• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska Uniform Concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I just can't get into the corn helmet.

6783299617_6692179b6a_m.jpg

If you told me the team was going with a corn helmet, I would say this looks Waaaayyyy better than any image I could conjure up....that being said, I like seeing the experiments, but I don't really care about the Uni's as long as we are dominating teams. The black and red stuff reminds me of Georgia or TT....some of them were aweful, some were liveable and some would be cool for a special game.

The first time NU lost in an "alternate" uniform people would blame the uniforms...so it would have to be against a bad team!

Oma's Texas Tech metaphor is all that needs to be said here. What a program to emulate... :puke:

Well, they are the Red Raiders. Hence the black uniforms. :facepalm:

At least with Oregon's more... eccentric uniforms, they keep the school colors for the most part.

I get a definite sense from some people that red and white colors are not as cool as black. This seems to be the root cause for some people (not all).

One of my biggest concerns to be honest would be that if we do black uniforms even once, the stadium will never again see another red out. It will go to half or more of the people wearing black, a quarter red, an eighth white, and an eighth miscellaneous other colors. I think this may be a common concern for those who are of the keep the tradition mindset.

If that did happen, we might as well officially change the school colors to black and red. Not saying everyone that wants a black uniform hates to wear red, but there are a few who do. However, my sneaking suspicion is that number is actually more than just a few. So if that is what the people want, it may be worth considering. Schools change colors - look at Colorado going from black to powder blue in the 80s. It happens.

I am not saying that everyone who wants a change-up to mark a special occasion wants to just wear black all the time. I think the suggestion some have made to do black and red jerseys for a Blackshirts anniversary would be awesome. But I also don't think we should just go to black and red as de facto official colors just to hear the sigh of relief from that camp :)

I thought most of these were lame. I thought the throwbacks were lame. Having said that, id like to see a black jersey once a year. Not a oregon, oklahoma st bizzaro world type jersey, but a black jersey that looks like the red ones. Maybe a Black "N" on the helmet to go with it. nothing more, nothing less. Simple. something that moves along the same line a tradition.

I think those self proclaimed traditionalists drag these conversations into left field waaaaaaaaaayyy too much.

No one is asking for the school colors to change.

No one is asking for a permanent change to the uniforms

No one is suggesting that we mimic Oregon's formula with having multiple uniforms throughout the season.

Many are just saying it would be nice to have an "alternate" uniform that we would wear once or twice a season for a special game (anniversary, big rivalry, against a team that has similar jerseys & colors as our since there are two in this conference with Whisky and Indiana). The only two traditional schools I can't remember ever doing this is USC & Penn St. Bama, LSU, tOSU, Michigan, Tennessee, OU, Texas, etc.....have all done this for one reason or another.

And since they are asking for an alternate jersey, they are simply stating that it would be nice for something to reflect the Blackshirt TRADITION in the jersey. It's okay for us to buy hats, shirts, jackets, posters, key chains, license plate holders, etc....that pay tribute to the Blackshirts, but suggesting that the team do anything to pay tribute in their look, oh now we aren't real fans. All the whining about "it isn't a school color" gets thrown around.

I would bet my right....kidney that if you did a survey among the team and current students about possibly having black introduced on the jersey for a game or two during the season, it would get a huge thumbs up. But then we will have all of these self proclaim "traditionalists" (many who didn't even attend UNL, not even part time) say they want it to look the way it did back when they first became a fan. Evolution is apart of everything in life, but apparently it's not okay for it to be apart of a Husker uniform, even if the color being used is not necessarily a "school color" but does resemble the color associated with a HUGE tradition surrounding the team. YET I PROMISE THERE WILL BE A THREAD AT LEAST 3 PAGES LONG DISCUSSING WHY BO HASN'T GIVEN OUT "BLACKSHIRTS", WHO SHOULD GET IT, DID HE HAND OUT TOO MANY, ETC..

