• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska vs Indiana Game Thread (10/15/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game thoughts.

Okay, I just watched the game on replay. I wonder how different my thoughts are watching the game knowing the outcome vs. watching the game live.

First of all, I expected that I would be talking about our inability to put teams away once we get up by a couple of scores. We always seem to let teams back into the game and even tend to get dominated for awhile before getting serious again. The recipe was the same as NU went up 17-0 seemingly on cruise control only to see Indiana slowly chip away in the second quarter and close to 17-8.

But honestly, I am going to give Indiana credit on this one. Yes, we had a punt blocked for a safety. Yes, it did come after a holding call negated a key screen pass play for a first down. And yes, “Bad Tommy” threw a poor pass to help Indiana to a FG before halftime. So yes, we somewhat gave them five of their points.

But Indiana did a nice job of not panicking, defensively they settled down and got some stops, and overall did some nice things to stay in the game and turn some momentum their way.

Of course, Nebraska really missed Cethan Carter and Jordan Westerkamp. Losing David Knevel on the first play of the game didn’t help because quite frankly, Cole Conrad did not look good today.

But the biggest factor in my mind was Tommy Armstrong just looked off today. I don’t know if his leg was bothering him but I thought he played his worst game of 2016. He was throwing off his back foot all day long, his rollout throws were drifting dangerously off target, and his downfield throws were coming up short. His two interceptions were classic “Bad Tommy.” The late throw over the middle is a classic QB mistake and the third quarter interception was just plain inexcusable for a fourth year starter.

Not that he was all bad. His TD throw to Morgan Stanley was vintage “Good Tommy” with a nice adjustment to the ball by Morgan. In addition, he did a good job of avoiding pressure although I cringe at some of his avoid the sack semi-intentional grounding tossups. One intentional grounding was called today and one flag was picked up. My worst fear is a pick 6 on one of those flings is in our future.

By the way, how do you call intentional grounding on a play that was almost caught?

Defensively, I thought we played pretty well. The linebackers played better than I think I have seen them all year. Two, count them, two sacks by our linebackers today. Marcus Newby with his first sack of the year and second of his career. It was nice to see Dedrick Young with his first career sack. We had more LB sacks in the first half of this game then in all of the previous 18 games of the Mike Riley era combined. At times, we put good pressure on their QB—the same thing can be said about Indiana putting good pressure on Armstrong

If I had one complaint against the defense, it would be the final touchdown drive by Indiana. Speaking of a lack of killer instinct—it just seems strange to me that they let Indiana go through them like a knife through butter after not giving up a drive all day.

Two key special teams’ mistakes helped Indiana immensely—the blocked punt and the big punt return at the end of the third quarter. I haven’t been critical of Bruce Read but what exactly does he bring to the table?

At least the kickoff return coverage was solid. I saw two major hits made by JoJo Dohmann and Luke McNitt respectively.

That was a pretty nice drive by the offense to close out the game. Of course, I am getting a bit concerned with all the fourth down risk-taking. Sure they have worked out, but sooner or later one of those is going to go against us. We were lucky this time because Tommy Armstrong bobbled that snap and somehow managed to burrow his way to the first down. That was a little dangerous.

Man, that Terrell Newby non-fumble was close. I think the call was right but if you are Indiana (which we have been many times seemingly), that one was tough to take.

Chris Jones played a great game. Aaron Williams was solid. I thought Nate Gerry made some great plays and was outstanding although he did get juked out of his socks on one play in the first half. Josh Kalu had some great open field tackles. Banderas looked better than I have seen him all year. Over all, I thought the team tackled better and played the run better than they had since Oregon exposed us on the edge.

Give credit to Sam Cotton on a nice game. He’s a solid player. He really is.

Nice to see Bryan Reimers with a key reception. I keep saying it, he has a chance to be the next scholarship walk-on receiver.

On the first down run directly before the non-fumble, Terrell Newby’s second and eleven run might have been his best run as a Husker. He made a great cut into the hole and ran over an Indiana defender for the first down. I thought he ran pretty well all day. Nice to see back to back 100 yard games.

Credit Nick Gates for playing through an injury. Man, we are so thin at OT.

Kudos to Stanley Morgan for his first TD reception of the year and his longest reception of his career.

It looks like Mikale Wilbon has slipped down the chart again as Tre Bryant was the main backup to Newby.

Carlos Davis is looking more and more at home on the field it seems to me. That is good to see.

The announcers sure didn’t have a good day. Every time they questioned the coaches strategies, the coaches turned out to be right—both teams. Don’t give up your day jobs.

Nebraska has already matched their season total in wins from last year and stand at 6-0.

This team has issues. We are thin on the OL, our DE’s are ordinary, and our linebackers are solid but lacking explosiveness. Our QB is a Jeckyl and Hyde and we have major issues playing consistently.

We look so good at times. When we went up 17-0, it looked so effortless—we just can’t seem to maintain that momentum. At times, we look awful. We let overmanned teams hang around way too long.

But this team is fun to watch. They have a will to win and they seem to have learned from the adversities they have endured.

If only the same could be said of some of our fans. But I digress.

Purdue is next on the revenge tour. 7-0 is within the teams’ grasp. Then a showdown with a very solid Wisconsin team on the road in a game that may decide the West. Then they travel to Columbus to take on Ohio State.

One way or another, we are going to find out how good this team truly is.

But for now, enjoy this one. Bring on Purdue. Let’s take care of business and of course, let’s get some guys healthy again.

