• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska Uniform Concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2014 Minnesota game would be perfect for a special uniform. It marks the 50th Anniversary of the Blackshirts - which were also originally unveiled against... you guessed it, Minnesota.

Same goes for the 2017 Michigan game, marking the 30th Anniversary of the Split Title.

Or any future games with Oklahoma. How cool would this look?
1966sugar_carelstith.jpg

Math isn't your forte is it Duck? ;) 2017 will be the 20th anniversary. Agree, a throwback would be cool, but our 97 uni's were only different in that the pants didn't have stripes.

I'd be interested in seeing a modernized concept in Scarlet & Cream.

Love to see cream adopted across the board. Our home basketball uni's would be awesome in cream, and our helmets and pants in football would be sweet too.

I think it's cool looking at the various helment and uniform concepts on the link. I especially like the corn helmet. Seems fitting for a team called the cornhuskers and people who sport cornheads in the stadium. Having said that, I'm hesitant to endorse any changes. I like the uni's just the way they are - simple, traditional, and classic. I realize the main push or emphasis of this thread is sporting special uni's on a few occasions. Still against it. Also, the uni's on the link look especially cool, dramatic shading, etc. In real life they won't look half as good as the renderings or else we'd think Northern Illinois and Texas Tech have cool uni's. I'm not steadfast against a special occasion uni however, more or less against it. An exception would be something like the crimson herring bone (or whatever the pattern is called) collar worn by Bama as tribute to Bear Bryant. Something simple.

If by chance a uni special occasion is implemened, I'd prefer a concept with the corn helmet. Perhaps some green worked in as well. Go the total corn route.

Last edited:

Math isn't your forte is it Duck? ;) 2017 will be the 20th anniversary. Agree, a throwback would be cool, but our 97 uni's were only different in that the pants didn't have stripes.

Yeah, yeah.

Check the timestamp, I wrote that at 6 in the morning.

Anyway, the principle applies, regardless of my miscalculation.

Love to see cream adopted across the board. Our home basketball uni's would be awesome in cream, and our helmets and pants in football would be sweet too.

me too, especially baseball :cool:

my frustration with new uniform concepts is most involve introducing colors (black, silver, gold,...) rather than staying within the confines of the existing brand & what equates to good design.

simply introducing a black jersey or helmet, isn't modernizing :2cents:

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah.

Check the timestamp, I wrote that at 6 in the morning.

Anyway, the principle applies, regardless of my miscalculation.

Hey Duck, it's all good, i was just busting your chops a bit! ;) I agree with what you are saying. Hey, check on my buddy Josh or Quentin out at King Estate if you ever get down that way. Tell him Jay from Texas sent ya, they'll take care of ya.

me too, especially baseball :cool:

my frustration with new uniform concepts is most involve introducing colors (black, silver, gold,...) rather than staying within the confines of the existing brand & what equates to good design.

simply introducing a black jersey or helmet, isn't modernizing :2cents:

BASEBALL, forgot about baseball, think SF Giants. What a sweet look!! Couldn't agree more with ya. Change for change sake, or as they say, black for black sake just is lazy design IMO.

Hey Duck, it's all good, i was just busting your chops a bit! ;) I agree with what you are saying. Hey, check on my buddy Josh or Quentin out at King Estate if you ever get down that way. Tell him Jay from Texas sent ya, they'll take care of ya.

Will do. We've been to King a few times, as well as Sweet Cheeks, Iris Hill, etc.

That was my bad - I mentioned the '97 title above and stated the 30 years number.

And I should not have that excuse - I don't know how many math classes I had en route to an Industrial Engineering degree, but I do know it was 5 classes related to statistics alone (e.g.- manufacturing and inventory control ones that were mostly stats). :) But the family pet died the day before I posted that and we were all saddened by her passing so I guess I didn't add things correctly.

The "NU" throwback helmets would be cool!

Will do. We've been to King a few times, as well as Sweet Cheeks, Iris Hill, etc.

Up just north of Corvalis I would recommend Left Coast Cellars and of course Domaine Serene, Domaine Droughn, and Ponzi. If you ever get down to the Roseberg area check out Ruesel Prayer Rock and Abacela.

That was my bad - I mentioned the '97 title above and stated the 30 years number.

And I should not have that excuse - I don't know how many math classes I had en route to an Industrial Engineering degree, but I do know it was 5 classes related to statistics alone (e.g.- manufacturing and inventory control ones that were mostly stats). :) But the family pet died the day before I posted that and we were all saddened by her passing so I guess I didn't add things correctly.

