• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Ohio State Gameday Weather Forecast -- Updated Friday, Page 2, Post #18

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
Kickoff at 11AM CDT/Noon EDT in Columbus, OH.

The weather for our first game of the 2020 season is going to be a bit of a challenge.

As it appears now, Saturday will bring about a change in the weather. Friday looks quite warm in Columbus, but at this time, both major computer models are forecasting a cold front to move through on Saturday. Timing of the front currently looks like Saturday morning, meaning the game itself will be played in mostly or completely colder air. Exact timing of the front will need to be refined as we get closer to Saturday, as no model is accurate down to a few hours several days in advance.

Best guess at this point is the game will be played with temperatures in the 50s, though it may actually fall during the game as this is a stronger-than-average cold front. It's still October, thankfully, as this front a month later would be quite a bit colder.

It won't be just temperatures to monitor. There's also a rain chance associated with the front. Currently, the best chance for rain will be early in the day, meaning the game itself would have minimal rain impacts -- but again, will need to refine the exact timing of the front to help refine the timing of the rain. At this time, best chance for rain is Saturday morning, decreasing during the afternoon. But still can't rule out rain for the game itself at this point in a forecast.

I'd also expect some wind with the front. It won't be light to calm winds. Uncertainty if the wind is more in the 10-15 MPH range or stronger.

Obviously, this forecast will need some updating as the week progresses. Main take away at this point is that the weather has the potential to play a role. It's not a clearly sunny, mild type of day being expected.

The weather for our first game of the 2020 season is going to be a bit of a challenge.

As it appears now, Saturday will bring about a change in the weather. Friday looks quite warm in Columbus, but at this time, both major computer models are forecasting a cold front to move through on Saturday. Timing of the front currently looks like Saturday morning, meaning the game itself will be played in mostly or completely colder air. Exact timing of the front will need to be refined as we get closer to Saturday, as no model is accurate down to a few hours several days in advance.

Best guess at this point is the game will be played with temperatures in the 50s, though it may actually fall during the game as this is a stronger-than-average cold front. It's still October, thankfully, as this front a month later would be quite a bit colder.

It won't be just temperatures to monitor. There's also a rain chance associated with the front. Currently, the best chance for rain will be early in the day, meaning the game itself would have minimal rain impacts -- but again, will need to refine the exact timing of the front to help refine the timing of the rain. At this time, best chance for rain is Saturday morning, decreasing during the afternoon. But still can't rule out rain for the game itself at this point in a forecast.

I'd also expect some wind with the front. It won't be light to calm winds. Uncertainty if the wind is more in the 10-15 MPH range or stronger.

Obviously, this forecast will need some updating as the week progresses. Main take away at this point is that the weather has the potential to play a role. It's not a clearly sunny, mild type of day being expected.
Always enjoy your weather report HWM,thanks for taking the time to put this information together and thanks for posting it on HM.Keep the faith.GBR.

You should do a report something like this HWM......

SNOW!!!

Even though Luke is from Colorado, he hasn't played QB long enough to experienced much in the way of snow games. I think you'll have to look to Masker for cold weather QB experience.

Some improvements to the forecast.

Looks like the front will move through Friday PM. The best chance of rain comes ahead of the front, then possibly lingering behind it for a while, but lighter. As a result, the rain should be mostly if not completely gone by the Noon local time kickoff. I don't believe precipitation is going to be a concern for the game.

Unfortunately, they'll just miss out on the 70s to near 80 for highs Thursday and Friday in Columbus. Saturday will be much cooler -- but minus rain falling, it will be a bearable cooler air. Kickoff temperature around 50, maybe rising to the mid-50s by game's end. However, it will be mostly cloudy to overcast and a bit windy -- though at this point, wind doesn't look strong. Maybe the 10-15 MPH range, 20 MPH gusts possible -- though the models suggest lighter than that possibly.

While it's chilly for late-October, it's not like playing in wintertime conditions either. Not bad.

I'll update once more later in the week.

Some improvements to the forecast.

Looks like the front will move through Friday PM. The best chance of rain comes ahead of the front, then possibly lingering behind it for a while, but lighter. As a result, the rain should be mostly if not completely gone by the Noon local time kickoff. I don't believe precipitation is going to be a concern for the game.

Unfortunately, they'll just miss out on the 70s to near 80 for highs Thursday and Friday in Columbus. Saturday will be much cooler -- but minus rain falling, it will be a bearable cooler air. Kickoff temperature around 50, maybe rising to the mid-50s by game's end. However, it will be mostly cloudy to overcast and a bit windy -- though at this point, wind doesn't look strong. Maybe the 10-15 MPH range, 20 MPH gusts possible -- though the models suggest lighter than that possibly.

While it's chilly for late-October, it's not like playing in wintertime conditions either. Not bad.

I'll update once more later in the week.
So basically the only precipitation will be coming from the husker fans eyes in front of their tv sets ?

Last edited:

I was in Columbus when we played 2 years ago and that was also a cold day. Against Ohio State, weather is pretty far down my list of fears lol maybe we'll run more option!?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back