• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska vs BYU Game Thread (9/5/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from the game fellas...
Man...All I wanted was a great game and it really can't get better than that. I apologize to the HuskerMax tailgate; I said I would swing by but I had to work late into the night last night. I left Burlington, IA around 7am and I was blade running to get home and get ready.

Outstanding effort to both teams. That is a horrible way to lose the game. Both teams fought and were darn near evenly matched statistically. Husker fans were great; atmosphere was electric. I hope these two athletic departments decide to play each other again.

I cannot believe, he had no one in front of the byu players! STUPID! It's not like we haven't been involved in a Hail Mary recently!

It's gonna' be fun, being as I live in Poky........BYU followers, and the home town of Taysom Hill! Yeh, he went to Poky Hi! :mad:

Final Game Thoughts.

Something old and something new.

Same old Huskers snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (or vice-versa) with a series of mind-numbing mental mistakes to close out a completely defeated opponent who had no business having a shot to win this football game at the end.

Something new was half time adjustments and a team who adjusted their game plan after their opponents had made their adjustments to our initial game plan.

There is plenty to be encouraged and yet discouraged about with this loss.

On the brink of being blown out, the team responded with a brilliant third quarter to take the lead. They had the wind in the fourth quarter, the opposing QB was knocked out of the game, and they had all the momentum in the world.

There was almost no way they could lose this game.

But they found a way. The glance in the mirror in the locker room is going to be a painful one as they look back on the countless missed opportunities to put BYU away.

Two consecutive third and one fiascos. A third and three fiasco. Tommy Armstrong throwing a ball up for grabs as thought he was playing in his backyard with his neighbors and getting picked off. Snapping the ball with 5 seconds on the play clock time and again as we were trying to bleed the clock. And our kicker choking badly on the field goal attempt that would have tightened the noose around BYU’s necks. All of our defenders run to the back of the end zone on the Hail Mary play.

The fourth down play where Daniel Davie basically let his man catch a desperation throw with virtually no resistance from Davie even though he should have been in good position. The surprise draw play BYU ran with time running out, if we tackle the guy before he gets the first down, game over.

We tackle their ball carrier inbounds on another play but one of our players is hurt and the clock stops. And on and on as play after play it was like our team was looking at the clock and wondering “How can we keep BYU in this game?”

This game was painful. This was a painful loss. No question about it.

We beat our opponents. We beat ourselves. Then we beat our opponents again. That has been our winning formula for a long time. This time, like many other times, it didn’t work out so well.

Perhaps it is time we chuck that formula in the trash and try a new one.

Welcome to Nebraska football, Coach Riley. Now you know what you are up against.

There was actually plenty to be encouraged about. The players showed heart. Some players stepped forward with big contributions.

But we’ve heard all this before. We’ve seen it time and again.

Perhaps it is fitting that we lose Riley’s first game the way we have been losing games for a dozen years now.

We need to flip this culture. It is going to take time. This team showed me some things today, but the proof is in the pudding. It all got erased when the multiple missed opportunities allowed BYU the desperation pass they never should have had (remind anyone of Georgia in the bowl game a few years back?) and our defense got caught completely out of position on that final play.

Back to the drawing board.

I’d like a special shout out to the reffing crew for not protecting David Sutton like they are supposed to do. You might want to go visit him in the hospital.

I haven’t heard how Sam Foltz is doing. Good luck to the young man.

I think in the second half we learned that if we run the football, even a little bit, we can be a pretty good team on offense—just not much of a third and short team. Defensively, we got after them a little bit and looked much better. We shall see what the future holds.

Kalu had some big plays. Alonzo Moore and Trey Foster scored their first touchdowns. Wilbon looked good. Banderas looked good. Young is going to be a great one. Our DL looked solid against the run and managed to get some pressure on the QB in the second half.

Armstrong looked good at times but his INT and two grounding penalties were beyond pathetic. This is college football, you can’t get away with school yard stuff like that. He also once again blew a zone read that almost got his RB killed.

Davie looked terrible all day long when the ball was in the air. Kondolo must have spent more time with his back to the line of scrimmage chasing the guy that went around him like he was standing still (which of course, he was) then he did facing the line of scrimmage with his man in front of him. Alex Lewis with two costly penalties. And Gifford . . . Rose-Ivey, we need ya.

So Mike Riley is our new coach and this is our new direction. This game looked eerily like so many games in our past. Some we won (Northwestern), some we found a way to lose (too many to list).

It’s just one game folks. Win or lose, fans were bound to overreact but this one was a real gut-punch.

Perhaps it is fitting that the Riley era begins exactly where the Pelini era ended.

Here’s to better days ahead.

I really don’t know what else to say.

Take care all.

Great recap HIO, as always. A tough and painful loss indeed, hopefully the HUSKERS will bounce back with a vengeance and use the lessons learned from this game to move forward and still have a very successful season.

Final Game Thoughts.

Something old and something new.

