• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Oregon Game Thread (9/9/17)

Super disappointed in the first half D, but the adjustment gives me some hope.

That being said, I would have been even more disappointed if the halves were switched and we completely collapsed in the second half.

Credit the players for fighting til the end. We had a real shot to send it into overtime which virtually nobody would have guessed at the half.

(As a side note this thread painted a crystal clear picture of the intent of several members here. They will be on permanent 'ignore'. I have no need to listen to rubish from folks that truly have no support for this program.)
Amen!

A player player that I haven't seen much praise given towards is Mick Stoltenberg. He get's double teamed every play and still finds a way to have an impact. Imagine what he could do if we could ever put him position where he doesn't have 2 or 3 guys blocking him....

A player player that I haven't seen much praise given towards is Mick Stoltenberg. He get's double teamed every play and still finds a way to have an impact. Imagine what he could do if we could ever put him position where he doesn't have 2 or 3 guys blocking him....

He's got a truly daunting role on this team week in and week out. Maybe the most demanding position on the team.

Super disappointed in the first half D, but the adjustment gives me some hope.

That being said, I would have been even more disappointed if the halves were switched and we completely collapsed in the second half.

Credit the players for fighting til the end. We had a real shot to send it into overtime which virtually nobody would have guessed at the half.

(As a side note this thread painted a crystal clear picture of the intent of several members here. They will be on permanent 'ignore'. I have no need to listen to rubbish from folks that truly have no support for this program.)

I just got on, RR, so I don't know who you "ignored", or why. The other day I made my 1st "ignore" in all the years I have been on the forum. Like you, tired of the rubbish!! Good for you, RR.

Hell of a game! Could have won the game, except for one more problem to fix. I'll keep it to myself, for now. Proud of the team, period!!! GBR!!

Final Game Thoughts.

I checked out of the game thread at halftime, but I still managed to watch the second half while I worked.

Those who read my halftime thoughts know how angry I was. Not at getting beat. But at the lack of fire being shown by players on both sides of the ball. As things spun out of control in the second quarter, there were players burying their heads in the dirt hoping their ten teammates would make the next play. The radio announcers even commented on the disturbing body language of our players.

We played scared. We played intimidated. The moment was just too big for us. We lost our composure and let the game get away from us.

The first half reminded me so much of the Miami game at Miami three years ago. Miami looked faster than us. Miami looked more physical than us.

To quote my old coach again, “you can’t play football while holding down your skirt.” It is amazing how much faster and more physical the other team will look when you play scared. But just like that game, Nebraska managed to come back against all odds in the second half—only to fall short in the end.

I hate to say it, but if Tanner Lee was half as good as Tommy Armstrong was in the second half of that game, we would have won big today.

To be blunt, Tanner Lee had an off day. His throws were sailing on him all day. But as the game progressed, his timing got worse and worse. When Tre Bryant left the game with a leg injury, the Huskers were suddenly punch less on offense. Hopefully Lee can shake off this performance and learn from it. His four interceptions were killers although to be fair, the first one was a bad drop by Morgan (ball was extremely well thrown) and the last one was caused by a player clipping his arm as he threw.

Nebraska’s receiving core didn’t exactly have a perfect day either. Morgan had a poor first half but came up big in the second half. Pierson-El was up and down all day. He fair catches a punt on the five. But his touchdown catch was a thing of beauty. But his false start in the first half on fourth down was a mind boggling mistake. Meanwhile, Spielman and Lindsey are still growing.

Skeptics of the pass game will point out that Lee threw the ball 41 times—not a recipe for success. But when you are down 28 in the second half, most teams will start passing the football quite a bit. However, it did seem that we could have mixed some runs in there more often in the fourth quarter to try and take some pressure off the passing game. In reality, we had plenty of time. A couple of more runs might have made a big difference.

The problem was that Tre Bryant hobbled off the field and Mikale WIlbon hadn’t had many touches at that point. And Ziggy is in a doghouse somewhere hoping someone will throw him a bone.

Defensively, we went from about as bad as you can get to shutting out Oregon in the second half. A couple of things helped us there. One, Oregon got out of their game plan. Two, NU’s offense started to move the ball and hold onto it more consistently. In the first half, NU did not have a single first down on any of their non-scoring drives. The second half, the offense at least moved the ball on the non-scoring drives. This had an additional benefit of helping the field position battle.

Already playing without Chris Jones, things looked miserable for Nebraska when Josh Kalu left the game with a hamstring injury. Give credit to Antonio Reed. I thought he played some of his best football substituting for Kalu. He had a big half.

I liked what I saw from Weber, Gifford, and even Marcus Newby in that second half. The defensive line did its job. Dicaprio Bootle and Eric Lee came up big on some plays in the secondary.

The problem with this defense is that the only CAT linebacker on the team is a true freshman who isn’t ready. The defense is pretty solid against the run but the lack of a pass rush is going to be there all year. I wonder if there is another team in America with as anemic a pass rush as Nebraska. Going forward, I am not sure how Diaco compensates for this.

We got pretty banged up today. Bryant, Gifford, and Kalu all left the field with significant looking injuries. Gifford came back on the next drive. We shall see if Bryant and Kalu will be out for awhile.

Speaking of injuries, from what I saw Farniok had a pretty good day in his first start. He should only get better. Also, John Raridon made his debut when Foster had to leave for a play however, he didn’t fair so well.

One quick question. Why did Pierson-El fair catch that final punt at the 44? It looked like he had lots of field to work with. Down by seven with time running out, you would think he would be eager to make an impact.

