• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Akron Game Thread (9/1/18) Huskers want to find a game to fill schedule this year

I believe the email announcement should have said something more like "indefinitely suspended." Getting the first kickoff played made the game officially started. It was obvious that there was an intention to get the kickoff done. The police were on the Akron sideline and immediately ran onto the field along with the TV official. The Akron team knew exactly what was going on and immediately turned and ran as a group towards their locker room. No confusion whatsoever.
As to the ramifications of suspended vs cancelled regarding contracts etc, I don't know. Do the Huskers have a claim to make Akron show up again? Did the official start of the game mean that the network had to pay the full amount? I have no real idea, but it was obvious that that kickoff had to happen.

There is no guarantee a game today would have been played, more storms moving into the Lincoln area soon.

Did the official start of the game mean that the network had to pay the full amount? I have no real idea, but it was obvious that that kickoff had to happen.
This isn't the old days where networks paid X dollars to televise a particular game

Last edited:
Last year Tulsa and Tulane moved their game up 4 hours due to weather and that is just one example.

They moved it up two days before the game, because of a tropical storm that was going to hit. I don't think you can move a game two days ahead of time because of possible thunderstorms. Almost all games that have had their time moved is because of tropical storms known about days in advance. At least I can't think of an example of a game time moved because of normal thunderstorms.

They moved it up two days before the game, because of a tropical storm that was going to hit. I don't think you can move a game two days ahead of time because of possible thunderstorms. Almost all games that have had their time moved is because of tropical storms known about days in advance. At least I can't think of an example of a game time moved because of normal thunderstorms.

Why not if there is a chance it could wreak havoc? Better safe than sorry.

This isn't the old days where networks paid X dollars to televise a particular game

Yup big contracts with the league in place that guarantees a certain amount of money for the broadcast rights to league games. Now a slight adjustment could be made to the contract, but I think that is highly doubtful.

Last edited:

Why not if there is a chance it could wreak havoc? Better safe than sorry.

Moving a game 2 or 3 days before a hurricane I understand. But moving a game 2 or 3 days ahead of where a front may stall and go stationary is something else. How can you know for sure exactly where that front stalls. Yes on Sat morning they probably knew, but I'm not sure you can predict the spot where the front goes stationary 2 or 3 days out.

My weather prediction. CU gets rained out too, we go undefeated the rest of the season and spend our bowl prep time making up the first two games so we can legitimately be in the conversation for the Natty.

You wanna' pass around what you're toking?
:Sunchips: :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back