• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Transformation

Warzone

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
In the Pelini era I went to a lot of games. This is not a thread to bash Pelini. What I saw over that era and the MR era was a team that got pushed around. We had a soft defensive philosophy, we were weak in the trenches and we didn't tackle or block particularly well. We saw plenty of problems with discipline. Heck, half of Pelini's teams could not even line up correctly. When Frost came I thought the turn around would be fast. It kind of has been.

We now have a team that can compete with almost anyone. We are solid in the trenches, generally attack the ball and tackle well. Regardless of what anyone says, believe it or not we are sitting at a top 25 offense. Even given our warts we continue to amass yardage. Yes discipline is an issue. That has to be corrected. Yes, special teams is atrocious. That has to be corrected. But SF needs to be given more opportunities to correct the problems. We are a special teams improvement away from being a top 15 team right now, and sitting at 5-0. Instead, discipline and ST have us below .500. If you think SF is ok with this, you are kidding yourself.

After Illinois I had lost all faith in our coaches. Even after the loss yesterday, I realize we are a great team in some phases and a horrible team in others.

If you fire SF right now, you might get a better ST. But what the last 4 coaches have taught me is that there is not a guarantee the other phases will be better. Nebraska wanted to fire TO at some point. What would have happened had we done that? Frost is close to being a nationally competitive team again. That is not going to happen with 90% of the available hiring opportunities. In fact, only Chris Peterson would be an upgrade.

Everyone wants Chins to stay. Thus summer this forum was full of people claiming he was part of the problem. NOW he is sooooo good. Nope, he was always good but some posters are very short sighted. Alert, if we fire SF we lose Chins too. If we want this to work in the long run, we have to give him a chance to fix the ST. If he can't get it together, then I agree. He has to go. But the turnaround we have seen on Defense and in 2/3 of the phases of the game, has been remarkable.

In the Pelini era I went to a lot of games. This is not a thread to bash Pelini. What I saw over that era and the MR era was a team that got pushed around. We had a soft defensive philosophy, we were weak in the trenches and we didn't tackle or block particularly well. We saw plenty of problems with discipline. Heck, half of Pelini's teams could not even line up correctly. When Frost came I thought the turn around would be fast. It kind of has been.

We now have a team that can compete with almost anyone. We are solid in the trenches, generally attack the ball and tackle well. Regardless of what anyone says, believe it or not we are sitting at a top 25 offense. Even given our warts we continue to amass yardage. Yes discipline is an issue. That has to be corrected. Yes, special teams is atrocious. That has to be corrected. But SF needs to be given more opportunities to correct the problems. We are a special teams improvement away from being a top 15 team right now, and sitting at 5-0. Instead, discipline and ST have us below .500. If you think SF is ok with this, you are kidding yourself.

After Illinois I had lost all faith in our coaches. Even after the loss yesterday, I realize we are a great team in some phases and a horrible team in others.

If you fire SF right now, you might get a better ST. But what the last 4 coaches have taught me is that there is not a guarantee the other phases will be better. Nebraska wanted to fire TO at some point. What would have happened had we done that? Frost is close to being a nationally competitive team again. That is not going to happen with 90% of the available hiring opportunities. In fact, only Chris Peterson would be an upgrade.

Everyone wants Chins to stay. Thus summer this forum was full of people claiming he was part of the problem. NOW he is sooooo good. Nope, he was always good but some posters are very short sighted. Alert, if we fire SF we lose Chins too. If we want this to work in the long run, we have to give him a chance to fix the ST. If he can't get it together, then I agree. He has to go. But the turnaround we have seen on Defense and in 2/3 of the phases of the game, has been remarkable.
Good post & I agree with all of it. The bolded is spot on!

Here’s the thing about giving him more time. It only works if he starts winning. At the end of the day that is what matters. He has to show that he wants change by making change himself. Will that happen I’m not sure but if he does make change then yes I can see keeping him but if he roles with the same coaching staff expecting change then no he doesn’t deserve more time.

Last edited:

Caution is advised in any decision making. No other way to say it.
Agree. I have faith in Trev taking his time and being measured about how he handles this.

Despite last night's final result, you have to allow the rest of the year to play out.
What if they somehow pull it together and still win 6 or 7 games? You still may make a few changes but not the whole staff. If they crater it may be a complete sweep. It's up to Trev.

Agree. I have faith in Trev taking his time and being measured about how he handles this.

Despite last night's final result, you have to allow the rest of the year to play out.
What if they somehow pull it together and still win 6 or 7 games? You still may make a few changes but not the whole staff. If they crater it may be a complete sweep. It's up to Trev.
The problem is that SF is a public employee and the fanbase will have a say. Public Opinion drives a lot of decisions. Our fan base has gone from one of the smartest in college football to one of the stupidest.

The problem is that SF is a public employee and the fanbase will have a say. Public Opinion drives a lot of decisions. Our fan base has gone from one of the smartest in college football to one of the stupidest.
I understand what you are saying, but Trev has a track record of doing what he thinks is right despite popular opinion. It's how he got this gig.

IMO, spot-on post!

Chin is going to leave sooner or later with or with out Scott Frost

Decent take but I wouldn’t say we’ve seen a turnaround in 2/3 of the phases. Our Offense has not shown steady improvement and/or development the way the D has. And in fact the Offense is where many if not most of our “familiar failures” reside.

If Trev can help Frost learn how to address and eliminate the ongoing issues we’ve seen from the Offense and Special Teams, then we’ll begin to see the turnaround.

Part of that learning IMHO will be an awareness (and acceptance) that he himself (Frost) has made (and continues to make) mistakes and needs to correct them.

Saying that the players have to “do it” because he can’t is true, but it significantly discounts the accountability that his coaches have in that process.

What you permit, you promote. This goes for player to player; position coach to player; and head coach to coordinaters/staff.

Until Frost develops AND demonstrates a commitment to accountability, discipline, and consistency than he (we) should not expect to see it happening downstream.

Last edited:

The only reason why we have a decent offense is Adrian Martinez. What happens next year?

Last edited:

The only reason why we have a decent office is Adrian Martinez. What happens next year?
Then it will be the only reason we are decent is cause of smothers. Heard it time and again when pelini was coach. Well if he didn’t have helu we wouldn’t be good. If bo didn’t have rex we wouldn’t be good and then if not for ameer he wouldn’t of been good.

He needs to sit the players on the bench, after any silly, inexcusable penalty. Right then. Bench. This is how you correct. Take away what matters most. Discipline. Back-ups, be ready for your shot at moments notice.
Then when the next man up does the same or misses blocks.

Then it will be the only reason we are decent is cause of smothers. Heard it time and again when pelini was coach. Well if he didn’t have helu we wouldn’t be good. If bo didn’t have rex we wouldn’t be good and then if not for ameer he wouldn’t of been good.
Ok.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back