Oh, and for those who can't stand the Maryland creativity in their unis that paid tribute to the flag, I put that NU corn helmet in that same category. I would be nice to add to a "man cave" at home but to see the team run up and down the field with one on, how could we be taken seriously. Plus, yellow is a school color;):lol:

Last edited:
I would bet my right....kidney that if you did a survey among the team and current students about possibly having black introduced on the jersey for a game or two during the season, it would get a huge thumbs up. But then we will have all of these self proclaim "traditionalists" (many who didn't even attend UNL, not even part time) say they want it to look the way it did back when they first became a fan. Evolution is apart of everything in life, but apparently it's not okay for it to be apart of a Husker uniform, even if the color being used is not necessarily a "school color" but does resemble the color associated with a HUGE tradition surrounding the team. YET I PROMISE THERE WILL BE A THREAD AT LEAST 3 PAGES LONG DISCUSSING WHY BO HASN'T GIVEN OUT "BLACKSHIRTS", WHO SHOULD GET IT, DID HE HAND OUT TOO MANY, ETC.

I can only go by my experience during player guided tour this last summer.

We were led by a handful of players and the question was asked about wearing black for a game. A prominent offensive player said "That's not our thing, that's theirs(he nodded at a grinning Prince Amukumara), we came here to wear the red."

He along with a few others told us that we'd never understand how special it was to come out of the tunnel to the "sea of red" wearing the colors, the whole experience.

There are a few fans that want us to wear goofy costumes. Some on the team may think that way....but I got the impression that it isn't that compelling to many of the players. Maybe some of the defensive guys.

Why do some Nebraska fans want to look like Texas Tech?

That's what I don't get.

Many people must not have cable or DirecTV. You can see the concept for almost every one of these goofy looking uniforms just by watching other teams. Why do we want to wear other teams colors?

I've seen people recommend that we wear almost exactly what the Northern Illinois Huskies wear. Just watch Northern Illinois and pretend it's your favorite team.

We have the best uniform in college football. Why get goofy?

I can only go by my experience during player guided tour this last summer.

We were led by a handful of players and the question was asked about wearing black for a game. A prominent offensive player said "That's not our thing, that's theirs(he nodded at a grinning Prince Amukumara), we came here to wear the red."

He along with a few others told us that we'd never understand how special it was to come out of the tunnel to the "sea of red" wearing the colors, the whole experience.

There are a few fans that want us to wear goofy costumes. Some on the team may think that way....but I got the impression that it isn't that compelling to many of the players. Maybe some of the defensive guys.

From the players I've spoke with I've heard both sides. So I understand what you are saying. I can only imagine the feeling of coming out of that tunnel to the sea of red as a player.

I'm not one for the "goofy costumes". I figure leave that up to the other schools who need gimmicks to be appealing to recruits. And I am not saying that the sea of red should be switched up to black or whatever. I'm just saying that putting some black in an alternate uniform on occasion to pay tribute to guys like Winstrom, Peters Bros, Suh, Amukumara, David, Glover, Dutton, Jacobsen, Meylan, etc...would be pretty sweet. Simple as that. Our defense is known as the Blackshirts. Why is it a crime to do something for them once every blue moon on game day for them.

I think those self proclaimed traditionalists drag these conversations into left field waaaaaaaaaayyy too much.

No one is asking for the school colors to change.

No one is asking for a permanent change to the uniforms

No one is suggesting that we mimic Oregon's formula with having multiple uniforms throughout the season.

Many are just saying it would be nice to have an "alternate" uniform that we would wear once or twice a season for a special game (anniversary, big rivalry, against a team that has similar jerseys & colors as our since there are two in this conference with Whisky and Indiana). The only two traditional schools I can't remember ever doing this is USC & Penn St. Bama, LSU, tOSU, Michigan, Tennessee, OU, Texas, etc.....have all done this for one reason or another.

