• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs. Kansas 1991

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
Many remember the 1991 Kansas game as the game that Calvin Jones set the single game rushing record (294 yards, which has since been eclipsed by Roy Helu). Nebraska won the game handily, 59-23.

However, in rewatching this game I found it to be much more interesting than the score and stats would suggest.

First, Calvin Jones really wasn't in the game until Derek Brown was injured in the 2nd quarter. Brown had racked up 13 carries early in the game while Jones was on the sidelines. Jones did his damage without even playing the whole game.

Second, this thing was a dogfight for a while. Kansas jumped out to a 17-0 lead almost before the Huskers were even off the bus. Nebraska battled back to tie the game at 17-17, but the Jayhawks continued to move the ball and drove down the field to kick a field goal late in the first half, taking a 20-17 lead into the locker room.

The second half was owned by the Big Red, but things were pretty dicey for a while.

I was at this game with some friends, one of whom went to KU. We flew out to Kansas from upstate NY, this was my first ever live Husker game. Needless to say, I could not believe it when it was 17-0- nor could any of the 10,000 or so KU fans (the rest, maybe 3/4 full stadium, was red lol). I still have some great pics from that game (albeit on a kodak disposable camera long before smart phones) and even got a couple autographs (one I remember was a dude named Brian Boerboom- I always tried to get the big uglies' autographs instead of the stars!) Since that game I've traveled to a dozen or so other Husker games, but that one will always hold a place in my heart! (Thank god they woke up in the second half) KU fans we met couldn't believe we would travel so far to watch a Nebraska game- but I'd do it again! I remember some pretty cool bars in Lawrence (at least from the pics :p)

I played football with two of the KU guys, Roger Robben and Pete Vang, both really great guys. Roger died a few years ago the day after Bishop Carroll played for the state title game.

Vang was one of the strongest individuals I've ever known in my life. He was a year younger but was always stronger than kids 2 and 3 years older. We were at a party once where he was talking to the hosts younger sister and host took offense to it. He and 6 of his friends told Pete to leave the party, which he did and as he was walking to his car they jumped him. I ran towards the pile to start pulling people off of him but realized pretty quick he didn't need any help. It was like a cartoon almost as these bodies started to fly out of the middle of the pile until Pete was standing back up, surrounded, silent, gesturing as if to say "you really don't want any part of this". They decided they didn't either and let him leave. I saw him a few years later in KC and we laughed about that night.

I meant to add. Losing this game was one of the biggest issues I personally had with the move to the B1G. Being in Wichita, there were 4 games potentially in any given year that were within 2.5 hours for me to easily get tickets to and go watch Nebraska play, and I did it quite often. But this game, specifically in Lawrence was unique. Nebraska fans would always outnumber the KU fans, and there was a massive amount of red in the crowd. Nebraska would wear white shirts and red pants, while KU would wear blue shirts/blue pants. The entire atmosphere of Red, White and Blue in probably one of the most beautiful fall venues on the KU campus was one of my most favorite games to ever attend, no matter the outcome (NU won every time:cool:) just because of its sheer beauty. I miss it greatly.

IHYNDHPKBHMIVVQ.20051105201842.jpg

I can't remember of it was the 1991 team of the 1992 KU team, but their D-Line was insane. Had both Dana Stubblefield and Gilbert Brown on the inside yet we ran all over them..

Both I'm assuming. They were definitely playing in the game above. I couldn't sleep last night so I watched the whole thing. Stubblefield played every snap as far as I could tell.

Both I'm assuming. They were definitely playing in the game above. I couldn't sleep last night so I watched the whole thing. Stubblefield played every snap as far as I could tell.

The funny part to me is how all of the Iowa fans talk about how crappy the Big 8/Big 12 was. Kansas was really good for awhile. Add in CU, UT, OU when they came back as well as KSU... Stellar teams we used to just plow through.

I can't remember of it was the 1991 team of the 1992 KU team, but their D-Line was insane. Had both Dana Stubblefield and Gilbert Brown on the inside yet we ran all over them..
1992 was a night game and a blowout. It was Stubblefield's senior year. I believe KU was ranked when the game happened. I think Armstrong had a big game that night.

1992 was a night game and a blowout. It was Stubblefield's senior year. I believe KU was ranked when the game happened. I think Armstrong had a big game that night.
That was the week after we blew out Colorado on Halloween... Frazier was hitting his stride, and it felt like the team finally was going to break through. We lost to Iowa State the following game.

I was also at this game. A friend of mine and I decided to drive down to the game from Lincoln on that Sat. No Tickets in our pocket. Parked in a persons drive about one block from the stadium. An old lady owned the house and said we could park for free because she was an NU grad and we were from Nebraska. Walked to the stadium and purchased two tickets from KU scalpers for $1.00 each, 40 yard line. Great time with all the Husker fans in that section. After the game we stopped at some bar for a beer and food. The bartender was from Nebraska and treated us to all the free beer we could drink. Those were some fun times.

Interesting how the game has changed!

- the helmets, shoulder pads, and hip pads
- our WRs start with their hands in the dirt.
- definitely notice we sustained blocks
- Saw trev Alberts playing kick coverage
- I remember the announcer voices
- I don’t think either team had a single snap from the shotgun.
- glen mason as KU head coach
- the KU OC = golden pat ruel is currently the Seahawks oLine coach.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back