• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska post TO vs Ohio State post UM

Ryan Day is a great coach. Ohio St does a tremendous job finding coaches. I suspect he'll win a natty.
While I agree he appears to be a really good coach... we truly won't know until he is there for about 4-5 years. Right now, he's riding Urban's coattails in terms of players and recruiting. You are right, they haven't missed on a coach in the hiring process.

Don't forget Harbaugh at Michigan. Losing to OSU is making a lot of their fans take up resume reading.
Michigan has bigger problems than Harbaugh. My brother in law is a Mich alum and he said the University of Michigan has a serious culture problem. Winning is not as important as it used to be. The University is more wrapped up in political issues than winning on the field. Think Illinois, just a larger fan base.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this lately. My intention is not to turn this into a Frank vs Ryan debate, or a bash on Frank thread. I just wanted to get some of your thoughts regarding both teams. Day has been doing an exceptional job so far, obviously. And Frank did as well.

I guess my question to you all is.. do you think Ryan Day can keep it up at Ohio State? Or do you see an eventual drop off in play? It seems next to impossible that there could be two brilliant coaches in a row, especially after a semi scandalous end to Meyer's tenure. So far, tho, I've been really impressed with Day. He seems to be leading the team superbly.

Thoughts?
The AD has a lot to do with the success and failure of a program. The Huskers have had two real TURKEYS in recent years who made horrible hires . Osborne had the program moving in the right direction until Pearlman hired a lawyer as AD.
Moos was a fantastic hire, a football man who knows how to build a program, hire good people and get out of their way. Look at the AD position failures at Tennessee, Texas, and USC each one suffered from a failed football leadership in the AD’s position. It’s an important job and you’re going to need a football man to be successful.

Because of how bad Nebraska has been since Frank left, there has been a lot of revisionist history about his coaching tenure. We were still pretty good the first couple of years under Frank, but after that the decline was palpable. We continued to beat the patsies on our schedule (and back then, we were fortunate to have a schedule mainly made up of patsies), but we began to lose to good teams consistently. The most obvious sign that something was seriously amiss was when we got pasted by Colorado and Miami after delusionally believing that we were a national championship contender. Clearly, we have had a lot of swings and misses in our coaching hires since Frank, but that doesn't mean that all would have been well had we kept him as our coach. He was not a long term answer. He may have had some success in the MAC, but he is not a good Power 5 coach.

Ryan Day seems completely different to me. Everything I see tells me that he is a great coach who has a bright future.
Those two games showed that we had a DC problem, one that was on the way to being solved with the hire of Bo Pelini.

Bo was an excellent DC and had our ego maniac Athletic Director at the time left Frank and Bo alone, we would have remained the DONU that we all knew and loved.

The traditions, the style, the Black Shirts the walk ons, etc all would have stayed in place.

Winning National Championships is harder to predict, but the basis to do so would have been intact but more importantly we would still been US!

Instead it was all blown up and we took a ride into oblivion.

GBR

It feels different now than in 1998. Eventually everyone will decline but those top few programs get such a lion's share of the top prospects every year now that they seem really entrenched in elite status. It would seem hard for them to screw it up at this point.

Michigan has bigger problems than Harbaugh. My brother in law is a Mich alum and he said the University of Michigan has a serious culture problem. Winning is not as important as it used to be. The University is more wrapped up in political issues than winning on the field. Think Illinois, just a larger fan base.
Really? THAT is the problem huh? Politics?

Hmm. There is revisionist history all over this thread. Fact is Oz knew he was going to retire, told only Frank and some confidants and then held telling everyone else until AFTER they got into the Orange Bowl. Then he sprung it on the AD. So, in effect, Oz kinda held the AD hostage by doing so. No way in hell they would have said no to the great and wonderful Oz.

BTW Ohio St had some pedestrian years either late during Cooper's tenure or right after he left at best. PS. He got canned because he could not beat Michigan. The moral of the story? Sports are cyclical. Ask Oh Ewe and Bammer.

I think Frank was on the right track by the staff he was accumulating. But, I did support the firing at the time. I think we probably don't drop to the depths we have if we keep Frank. Conversely, I also don't think we win a Natty under him as well. Double edged sword.

Callahan was a great Asst coach and technician. He was an outstanding O Line coach. Riley was an atrocious hire. Awful.

Do I think Day is as good as Urb? Pfft. No. Let's see how well he does in the post Justin Fields era first before we anoint him a great coach.

It would not surprise me in the least that IF we can get our act together, we may give the Acorns a game. Justin Fields is a match up nightmare in college. He gone.

Last edited:
That was never a possibility. Osborne left with the understanding that Frank would take over and keep the staff intact. There was not a coaching search, it was a promotion arranged by TO for Frank. Tom might not have left that year if he couldn't have guaranteed his staff's positions.
In fact Tom ask Frank if he could stay one more year to coach the '97 team. Frank said OK, or Frank would have had the '97 Championship.

Do I think Day is as good as Urb? Pfft. No. Let's see how well he does in the post Justin Fields era first before we anoint him a great coach.

It would not surprise me in the least that IF we can get our act together, we may give the Acorns a game. Justin Fields is a match up nightmare in college. He gone.
i think all the great coaches had something in common, they had great QB's.. Hard to find those, AM could have been Justin F just as much as he hasn't been so far.. not sure if that makes sense or not.

And yet the first time around, following Switzers retirement, the Sooners did horribly in their hires.

They were in the wastelands for over a decade until lStoops was hired.

GBR
You are correct sir. I was asleep at the wheel on this post.Thank you for your reply.Keep the faith.GBR.

Politics was a nice way of saying they have become an extremely liberal university where sports are starting to take a back seat.
Michigan may be a much more liberal university than the University of Nebraska but I don’t buy for a minute winning is any less important today than it was for them in 1997.

My hat is off for Oklahoma as well.Riley following Stoops has worked out well for the Sooners too.Keep the faith.GBR.
Yeah I think that Stoops/Riley is much more apt then UM/ Day. First of all UM was not the HC of OSU for very long. UM was only the HC for 6 years. He followed (although with a year gap) Another successful coach. Riley was following Stoops after he was at OU for 17 years. Stoops will always be associated with OU. UM will be remembered as a great coach at three schools. So Riley will be judged through the lens of Stoops. Day will be judged against a lot of OSU coaches. Not just his predecessor.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back