And since they are asking for an alternate jersey, they are simply stating that it would be nice for something to reflect the Blackshirt TRADITION in the jersey. It's okay for us to buy hats, shirts, jackets, posters, key chains, license plate holders, etc....that pay tribute to the Blackshirts, but suggesting that the team do anything to pay tribute in their look, oh now we aren't real fans. All the whining about "it isn't a school color" gets thrown around.

I would bet my right....kidney that if you did a survey among the team and current students about possibly having black introduced on the jersey for a game or two during the season, it would get a huge thumbs up. But then we will have all of these self proclaim "traditionalists" (many who didn't even attend UNL, not even part time) say they want it to look the way it did back when they first became a fan. Evolution is apart of everything in life, but apparently it's not okay for it to be apart of a Husker uniform, even if the color being used is not necessarily a "school color" but does resemble the color associated with a HUGE tradition surrounding the team. YET I PROMISE THERE WILL BE A THREAD AT LEAST 3 PAGES LONG DISCUSSING WHY BO HASN'T GIVEN OUT "BLACKSHIRTS", WHO SHOULD GET IT, DID HE HAND OUT TOO MANY, ETC..

Oh, and for those who can't stand the Maryland creativity in their unis that paid tribute to the flag, I put that NU corn helmet in that same category. I would be nice to add to a "man cave" at home but to see the team run up and down the field with one on, how could we be taken seriously. Plus, yellow is a school color;):lol:

If any of your post was directed at mine, I think you may have mistaken me for GFoA :) (Since you touched on a few of my points in addition to a lot of others.)

I don't think anyone in the whole debate has said that wanting to add black to the uniforms makes a person less of a fan. In fact, I suggested that maybe it should be opened up for debate if that is what the majority of fans want.

I agree with a small change for a special occasion such as the 50th anniversary of the Blackshirts (Minnesota game, 2014?). Just not every season on the anniversary of the date they were first handed out.

I don't agree we should change for other schools that have similar uniforms - it seems like we are abandoning our colors in the face of a rival. ****** Wisconsin - they can change, not us. Definitely not giving up the colors to Indiana.

To expand on that point, I also think in general that a special uniform should be to commemorate our traditions or our milestones, not as a reaction to another team. We make the B1G Championship game next year? Awesome, but not an occasion for a special uniform. We play a big game with Ohio State or Michigan? Not enough reason.

Unless there is something significant about our playing the other school such as when we play Michigan in 2017 it will have been 30 years since the split title in '97 so a special uniform might make sense. The "celebrate our history with the B1G teams" games would be good occasions.

If we scheduled Oklahoma in '21, then by all means go with throw-backs to celebrate the Game of the Century. But not for Wisconsin in '12 just for a change of pace - if simply playing the game isn't exciting enough, then changing the uniforms isn't going to help.

I also think the idea of adding black solely because it is the color of the first string defense's practice jerseys, as great a tradition as it is, is not enough of a reason to do it a few times a year. If so, what about the offense? We are leaving more than half the team out. 50th anniversary of the tradition, great. Random game this October, not so much.

Changing colors is not evolutionary. Changing/deleting/moving stripes, facemask color, font of numbers or letters, evolution. Do a throw-back red helmet with white stripe, evolution. Put "NU" back on the helmet, evolution. All reds or all (surrender) whites: I object more for the way those look as opposed to because they are not traditional.

But added various other colors, revolution. Green for the hands-off QB practice jersey? ;):lol:

And with regard to people whining about "it's not a school color", well, the kid whines about having to eat her broccoli but that doesn't change it being a fact.

If any of your post was directed at mine, I think you may have mistaken me for GFoA :) (Since you touched on a few of my points in addition to a lot of others.)

I don't think anyone in the whole debate has said that wanting to add black to the uniforms makes a person less of a fan. In fact, I suggested that maybe it should be opened up for debate if that is what the majority of fans want.

I agree with a small change for a special occasion such as the 50th anniversary of the Blackshirts (Minnesota game, 2014?). Just not every season on the anniversary of the date they were first handed out.