What I would like to see going forward is a more balanced rushing attack. Bryant had a nice game going over 100 yards again, but his knee is always going to be an issue. Let’s get Wilbon some carries and if we aren’t going to use Ziggy (I suspect that we will) then we need to get Bradley in there. If we are going to use Ziggy, let’s get him in there.

We are a work in progress. The team may have found some things in the locker room at halftime. What could have been a disastrously embarrassing loss perhaps became a crucible-point for a young team needing to grow up under fire.

The team is 1-1. I said last week I didn’t know what I saw. I still don’t know after week 2.

The season is still there. Time to get back to work.

Take care all.

Last edited:
Not sure why he called for a fair catch. Looks like he had room to run
I noticed it also, but it was a split-second decision, and I don't blame him. I believe, he thought he would get wiped out if he didn't call the FC. Not that it matters, but I was ok with it. :) But, I wish he had gone for the catch and run. Water under the bridge. I am sure they will talk to him about that. I am sure he will not fair catch it, next time.

Last edited:

Final Game Thoughts.

I checked out of the game thread at halftime, but I still managed to watch the second half while I worked.

Those who read my halftime thoughts know how angry I was. Not at getting beat. But at the lack of fire being shown by players on both sides of the ball. As things spun out of control in the second quarter, there were players burying their heads in the dirt hoping their ten teammates would make the next play. The radio announcers even commented on the disturbing body language of our players.

We played scared. We played intimidated. The moment was just too big for us. We lost our composure and let the game get away from us.

The first half reminded me so much of the Miami game at Miami three years ago. Miami looked faster than us. Miami looked more physical than us.

To quote my old coach again, “you can’t play football while holding down your skirt.” It is amazing how much faster and more physical the other team will look when you play scared. But just like that game, Nebraska managed to come back against all odds in the second half—only to fall short in the end.

I hate to say it, but if Tanner Lee was half as good as Tommy Armstrong was in the second half of that game, we would have won big today.

To be blunt, Tanner Lee had an off day. His throws were sailing on him all day. But as the game progressed, his timing got worse and worse. When Tre Bryant left the game with a leg injury, the Huskers were suddenly punch less on offense. Hopefully Lee can shake off this performance and learn from it. His four interceptions were killers although to be fair, the first one was a bad drop by Morgan (ball was extremely well thrown) and the last one was caused by a player clipping his arm as he threw.

Nebraska’s receiving core didn’t exactly have a perfect day either. Morgan had a poor first half but came up big in the second half. Pierson-El was up and down all day. He fair catches a punt on the five. But his touchdown catch was a thing of beauty. But his false start in the first half on fourth down was a mind boggling mistake. Meanwhile, Spielman and Lindsey are still growing.

Skeptics of the pass game will point out that Lee threw the ball 41 times—not a recipe for success. But when you are down 28 in the second half, most teams will start passing the football quite a bit. However, it did seem that we could have mixed some runs in there more often in the fourth quarter to try and take some pressure off the passing game. In reality, we had plenty of time. A couple of more runs might have made a big difference.

The problem was that Tre Bryant hobbled off the field and Mikale WIlbon hadn’t had many touches at that point. And Ziggy is in a doghouse somewhere hoping someone will throw him a bone.

Defensively, we went from about as bad as you can get to shutting out Oregon in the second half. A couple of things helped us there. One, Oregon got out of their game plan. Two, NU’s offense started to move the ball and hold onto it more consistently. In the first half, NU did not have a single first down on any of their non-scoring drives. The second half, the offense at least moved the ball on the non-scoring drives. This had an additional benefit of helping the field position battle.

Already playing without Chris Jones, things looked miserable for Nebraska when Josh Kalu left the game with a hamstring injury. Give credit to Antonio Reed. I thought he played some of his best football substituting for Kalu. He had a big half.

I liked what I saw from Weber, Gifford, and even Marcus Newby in that second half. The defensive line did its job. Dicaprio Bootle and Eric Lee came up big on some plays in the secondary.

The problem with this defense is that the only CAT linebacker on the team is a true freshman who isn’t ready. The defense is pretty solid against the run but the lack of a pass rush is going to be there all year. I wonder if there is another team in America with as anemic a pass rush as Nebraska. Going forward, I am not sure how Diaco compensates for this.

We got pretty banged up today. Bryant, Gifford, and Kalu all left the field with significant looking injuries. Gifford came back on the next drive. We shall see if Bryant and Kalu will be out for awhile.

Speaking of injuries, from what I saw Farniok had a pretty good day in his first start. He should only get better. Also, John Raridon made his debut when Foster had to leave for a play however, he didn’t fair so well.

One quick question. Why did Pierson-El fair catch that final punt at the 44? It looked like he had lots of field to work with. Down by seven with time running out, you would think he would be eager to make an impact.

What I would like to see going forward is a more balanced rushing attack. Bryant had a nice game going over 100 yards again, but his knee is always going to be an issue. Let’s get Wilbon some carries and if we aren’t going to use Ziggy (I suspect that we will) then we need to get Bradley in there. If we are going to use Ziggy, let’s get him in there.

We are a work in progress. The team may have found some things in the locker room at halftime. What could have been a disastrously embarrassing loss perhaps became a crucible-point for a young team needing to grow up under fire.

The team is 1-1. I said last week I didn’t know what I saw. I still don’t know after week 2.

The season is still there. Time to get back to work.

Take care all.

Great stuff as always

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back