• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska vs Michigan State Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is really weird about these 4th Quarter rallies is how bad we are in the Third Quarter in a lot of these games. I mean, we are terrible out the locker room for the start of the second half but then we catch fire at some point late.

Also, I was thinking about how we were in another of those "we are not going to score again droughts" that we have seen so many times in the past (ISU home loss, last year's Bowl Game for examples). It is great to see the team snap out of that pattern. Just goes to show, when you are down by two scores late in game, just concentrate on the first score however you have to get it before you worry about anything else.

I remember early in Bo's tenure that coming out at the start of he 2nd half was a strength. I just don't understand this team, but all the people earlier saying Bo has lost the team must be feeling silly right now.

I've been trying to make that point. No way can this team play like this at crunch time without talent. Teams that play like we do get blown out--which we do every so often usually against the better teams on our schedule. I just don't understand why the errors just keep coming and coming. Maybe this team just lacks the confidence deep down to stay out of their own way and play more consistently. Perhaps it is a comfortable excuse to always say, "we just keep making silly mistakes--no one ever really beats us." Whatever it is, it sure makes it hard on us fans.

Sometimes I think we win in spite of our coaching staff. Northwestern is the prime example. This week was both coaches and players pulling together to get the W. That's just how it works, I suppose. Sometimes the coaches pick up the players; sometimes the players pick up the coaches. That seems to be a theme with our young coaching staff. Hopefully as time passes the instances of players picking up the coaches becomes rarer and rarer.

Really, can't we say that about every team he last 10 years? Sure feels like it to me.

In a way, this team really reminds me of the 10-3 2003 team. Man, we teetered on the brink virtually every week but just kept winning. There were times when it seemed like that team would go sour, but they kept hanging in there. Of course, many of their heart-stopping moments were early in the season and they seemed to settle down a bit as the wins added up.

But you are right, it seems like every year we have those moments that will define our season either way. Some years the team steps up, and some years the team seems to step back. The last two years, the team seemed to step back, perhaps the tide is turning for a step-up kind of year.

Sometimes I think we win in spite of our coaching staff. Northwestern is the prime example. This week was both coaches and players pulling together to get the W. That's just how it works, I suppose. Sometimes the coaches pick up the players; sometimes the players pick up the coaches. That seems to be a theme with our young coaching staff. Hopefully as time passes the instances of players picking up the coaches becomes rarer and rarer.

I can take that quote two ways, but I know what you mean. And I also know how you feel in regards to your entire post.

this

I also see no reason why in the future we won't be able to recruit better than everyone in the Big 10, Ohio State and Michigan excluded. Our game day atmosphere alone should keep us at the top in recruiting. It's a concept beyond most of us to see a stadium not sold out when a traditional power like Nebraska rolls into town. What else is there to do in Michigan? ;)

Can always dustoff the Volts sitting in the NOT SOLD lots.....

What a ride we are getting. Red Reign is right. They are the Cardiac Kids. I remember the originals of Don Coryell. I love these guys much more.

Last edited:
No kidding about the 3rd quarter, the stats will show for that quarter in today's game that the HUSKERS could only muster up 8 plays and a minus 4 yards of offense. That's gotta be close to being a dubious HUSKER record.

Sorry, but they said it was -3. Give us a break, ok? ;)

Final Team Stats (Courtesy of MSU website)

First Downs:
NU 23; MSU 19

Passing:
NU 16-36-3 160; MSU 9-27-0 123

Rushing:
NU 40-313; MSU 43-238

Total Offense:
NU 76-473; MSU 70-361

Time Of Possession:
NU 28:28; MSU 31:32

3rd Down Conversions:
NU 6-14; MSU 6-15

4th Down Conversions:
NU 2-3; MSU 0-0

Sacks:
NU 0-0; MSU 2-29

Penalties:
NU 9-72; MSU 9-100

Fumbles-Lost:
NU 1-0; MSU 2-2

Final Offensive Stats (Courtesy of MSU website)

Passing:
Martinez 16-36-3 160 (2 TDs)

Rushing:
Martinez 17-205 (2 TDs)
Abdullah 22-110
Turner 1-(-2)

Receiving:
Bell 5-31
Enunwa 3-37
Reed 2-41
Turner 2-24 (1 TD)
Marlowe 1-15
Cotton 1-6
J.Long 1-4
Abdullah 1-2 (1 TD)

Last edited:

One thing you have to say about this team they are playing for the coaches....the three comeback wins are testament to that...

Final Defensive Stats </SPAN>(Courtesy of MSU website)</SPAN></SPAN>

Smith 12 tackles; 1.5 TFLs (2 yards)</SPAN>
Stafford 11 tackles; 1 FF</SPAN>
Compton 11 tackles; 1 FR; 1 BrUp</SPAN>
Martin 8 tackles; 1 TFL (2 yards); 2 QBHs</SPAN>
Fisher 6 tackles; 1 BrUp</SPAN>
A.Green 6 tackles; 1 BrUp</SPAN>
Whaley 5 tackles; 0.5 TFL (0 yards)</SPAN>
Evans 3 tackles</SPAN>
Jean-Baptiste 2 tackles; 1 BrUp</SPAN>
Meredith 2 tackles; 2 QBHs</SPAN>
Steinkuhler 2 tackles; 1 QBHs</SPAN>
Rome 2 tackles</SPAN>
Stoddard 2 tackles</SPAN>
Cooper, Ankrah, Santos, Davie, Richards, K.Bell, S.Long all 1 tackle apiece</SPAN>
Blatchford 0 tackles, 1 BrUp</SPAN>
Kreikemeier 0 tackles; 1 FR</SPAN>

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back