I don't agree we should change for other schools that have similar uniforms - it seems like we are abandoning our colors in the face of a rival. ****** Wisconsin - they can change, not us. Definitely not giving up the colors to Indiana.

To expand on that point, I also think in general that a special uniform should be to commemorate our traditions or our milestones, not as a reaction to another team. We make the B1G Championship game next year? Awesome, but not an occasion for a special uniform. We play a big game with Ohio State or Michigan? Not enough reason.

Unless there is something significant about our playing the other school such as when we play Michigan in 2017 it will have been 30 years since the split title in '97 so a special uniform might make sense. The "celebrate our history with the B1G teams" games would be good occasions.

If we scheduled Oklahoma in '21, then by all means go with throw-backs to celebrate the Game of the Century. But not for Wisconsin in '12 just for a change of pace - if simply playing the game isn't exciting enough, then changing the uniforms isn't going to help.

I also think the idea of adding black solely because it is the color of the first string defense's practice jerseys, as great a tradition as it is, is not enough of a reason to do it a few times a year. If so, what about the offense? We are leaving more than half the team out. 50th anniversary of the tradition, great. Random game this October, not so much.

Changing colors is not evolutionary. Changing/deleting/moving stripes, facemask color, font of numbers or letters, evolution. Do a throw-back red helmet with white stripe, evolution. Put "NU" back on the helmet, evolution. All reds or all (surrender) whites: I object more for the way those look as opposed to because they are not traditional.

But added various other colors, revolution. Green for the hands-off QB practice jersey? ;):lol:

And with regard to people whining about "it's not a school color", well, the kid whines about having to eat her broccoli but that doesn't change it being a fact.

No I wasn't referring to at any point in my posts (and I would never confuse you with GFOA....I'm not that disrespectful;))

and I agree with just about everything you posted here. The 30 years since the split title with Michigan is a great idea and reminds me how uh......not young I am. (Man it's been that long?)

And I am not saying change up for the teams (my wording was jumbled up) that look like us (Wisconsin), I'm saying provide some spice to that match up by having a different design, "alternate" uni, as I think in due time Wisconsin will be more of a rival than Iowa, IMO. Wisconsin is the new Oklahoma for us while Iowa is the new Colorado, in every since from color scheme, to atmosphere, etc....

P.S. Some kids grow to be just as strong without ever eating their broccoli as those who ate it all the time....in other words it's not a factor to consider in the over all picture. Putting black in the color scheme of the uniforms just provides "spice" (for the lack of a better word) to the unis. It's not going to effect the tradition behind the what the school colors are.

Except for a few throwback weekends meant to celebrate tradition, the blue bloods of college football don't do redesigned uniforms.

See Nebraska, LSU, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, Texas, Penn State, Florida, Notre Dame.

We are not Texas Tech, Okie Lite, Oregon, etc.

it's only a matter of time, we've already become immune to the fact that we're now officially known as the huskers... Last I heard we were still the cornhuskers. Tweaks to stripes and borders are inevitable, but we don't need a complete overhaul. I know the kids love it, but we're one of the few teams that have been consistent the last 60-70 years. Since when does every team has black as part of their official colors?

Some good ideas. Some really off base but I think they might have been added so everyone would have to agree that these have to go!

The 2014 Minnesota game would be perfect for a special uniform. It marks the 50th Anniversary of the Blackshirts - which were also originally unveiled against... you guessed it, Minnesota.

Same goes for the 2017 Michigan game, marking the 30th Anniversary of the Split Title.

Or any future games with Oklahoma. How cool would this look?
1966sugar_carelstith.jpg

Black helmets are cool......cool like parachute pants and sagging your pants. The Blackshirts are honored by being given the blackshirts, how in the sam snead would wearing a black helmet or adding a black stripe like all the other "cool" unis around the country worn by programs with no indentity be honoring the blackshirts? Tweaks and throwbacks are one thing, black would just make it look like we are trying to fit in with the "cool crowd".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back