• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska predicted to finish 9-3; you get to pick the 3 losses, who would you WANT those losses to be? This is NOT who is most LIKELY to beat us.

If Nebraska finishes with 3 conference losses, which teams would you CHOOSE for the losses?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If by "research" you mean "reading the first post that's attached to the poll question," then, yeah, you should have done "further research."
]

That is correct, I didn’t feel the need to read into the thread . I assumed the title and the poll spoke themselves: I truly apologize for any offense I have given and for defiling your poll. Feel free to not include my options for loses in any statistics that are being compiled.

]

That is correct, I didn’t feel the need to read into the thread . I assumed the title and the poll spoke themselves: I truly apologize for any offense I have given and for defiling your poll. Feel free to not include my options for loses in any statistics that are being compiled.

Maybe you should have just accepted my initial post on the subject, rather than complaining about it. Or better yet, perhaps you should have just ignored it if it bothered you so much.
Thanks for the life tip. Maybe you could try reading something before asking questions?

If memory serves, the Big XII used to rank in-division losses more highly than cross-division losses. So dropping a game to Kansas State hurt us more than a loss to Oklahoma or Texas.

That was never true. Like the Big 10, the Big 12 treated a loss to ANY conference opponent equally. The only time the record within the division factored into play was during tie breakers.

Losing to a west team does matter more than losing to the east because if you beat the west team, it has a loss and you are more likely to finish ahead of them. If you lose to a west team, it has a win and it is more likely it will win the west. So you are better off if all your confer6ence losses are to the east. (That said, if one of your three losses was to Illinois, it likely wouldn't matter.)
While what you say is true, people earlier in the thread were stating that beating all of our West opponents automatically makes us the West champion, and that is completely false.

While what you say is true, people earlier in the thread were stating that beating all of our West opponents automatically makes us the West champion, and that is completely false.
I don't remember reading it being stated that starkly. Which post(s) are you referencing?

For practical purposes, due to the strength of schedule for all but Minnesota, if Nebraska beat everybody in the West, we would likely win the West. If not, the East powerhouse teams will have likely had a monumentally bad year.

That was never true. Like the Big 10, the Big 12 treated a loss to ANY conference opponent equally. The only time the record within the division factored into play was during tie breakers.

While that is true it does give NU the tie breaker against the rest of the west.

C

For practical purposes, due to the strength of schedule for all but Minnesota, if Nebraska beat everybody in the West, we would likely win the West. If not, the East powerhouse teams will have likely had a monumentally bad year.
Not really. Say we beat every West team, but lose to our three East opponents. Unless every West team also loses 3 conference games, we're on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Not really. Say we beat every West team, but lose to our three East opponents. Unless every West team also loses 3 conference games, we're on the outside looking in.
Yes, and I'm saying that it's likely that every West team is going to finish very much in the vicinity of 3 losses, though Minnesota has an easier schedule. If we beat them, each only needs to lose 2 other games. Iowa and Wisconsin have much tougher schedules than they've had in the past; Iowa is the better bet, but they have Michigan, Penn State, plus teams in the West who beat them last year.

Besides Minnesota and Nebraska, who has the schedule to finish with less than 3 losses in the West, assuming that 1 loss is to us?

Here you go....
They didn't say that the West games count more. I took that to mean what I (and others) said above: we would win the tie-breakers. It definitely isn't as black-and-white as you're portraying it.

Just don't lose to Wisconsin again, please!
Apparently, Sipple feels your pain. I know I do. Iowa and Wisconsin are the two games that I most want to win, and I'll be buying rounds if both could be blowouts.

I didn't want to resurrect this thread immediately after losing to Colorado because that probably would have felt too raw, but now a week has passed, and we got another win, so hopefully it's less emotional to talk about it. I made up this poll during the summer (when everybody is hoping for 12-0) so that there would be as little emotion as possible involved, and you could just evaluate which teams you'd least mind losing to. I didn't include South Alabama or Northern Illinois because a) I assumed that we'd win both, and b) I could only have 10 choices for answers.

Now that the answers are locked in, take another look at who you picked and see if you still agree with your choices. There weren't very many people who thought that losing to Colorado would be better than any 3 of the other choices (including me), and I'm wondering if those who said that then would still be okay with their choices? I ask that partially because I also wasn't okay with losing to Illinois or Ohio State, and I'm concerned about both games for very different reasons. We shouldn't lose to Illinois, and we're expected to lose to Ohio State, but we're in prime position to be upset by an Illinois team that just lost a game that they should have won and will be playing at home against an inconsistent, turnover-afflicted Nebraska team that will be hard-pressed to not be looking ahead to the Ohio State game. I wouldn't pick Illinois to win, but I think that Illinois and Colorado would be an evenly matched game, so there's that.

I'm concerned about Ohio State, not because they might win--almost everybody will pick them to win--but because we match up reasonably well with them, but we're inconsistent, so we have the potential to play them very close, again, and lose another heartbreaker (or win, of course), but we also have the potential to get drilled, especially if we have another key injury or two. A loss to Illinois or a blowout to Ohio State would hurt Frost's reputation and set back recruiting.

Thoughts?

GET TICKETS

Back