• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Punches Back at the B1G. How does that impact our future?

This is a whole different ballgame. As speculated yesterday Nebraska has tOSU, Michigan, PSU on board. As seen today all coaches from these universities gave a press conference confirming the tweet no one took legit. Its happening folks. CFB will be played and these four universities from the b1g want in. Obviously Iowa does too. We may be witnessing the end of the b1g. If tOSU and Michigan is in, look out.

Why would the b1g come back today and say they havent confirmed anything yet? Pressure is on the b1g now.

Don't think for a minute this hasn't been in the works for a month or two between these blue bloods. I leaked the potential of conference realignment for this year a few months ago on another board and got laughed at.

This might just be the start of a 32 team upper level college fb division separate from anything ncaa. Throw in the right to pay players, its start from scratch.

Key here is the OSU, Michigan and PSU onboard. This is no longer up to the b1g they arent in power at this point.

Ohio State and Michigan have an abundance of power and pull. But they have much more power as a part of the Big Ten than they will if they leave it (permanently, as you suggest).

I'll be beyond shocked if the Big Ten breaks up -- even with their shoddy current leadership. It's one of the two most powerful conferences in the nation.

Last edited:

I don't see how Nebraska could make much money out of this year if the B1G shuts down the season. They might allow the Huskers to play other teams, but how would they get paid $ from TV, The B1G wouldn't let them collect if the other B1G teams don't that aren't playing. Other conferences like the SEC might pay for "one off" games, I guess, but I doubt it would be too much money...maybe $1-2million. That wouldn't be too much considering the expenses of travel, would it?

I guess I just don't see a scenario of this working unless the Huskers also decided to fill the seats on Home games so they could cover expenses. Then, they might be able to get at least AirForce, Navy, Army to play in Nebraska...and maybe a team like Central Florida, Cincy, Memphis, S Florida...I guess that's the scenario?

I find it doubtful that the Huskers could fill a schedule at this late date under this circumstance. Be cool if it works out though.
As desperate as network tv is to broadcast sports I'm pretty sure they could find a way to pay the 2 schools directly if necessary.

I read that the tOSU president won't vote to cancel, only delay.
I think tOSU is bigger than you may think. Texas was the big cigar, yes. I think tOSU is in that same class.
I think we all agree that spring football is extremely dangerous and foolish.

All of this probably means nothing... I'm tired and hoping against hope.
Texas is big, endowment wise. In this landscape of cfb and recent rumors of the sec open to adding members as well for this upcoming season, Texas is minute. This could open pandoras box. As in you have 4 of the old school blue bloods from the b1g joining up with the b12, sec and acc. This isnt about this year. If this happens you see higher tv ratings then ever before. Colleges see the potential of leaving the acc behind, including smaller schools sucking off the teet. This is the start of the upper level cfb... those with money. And to think the big players don't notice this? In other word it would make our b1g money look minor potentially.

Once again the key is tOSU, Michigan and PSU being on board. B1G is sweatting. If they dont agree to let us play lawsuits could happen. Covid is changing the landscapes of sports in a hurry. NCAA is likely done imo

Ohio State and Michigan have an abundance of power and pull. But they have much more power as a part of the Big Ten than they will if they leave it (permanently, as you suggest).

I'll be beyond shocked if the Big Ten breaks up -- even with their shoddy current leadership. It's one of the two most powerful conferences in the nation.
Look long term. Tv contracts are due 2023?

This is an easy out. If the b1g loses tOSU, Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska for one year, they got a conundrum on their hands. These next few days are going to be interesting. These 4 universities have had this in their back pocket for a while. No way the press conferences were that well timed. Thoughts?

While I like and agree with NU's approach to playing ball, they just told the B1G that they don't care what they say and do, we are doing what we want. I am certain there are those in the B1G offices that are not happy, including Warren.

How does our approach affect our future in the league? Will there be repercussions?

It can’t help.If the brass in the big ten say don’t schedule outside the conference,it could be catastrophic for us if we go ahead and do it anyway.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

If they make a spring schedule, many, if not all, of the better players in the league will opt out. Too risky with NFL already saying it isn’t moving the draft. Also, it flies in the face of the narrative about student-athlete safety. Playing 20-24 games in a 6-8 month window is not good for anyone.

I don’t see the concern of being too taxing on players as an issue. I remember being 20, and we recovered amazingly well. I also would believe the spring would be no more than 6-7 games, and the fall could be trimmed to a maximum of 10-12 regular season. The draft is another issue, but you do have a point about kids opting out.

