances. But it's all woulda coulda shoulda.
I Think the kicking game needs fixed

... I just think if you score 30... and you're a legitimate team, you win the darn game. Unless you're content being a team like Hawaii.

Final thoughts:

WARNING: The following is not for the faint hearted.

I don’t know what to say about this one. I don’t know where this team goes from here. In year 5 of the Pelini era, this game could have been coached by Pelini, Callahan, Solich, or whomever. The same crappola over and over and over again.

Cue up the excuse machine. Here it comes. Wait for it. Wait for it.

“We’re really a good football team, we just keep making silly mistakes.”

How many times will we hear that in the following week? What’s the over-under?

P.J. Smith said in a recent interview that we have only been beaten once in his five years. The other times, we beat ourselves. I wonder what category he will put this loss in.

A total team effort loss. The defense lost the first half. The offense lost the second half. We basically got beat by a safety. A friggin safety.

Oh, and our All American kicker missing FGs and shanking punts didn’t help either. Luckily, their terrible kicker was able to keep pace with Maher kick for kick.

We got every break. But we couldn’t tackle anyone. Did anyone notice the difference in the crisp hits their defense was delivering in the second half and the reach out and pray tackles of our defense. A coach I knew was fond of saying, “it is hard to tackle, when you’re holding your skirt.” That kind of describes some of the tackling I saw out there. But their QB went down with an injury. What a break. He comes back in and cannot hardly move. We still find a way to miss tackle after tackle after tackle after tackle after tackle after tackle after tackle . . .

But take solace in the fact that “We really are a good football team, we just keep making silly mistakes.”

This year is different. We got each other’s backs. Last year was last year. Remember Kenny Bell fumbling the opening kickoff against Michigan last year? Won’t happen this year, right? Abdullah with the fumble on the opening play of the half. Seem familiar?

You can almost set your watch by it.

Remember Maher missing a key FG against SC last year? Won’t happen this year. His missed FG in the second half was huge. There is no way to spin it. It was a shot in the foot that we never really recovered from.

Remember Taylor Martinez wilting under pressure in second half of games last year and the year before? He’s a new man. Oops. Did anybody notice his eyes when they did a closeup? Did he even look like he had a clue in the second half? The results speak for themselves.

He was throwing off his back foot again.

Remember all the key third down drops in games the past few years? Not happening this year. Turner and Reed with two huge third down drops today. Out of nowhere. Just like the Abdullah fumble. Out of nowhere, all of a sudden.

You could set your watch by it.

Another bad omen was the false start on the opening play. We false started another play but it was not called.

And seriously, how do you pick up a personal foul penalty on a kick out of the endzone AND a blocking penalty on a punt we clearly were not going to field or return?

We are never, ever going to get better until we realize that good teams don’t keep making silly mistakes. We do. That’s why we listen to chants of “overrated” from opposing teams’ crowds.

Some would say our defense played well in the second half. I disagree. Their QB was hurt. Their offense was severly limited after that. But time after time, our defense let them flip the field and left our struggling offense in terrible field positions. It’s nice that we stiffened, but once in awhile, a three and out when we have the other team starting at their 20 or so would be nice.

Not to leave our coaches out of it. There was a critical turn in this game that basically sealed our fate. We had a great drive going when we reached a critical third and long two. I hated the FB trap up the middle there. I thought it might be 4 down territory but the play lost us a half yard. Then came the missed FG. Then once again, our defense misses a bunch of tackles and lets them move the ball to our territory. Then they stiffened, and we end up on our 5 yard line . . . again. The second consecutive series.

It is almost mind-boggling the play we ran next. A shotgun zone read play where we let a DL come free thru the line and Martinez sees him all the way, . . . and keeps the ball . . . like a deer in headlights. Safety. Ballgame.

Terrible play call, terrible execution. A total team meltdown loss.

I don’t know where this team goes from here. These guys just won’t learn that you have to play every play, every down. They won’t learn that it takes a sustained effort week in and week out to get back to the top. One victory or one great series of triumphs doesn’t do it. It’s grinding it out every play, every week.

I think UCLA understands that. I guess we shall see.

We got out played, out-coached, out-hustled, out-physicalled, out-quicked and yet, we lost only by 6.

That’s what is so sad. We don’t have to be perfect. We just need to get out of our own way. We haven’t done it in over a decade. We have a murderous schedule this year. Maybe that is a good thing. Maybe we can admit that we aren’t quite good enough, and find what it takes to get better. We’d better in a hurry.

I don’t know where this team is going. I give UCLA credit. They deserved to win. They outplayed us. They wanted it more.

I’m sorry I don’t have anything more positive to say. This was another bad loss. It reminds me of so many others.

This team needs to dig down deep and figure some things out or this could be a rough season.

Take care all.

As always, a great recap of the game by HIO. You pull no punches, you say like it is, your recaps should be mandatory reading by posters and coaches alike as you make valid points everywhere. That great drive that stalled with the up the middle play and then the missed field goal was the turning point, I agree. I kept hoping for a big play on defense but it never came. A tough loss no matter how you look at it. Let's hope it's the only one of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back