• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska Uniform Concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. There is a huge difference between an "alternate uni" and adding black because it's the thing right now. I'm gonna go way, way out on a limb and say we will not lose ground to Navy or any other program if we don't give in and add black or come out with a sweet pro combat. As I said, tweaks and throwbacks are one thing, copying the latest fashion is another. If we have to use our cool new unis as a recruiting tool then we have some serious issues that even GFOA hasn't been able to dream up

2. If winning has more to do with building identity then why the obssession with different unis when we have already built and established an identity? Update, freshen, change, modify or copy.....it's not gonna win us any more FB games regardless of how fired up the Ohio players were that they got sweet new unis. At the end of the day, the uni debate is just a side show for fans and the fashion "experts" filling time in the morning.

What is the "huge difference" between an alternate uni and adding black. An alternate uni is a uni that's slightly different from the regular uniform weather that be in color or design. And adding black is not a fad that just started happening, open your eyes. Teams (even historical programs) have been adding black or white to their uniforms to provide a neutral color for home/road/rivalry/special occasion games. In all sports at all levels. Pittsburgh Steelers are Black and Gold yet they have white jerseys. The Lakers are Purple and gold yet they have white jerseys (used to be royal and powder blue). The Spurs are Black and White, yet they have gray jerseys. Oakland Athletics are Green and Yellow yet they have grey and white jerseys. A third color, even if it's just a neutral color like black, white, grey just adds to the options you can do with the teams jersey and design. Just because you add one of those colors in the overall design doesn't mean you are following a trend or attempting to be like Oregon.

1. How often do you deal with young athletes. When you get a chance, go by a local park and watch a group of teenagers play basketball and notice the attire they have on. 9 times out of 10 you'll see shoes on their feet that is more expensive than the book they keep in their backpacks. You'll even notice the guy who "isn't the greatest athlete on the court (field) have matching socks/shorts/tshirt/sweatbands/etc... To think that these athletes don't care much about the look of their uniform is "closed minded" and unrealistic. No they aren't making it their top priority but it is a factor as much as the campus life (girls) & weather.

2. And that was YOUR philosophy not mines, that we want to modify our uniforms to be relevant like these other programs doing it (even though I pointed out that many of the TRADITIONAL powers have used some sort of modification to their unis) Your last sentence almost quotes what I have been saying. Not that it's a side show but a means of revenue, more for the fans than the athlete. Top athletes love looking into the stands and seeing their jersey on some little kid or crazed father or sexy mother....... It's a representation of the loyalty the fan has for the team (player). Thus is how we get the "Sea of Red" "12th Man" "Death Valley" "Happy Valley" "Grand Old Lady" "The Swamp" "The Big House" etc..... The fans create the atmosphere. So why not create something appealing to the fans, whom are a huge recruiting factor with a lot of recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back