• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Northwestern (10/13/18)

With as big of a mess as the program has been since 2003, how can you be so sure it's going to get better?

Guys like McCaffrey and the other highly regarded Frost recruits aren't signed yet and the new redshirt and transfer rules (one of which goes into effect in two days, and it's written so badly that even Greg Bell can take advantage of that one despite the fact he's already been granted a scholly release) aren't going to help coaches keep guys around at any school. There's absolutely no guarantee that Nebraska will get the players necessary to compete in the Big 10, never mind compete on a national scale.

It's really a testament to Bob Devaney, Osborne and their assistants that Nebraska football ever became relevant on a national scale in the first place. Nebraska doesn't have built in recruiting advantages like schools in Florida, California or Texas. Nebraska would hardly be the first CFB national power to lose that status and not be able to ever regain it.
Yep. You should just find another team now.

It is ABSOLUTELY a correct use of the term. Husker fans create a HIGH demand for good football. If we didn't, the University wouldn't dump huge sums of money into facilities and coaches. If the fans didn't care if we won or lost, there wouldn't be a 35 million dollar HC on our sidelines. You clearly haven't thought this through. There are exactly ZERO perennial powerhouses that don't have a rabid fanbase.

Edit: and your claim about being nationally relevant is wrong as well. If you're in the championship game of a Power 5 conference, you're nationally relevant. When you're in it 3 out if 4 years while changing conferences, you're definitely relevant. Unless, of course, the definition of relevant has changed in the last decade.

I have completely thought this through.

First of all, spending does not guarantee success and there is absolutely no guarantee it continues. If it were a guarantee of success, Nebraska would have been successful under Callahan, Pelini and Riley. Alabama would have been successful under Mike DuBose, Franchione and Mike Shula. The one point you're correct about is fans care about winning. The lack of it under Riley is why hotel managers have said in multiple articles run by the Nebraska newspapers that the demand for hotel rooms on game day started to get soft last season and why Osborne said the sellout streak would likely have ended had Riley stayed around. The losing continues, that's exactly what's going to occur again and perhaps as soon as 2020. Warren Buffett doesn't donate to the athletic department. There are limitations.

Secondly, no, losing in a CCG does not mean your program is nationally relevant. That's especially true when you're not even ranked in the top 10 when the game's played, as was the case in 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2012. Even if I were to grant you that Nebraska was nationally relevant in 2012 when they got blown out by Wisconsin, today's HS kids that Frost needs to get were age 6 or younger the last time Nebraska was relevant. Luckily for Nebraska, most of them probably either didn't watch that game or don't remember it. Unless the kid's already got a connection to the school or the program, selling the history and tradition isn't usually going to work. If it did, Indiana, Minnesota and other programs would get better players than they usually get. The most likely reason Frost has only lost a single guy from the 2019 class is he's selling the opportunity to come in and play ahead of guys on the current roster.

Last edited:
I hear this all the time- what advantages does a
Place like Columbus Ohio or state college PA have over Lincoln? I’ve been to all theee (I live in NY) and that are absolutely almost identical.

It doesn’t seem to be bothering those towns/programs.

The advantage isn't in the town. It's the population and the HS programs in those states. The point I was trying to make is it's easier to recruit at tOSU or PSU because on any given year there are more D-1A quality in-state players and generally it's easier to get those guys.

I'd agree. I hate to hang this game on the officiating. One of the PI calls was weak, but other than that, most were bang-bang and didn't go in our favor.

Defense needs to cinch it up tighter, and OL needs to blow people off the ball.

Problem is, our OL and DL are below average. And there's nothing but time that can fix that.G
I'd agree. I hate to hang this game on the officiating. One of the PI calls was weak, but other than that, most were bang-bang and didn't go in our favor.

Defense needs to cinch it up tighter, and OL needs to blow people off the ball.

Problem is, our OL and DL are below average. And there's nothing but time that can fix thac.

Way below average. To compound the problem, we lack team speed across the board, especially on defense.

Way below average. To compound the problem, we lack team speed across the board, especially on defense.

IMO, team speed is priority one. No separation by our WR excluding #10. Linebackers with cement shoes...thank God #7 and#12 have heart. DBs holding WRs and still getting burned, etc. etc. etc.

We lack good senior leadership on this team. Some of the seniors on this team are the ones that are undisciplined, lack the necessary fire and they are making many of the mistakes that are the difference between winning and losing. Every week it seems to be the same players. Look at the big mistakes today. Aaron Williams had a terrible day and Dedrick Young and three year playing junior Lamar Jackson constantly have problems. Young and Jackson actually played better today, at points. Farmer and Foster had big mistakes on offense. They need to be leaders and set the tone for the younger guys, yet they are the ones who are making the key mistakes. They have not been held accountable during their entire time at NU and you cannot just turn on leadership tools. The good teams of the 90s had excellent senior leadership. That is one of the key things we are missing, in my opinion.

The offense has to score on almost every possession with this system which is damn near impossible unless your Ohio State playing the 2017 Huskers. SF played defense in the NFL, he coached defense at Northern Iowa, he needs to get involved in the defense and stop saying crap like “I don’t call the defense” in post game pressers. Chinanders defense can and does work but it ain’t working right now.
Talent and depth

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back