• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska moving away from Learfield/IMG

Learfield/IMG financial status:

Description of Learfield/IMG and its business model/problems

Last edited:

First off this isn't a 20 year deal which BTW pays Texas 15 million a year for what? I hope ESPN is losing their shirt on paying Texas 300 million. Just saying. If this doesn't work out financially Huskers can easily make another deal with Learfield/IMG. I really don't believe Nebraska has a lot to lose giving this a try. I really like that our athletic department is willing to do something no else has tried.
for ESPN this has been a miserable failure and if there was anyway they could get out of it they would do it.
For texas, they get 15 mill a year for non-football sports. name another school that gets that for non-football sports?
and, dont forget, texas still get league revenue sharing from the Big12 for all sports. i think it was last year that the smaller schools signed a deal with espn to get a online big 12 network created that doesnt include oklahoma or texas but they still get their share of that deal as well. link

bottom line tho, big12 is was a wreck when we left and its a wreck today. but its only been recently since the former big12 schools (texas a&m, missouri, neb) have financially come out ahead om yearly earnings.

ultimately i think the big12 folds in a few years as the pac12 will come for them.

1614761313572.png

(Good Follow-on article)
“We’re taking on 100 percent of the risk, but we get 100 percent of the revenue,” Garrett Klassy, a senior deputy athletic director said in an interview. “We know schematically this will work.”
Speaking in general terms, Klassy said the athletic department “plans on keeping a lot of elements” of the existing broadcasting and marketing networks. “But we’re also looking at ways to improve. We also recognize the importance of having familiar names and voices.”

Now if we could only get into the sports-gear manufacturing business. ;) Just think of the shot-in-the-arm" to business and empoyment in Nebraska!

not all things are going in house, one thing that wont be is licensing, which is probably the biggest overhead, tracking down and sending cease and desist letters to brand violators is a dime a dozen task. i think they want more control over advertising on premise. most of those advertisers are local and learfield/img is not from nebraska they are from texas via NYC.

i tried streaming the audio of the game this past season and i struggled to find any streaming service. most were paid. their android app is kinda terrible. i would find someone else to work on that thing.

I stream Husker audio with Tune In App.

Huskers app as backup

Cash grab to keep things in house. They need to figure out where they will get advertising from now. Hire back Meyers and they may have a shot but i'm sure he's happy where he is now.
Meyers was a fundraiser, not an AE selling ad space. Two entirely different things. E.g., Tenaska has never advertised once yet Howard Hawks et.al., donate millions.

Pretty easy. You call last year’s roster of advertisers and say, do you want to extend at $.98 on the dollar? Sign here. If this is managed well revenues will be 30% higher than what IMG was offering. If it’s managed well and Frost/Hoiberg actually turn things around that number can go much higher.

Meyers was a fundraiser, not an AE selling ad space. Two entirely different things. E.g., Tenaska has never advertised once yet Howard Hawks et.al., donate millions.

Pretty easy. You call last year’s roster of advertisers and say, do you want to extend at $.98 on the dollar? Sign here. If this is managed well revenues will be 30% higher than what IMG was offering. If it’s managed well and Frost/Hoiberg actually turn things around that number can go much higher.
Very true. I was just saying a lot of donors and companies pulled back money (both donations and advertising) when we got rid of Meyers. He swings a big stick with the heavy hitters, and the money those ad reps made for IMG could get him back here.

I’m still in disbelief we haven’t raised what’s needed for the football project yet. We need to bring that guy home.

Last edited:

Very true. I was just saying a lot of donors and companies pulled back money (both donations and advertising) when we got rid of Meyers. He swings a big stick with the heavy hitters, and the money those ad reps made for IMG could get him back here.

I’m still in disbelief we haven’t raised what’s needed for the football project yet. We need to bring that guy home.
Totally agree with that. He had a way with the donors. I think a couple of things are at play. We haven’t been good or relevant for a long, long time. #2 Omaha/Lincoln isn’t quite the incubator it has been in the past. Sure, we have Hudl and other tech startups but ConAgra has moved away, First Data has moved away and we don’t have a lot of up and coming companies anymore. Maybe its the result of business consolidation in our economy.

Top Ten Businesses In Nebraska:

• Berkshire Hathaway.
  • Union Pacific Railroad.
  • Kiewit.
  • Cabela's.
  • Werner Enterprises.
  • West.
  • Valmont Industries.
  • Buckle
First Two Have NO involvement with Husker Athletics that I am aware of and that is hard to understand.

If either of them gave 0.01 of their yearly revenue to DONU athletics we would be in tremendous shape:

2020 UP 1.95 Billion Dollars: 19.5 Million
2020 Berkshire Hathaway: US$254.6 billion: 254.6 Million

See how easy it is to solve budget issues :).

GBR

Top Ten Businesses In Nebraska:

• Berkshire Hathaway.
  • Union Pacific Railroad.
  • Kiewit.
  • Cabela's.
  • Werner Enterprises.
  • West.
  • Valmont Industries.
  • Buckle
First Two Have NO involvement with Husker Athletics that I am aware of and that is hard to understand.

If either of them gave 0.01 of their yearly revenue to DONU athletics we would be in tremendous shape:

2020 UP 1.95 Billion Dollars: 19.5 Million
2020 Berkshire Hathaway: US$254.6 billion: 254.6 Million

See how easy it is to solve budget issues :).

GBR
Just an FYI, Cabela's was sold to Bass Pro Shop, a privately held corporation based in Springfield Missouri, a few years ago. It's trade name is still being used, but it no longer has much connection to Nebraska other than Bass Pro/Cabela's stores in La Vista, Kearney, and Sidney. I am pretty sure that Johnny Morris is not a Husker fan. But yeah, I wish Warren had a little more T. Boone Pickens in him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back