Same old Huskers snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (or vice-versa) with a series of mind-numbing mental mistakes to close out a completely defeated opponent who had no business having a shot to win this football game at the end.

Something new was half time adjustments and a team who adjusted their game plan after their opponents had made their adjustments to our initial game plan.

There is plenty to be encouraged and yet discouraged about with this loss.

On the brink of being blown out, the team responded with a brilliant third quarter to take the lead. They had the wind in the fourth quarter, the opposing QB was knocked out of the game, and they had all the momentum in the world.

There was almost no way they could lose this game.

But they found a way. The glance in the mirror in the locker room is going to be a painful one as they look back on the countless missed opportunities to put BYU away.

Two consecutive third and one fiascos. A third and three fiasco. Tommy Armstrong throwing a ball up for grabs as thought he was playing in his backyard with his neighbors and getting picked off. Snapping the ball with 5 seconds on the play clock time and again as we were trying to bleed the clock. And our kicker choking badly on the field goal attempt that would have tightened the noose around BYU’s necks. All of our defenders run to the back of the end zone on the Hail Mary play.

The fourth down play where Daniel Davie basically let his man catch a desperation throw with virtually no resistance from Davie even though he should have been in good position. The surprise draw play BYU ran with time running out, if we tackle the guy before he gets the first down, game over.

We tackle their ball carrier inbounds on another play but one of our players is hurt and the clock stops. And on and on as play after play it was like our team was looking at the clock and wondering “How can we keep BYU in this game?”

This game was painful. This was a painful loss. No question about it.

We beat our opponents. We beat ourselves. Then we beat our opponents again. That has been our winning formula for a long time. This time, like many other times, it didn’t work out so well.

Perhaps it is time we chuck that formula in the trash and try a new one.

Welcome to Nebraska football, Coach Riley. Now you know what you are up against.

There was actually plenty to be encouraged about. The players showed heart. Some players stepped forward with big contributions.

But we’ve heard all this before. We’ve seen it time and again.

Perhaps it is fitting that we lose Riley’s first game the way we have been losing games for a dozen years now.

We need to flip this culture. It is going to take time. This team showed me some things today, but the proof is in the pudding. It all got erased when the multiple missed opportunities allowed BYU the desperation pass they never should have had (remind anyone of Georgia in the bowl game a few years back?) and our defense got caught completely out of position on that final play.

Back to the drawing board.

I’d like a special shout out to the reffing crew for not protecting David Sutton like they are supposed to do. You might want to go visit him in the hospital.

I haven’t heard how Sam Foltz is doing. Good luck to the young man.

I think in the second half we learned that if we run the football, even a little bit, we can be a pretty good team on offense—just not much of a third and short team. Defensively, we got after them a little bit and looked much better. We shall see what the future holds.

Kalu had some big plays. Alonzo Moore and Trey Foster scored their first touchdowns. Wilbon looked good. Banderas looked good. Young is going to be a great one. Our DL looked solid against the run and managed to get some pressure on the QB in the second half.

Armstrong looked good at times but his INT and two grounding penalties were beyond pathetic. This is college football, you can’t get away with school yard stuff like that. He also once again blew a zone read that almost got his RB killed.

Davie looked terrible all day long when the ball was in the air. Kondolo must have spent more time with his back to the line of scrimmage chasing the guy that went around him like he was standing still (which of course, he was) then he did facing the line of scrimmage with his man in front of him. Alex Lewis with two costly penalties. And Gifford . . . Rose-Ivey, we need ya.

So Mike Riley is our new coach and this is our new direction. This game looked eerily like so many games in our past. Some we won (Northwestern), some we found a way to lose (too many to list).

It’s just one game folks. Win or lose, fans were bound to overreact but this one was a real gut-punch.

Perhaps it is fitting that the Riley era begins exactly where the Pelini era ended.

Here’s to better days ahead.

I really don’t know what else to say.

Take care all.

Well stated. Sums it up nicely. It did sort of feel like the same old broken record.

The Huskers identity got trampled in Boulder in 2001 and has not been seen since.

It's game one so it is hard to really know what to think. But, it does make one want to think "here we go again".

Well stated. Sums it up nicely. It did sort of feel like the same old broken record.

The Huskers identity got trampled in Boulder in 2001 and has not been seen since.

It's game one so it is hard to really know what to think. But, it does make one want to think "here we go again".

It makes me wonder if it is a case of "projection" from the fan base onto the players. That the fans are the source of the negativity and that continues to impact the culture. I am hoping that Riley can break that or turn it around.

Huh? There's no way the fans "projecting" something wOulD affect how players play. We JusT made Few too many mistakes that killed drives.

Last edited:

Really? Can't get a yard against a bunch of Mormons at home?

You just don't get it do you? I don't post very much, but you really have issues. I am glad my children don't know you or hang around with people like you. Do you have a big tire in your back yard to go and chew on after games, maybe it would help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back