Take care all.

As always excellent stuff. :)

Game thoughts.

Okay, I just watched the game on replay. I wonder how different my thoughts are watching the game knowing the outcome vs. watching the game live.

First of all, I expected that I would be talking about our inability to put teams away once we get up by a couple of scores. We always seem to let teams back into the game and even tend to get dominated for awhile before getting serious again. The recipe was the same as NU went up 17-0 seemingly on cruise control only to see Indiana slowly chip away in the second quarter and close to 17-8.

But honestly, I am going to give Indiana credit on this one. Yes, we had a punt blocked for a safety. Yes, it did come after a holding call negated a key screen pass play for a first down. And yes, “Bad Tommy” threw a poor pass to help Indiana to a FG before halftime. So yes, we somewhat gave them five of their points.

But Indiana did a nice job of not panicking, defensively they settled down and got some stops, and overall did some nice things to stay in the game and turn some momentum their way.

Of course, Nebraska really missed Cethan Carter and Jordan Westerkamp. Losing David Knevel on the first play of the game didn’t help because quite frankly, Cole Conrad did not look good today.

But the biggest factor in my mind was Tommy Armstrong just looked off today. I don’t know if his leg was bothering him but I thought he played his worst game of 2016. He was throwing off his back foot all day long, his rollout throws were drifting dangerously off target, and his downfield throws were coming up short. His two interceptions were classic “Bad Tommy.” The late throw over the middle is a classic QB mistake and the third quarter interception was just plain inexcusable for a fourth year starter.

Not that he was all bad. His TD throw to Morgan Stanley was vintage “Good Tommy” with a nice adjustment to the ball by Morgan. In addition, he did a good job of avoiding pressure although I cringe at some of his avoid the sack semi-intentional grounding tossups. One intentional grounding was called today and one flag was picked up. My worst fear is a pick 6 on one of those flings is in our future.

By the way, how do you call intentional grounding on a play that was almost caught?

Defensively, I thought we played pretty well. The linebackers played better than I think I have seen them all year. Two, count them, two sacks by our linebackers today. Marcus Newby with his first sack of the year and second of his career. It was nice to see Dedrick Young with his first career sack. We had more LB sacks in the first half of this game then in all of the previous 18 games of the Mike Riley era combined. At times, we put good pressure on their QB—the same thing can be said about Indiana putting good pressure on Armstrong

If I had one complaint against the defense, it would be the final touchdown drive by Indiana. Speaking of a lack of killer instinct—it just seems strange to me that they let Indiana go through them like a knife through butter after not giving up a drive all day.

Two key special teams’ mistakes helped Indiana immensely—the blocked punt and the big punt return at the end of the third quarter. I haven’t been critical of Bruce Read but what exactly does he bring to the table?

At least the kickoff return coverage was solid. I saw two major hits made by JoJo Dohmann and Luke McNitt respectively.

That was a pretty nice drive by the offense to close out the game. Of course, I am getting a bit concerned with all the fourth down risk-taking. Sure they have worked out, but sooner or later one of those is going to go against us. We were lucky this time because Tommy Armstrong bobbled that snap and somehow managed to burrow his way to the first down. That was a little dangerous.

Man, that Terrell Newby non-fumble was close. I think the call was right but if you are Indiana (which we have been many times seemingly), that one was tough to take.

Chris Jones played a great game. Aaron Williams was solid. I thought Nate Gerry made some great plays and was outstanding although he did get juked out of his socks on one play in the first half. Josh Kalu had some great open field tackles. Banderas looked better than I have seen him all year. Over all, I thought the team tackled better and played the run better than they had since Oregon exposed us on the edge.

Give credit to Sam Cotton on a nice game. He’s a solid player. He really is.

Nice to see Bryan Reimers with a key reception. I keep saying it, he has a chance to be the next scholarship walk-on receiver.

On the first down run directly before the non-fumble, Terrell Newby’s second and eleven run might have been his best run as a Husker. He made a great cut into the hole and ran over an Indiana defender for the first down. I thought he ran pretty well all day. Nice to see back to back 100 yard games.

Credit Nick Gates for playing through an injury. Man, we are so thin at OT.

Kudos to Stanley Morgan for his first TD reception of the year and his longest reception of his career.

It looks like Mikale Wilbon has slipped down the chart again as Tre Bryant was the main backup to Newby.

Carlos Davis is looking more and more at home on the field it seems to me. That is good to see.

The announcers sure didn’t have a good day. Every time they questioned the coaches strategies, the coaches turned out to be right—both teams. Don’t give up your day jobs.

Nebraska has already matched their season total in wins from last year and stand at 6-0.

This team has issues. We are thin on the OL, our DE’s are ordinary, and our linebackers are solid but lacking explosiveness. Our QB is a Jeckyl and Hyde and we have major issues playing consistently.

We look so good at times. When we went up 17-0, it looked so effortless—we just can’t seem to maintain that momentum. At times, we look awful. We let overmanned teams hang around way too long.

But this team is fun to watch. They have a will to win and they seem to have learned from the adversities they have endured.

If only the same could be said of some of our fans. But I digress.

Purdue is next on the revenge tour. 7-0 is within the teams’ grasp. Then a showdown with a very solid Wisconsin team on the road in a game that may decide the West. Then they travel to Columbus to take on Ohio State.

One way or another, we are going to find out how good this team truly is.

But for now, enjoy this one. Bring on Purdue. Let’s take care of business and of course, let’s get some guys healthy again.

Take care all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back