Last edited:
It can’t help.If the brass in the big ten say don’t schedule outside the conference,it could be catastrophic for us if we go ahead and do it anyway.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.
Keeping our players safe and ready to play fb and not fighting for them would be more catastrophic. Once again think long term. Recruiting wise especially. This will likely end lots of mid majors and probably some long time p5 football teams chance to ever be competitive. There is a reason why our conference foes are fighting along side us here. This isn't a conference thing. Its a way of life. If cfb isn't played, for a lot of schools it will never be played again.

In other words, this has to get done politics aside. Wear a mask on the sidelines, wear a helmet with a protective shield and lets play ball.

Our arch rivals are with us here. Lets get on board

Look long term. Tv contracts are due 2023?

This is an easy out. If the b1g loses tOSU, Michigan, Penn State and Nebraska for one year, they got a conundrum on their hands. These next few days are going to be interesting. These 4 universities have had this in their back pocket for a while. No way the press conferences were that well timed. Thoughts?

There's three general paths the Big Ten can take:

1. Cancel the season entirely
2. Move the season to spring
3. Return to the planned schedule from last week and start play next month

Only option #1 holds the potential for individual Big Ten teams to bail -- whether temporarily or beyond that. That's still a big "if," but I suppose nothing is off the table.

If the football season is moved to spring then no Big Ten team is going anywhere. I can't rule out an exhibition game or two in the fall, but nothing beyond that. Not that I support spring football, just noting it as a possibility.

And until we hear official word, option #3 can't be ruled out.

Regarding the press conferences -- I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing these press conferences may have been scheduled today regardless of the circumstances. It's a normal time to talk to the media about how the fall prep is going in practice. Obviously, however, other news came to the forefront. But maybe there was more to it than that -- I don't know. I mean, they could very well have been in contact with each other -- but I doubt it was more recently than this past weekend when everything started to change gears.

There's three general paths the Big Ten can take:

1. Cancel the season entirely
2. Move the season to spring
3. Return to the planned schedule from last week and start play next month

Only option #1 holds the potential for individual Big Ten teams to bail -- whether temporarily or beyond that. That's still a big "if," but I suppose nothing is off the table.

If the football season is moved to spring then no Big Ten team is going anywhere. I can't rule out an exhibition game or two in the fall, but nothing beyond that. Not that I support spring football, just noting it as a possibility.

And until we hear official word, option #3 can't be ruled out.

Regarding the press conferences -- I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing these press conferences may have been scheduled today regardless of the circumstances. It's a normal time to talk to the media about how the fall prep is going in practice. Obviously, however, other news came to the forefront. But maybe there was more to it than that -- I don't know. I mean, they could very well have been in contact with each other -- but I doubt it was more recently than this past weekend when everything started to change gears.
As Id never question you in weather, as you would no matter the consequence still have a job. When I say these four universities have been looking into the legalities of playing outside of the b1g for some time, your going to have to take my word for it. Go ahead and look into what b1g teams held practices yesterday after the b.s. announcments came out.

Your making assumptions based upon your thoughts and previous beliefs not based upon the potential future.

Once again. This changes everything. Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State are on board. This would NEVER be leaked if there wasnt smoke. Those three with Nebraska forces the b1g hand. Since your so knowledgeable on the b1g, whats it cost for a university to leave the b1g or for shitts and giggles the sec?

If these 4 wanna play, bottom line b1g either plays a full season or bows down. Lets them play and all hell breaks loose.

Does the b1g make the teams money, or do the teams make the b1g money? These next few days are going to be more interesting then when we were rumored to be leaving the b12.

Its going to decide the future of cfb.

Those teams that want to play are going to play, as long as their administration is completely on board. The question is just whether there will be "in-conference" games between those teams that want to play if others don't. If almost half the conference (Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St) plans to play, do they play and leave the other schools out? If certain schools can't play, maybe that would be for the best. Then there would at least be some revenue to share with those schools.

In a worst case scenario, if it comes to it I think NU can just schedule 6-10 non-conference games. We schedule those ourselves already. We would just be scheduling more of them. The media money could be handled just the same as any other non-conference game.

He sucks.

Once those schedules were released, there should have been nothing stopping the season from at least getting started. But he obviously crapped the bed and didn't communicate with the university presidents first. That makes zero sense to me.

I hope once he has this all figured out he offers a public apology -- not counting on it, doesn't change the fact that he made a critical error in leadership -- but he should apologize.
Leadership is AWOL on too many levels today. Huskers can be proud of the leadership of their coach.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back