The "NU" throwback helmets would be cool!

It's funny, the higher I got in math in college the more difficult the easier stuff got for me.

Black helmets are cool......cool like parachute pants and sagging your pants. The Blackshirts are honored by being given the blackshirts, how in the sam snead would wearing a black helmet or adding a black stripe like all the other "cool" unis around the country worn by programs with no indentity be honoring the blackshirts? Tweaks and throwbacks are one thing, black would just make it look like we are trying to fit in with the "cool crowd".

Fun facts............

Since Nebraska's last National title every team that's played for or in the national title game has (or has worn) an alternate jersey with the exception of USC and Bama (though someone mentioned to me that Bama has worn one but I couldn't find anything anywhere proving that to be true).

Since Nebraska's last showcase in a BCS bowl, every team (with the exception of the two mentioned already) that has played in those games has worn alternate unis.

Since the TO's retirement, every team that we have had a loss to (with the exception to USC & Wisconsin) has worn an alternate uniform.

I just think the argument that "teams want to be relevant so they get cool unis" is more bull..... than fact. Alternate unis are normally created to pay tribute to something surrounding the program/school/state or sometimes to give a different look from the opposing team. These alternative unis provide sales jersey sales, thus profit (revenue) for the program. It takes more than "cool" unis to build an identity with a program. Winning, IMO, has more to do with it. Western Kentucky has alternate unis but I haven't heard them being mentioned in a national title argument.

With your post, it would seem like all but a slim few programs are trying to "fit in". I hardly think that is the case. If a program is unwilling to compete with other programs in every aspect of the game then expect that program to loose ground in some way. That's just how things are in life.

Hell Navy and Army both have "Nike Pro Combat" uniforms. If the military can show a little fashion, then the civilians in Lincoln should be able to outline their numbers in black to say the very least without someone trying to insinuate that they are making a mockery of the Husker tradition.

Show me a husker on this forum whom hasn't purchase/received as a gift/stolen/borrowed/made/etc..... a new husker shirt in the past few seasons. Even the traditionalists.

Fun facts............

Since Nebraska's last National title every team that's played for or in the national title game has (or has worn) an alternate jersey with the exception of USC and Bama (though someone mentioned to me that Bama has worn one but I couldn't find anything anywhere proving that to be true).

Since Nebraska's last showcase in a BCS bowl, every team (with the exception of the two mentioned already) that has played in those games has worn alternate unis.

Since the TO's retirement, every team that we have had a loss to (with the exception to USC & Wisconsin) has worn an alternate uniform.

I just think the argument that "teams want to be relevant so they get cool unis" is more bull..... than fact. Alternate unis are normally created to pay tribute to something surrounding the program/school/state or sometimes to give a different look from the opposing team. These alternative unis provide sales jersey sales, thus profit (revenue) for the program. It takes more than "cool" unis to build an identity with a program. Winning, IMO, has more to do with it. Western Kentucky has alternate unis but I haven't heard them being mentioned in a national title argument.

With your post, it would seem like all but a slim few programs are trying to "fit in". I hardly think that is the case. If a program is unwilling to compete with other programs in every aspect of the game then expect that program to loose ground in some way. That's just how things are in life.

Hell Navy and Army both have "Nike Pro Combat" uniforms. If the military can show a little fashion, then the civilians in Lincoln should be able to outline their numbers in black to say the very least without someone trying to insinuate that they are making a mockery of the Husker tradition.

Show me a husker on this forum whom hasn't purchase/received as a gift/stolen/borrowed/made/etc..... a new husker shirt in the past few seasons. Even the traditionalists.

1. There is a huge difference between an "alternate uni" and adding black because it's the thing right now. I'm gonna go way, way out on a limb and say we will not lose ground to Navy or any other program if we don't give in and add black or come out with a sweet pro combat. As I said, tweaks and throwbacks are one thing, copying the latest fashion is another. If we have to use our cool new unis as a recruiting tool then we have some serious issues that even GFOA hasn't been able to dream up

2. If winning has more to do with building identity then why the obssession with different unis when we have already built and established an identity? Update, freshen, change, modify or copy.....it's not gonna win us any more FB games regardless of how fired up the Ohio players were that they got sweet new unis. At the end of the day, the uni debate is just a side show for fans and the fashion "experts" filling time in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back