• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska moving away from Learfield/IMG

Megatron

Recruit
5 Year Member
Nebraska moving away from Learfield/IMG is a very bold move, especially with the records of our major sports as of late (ok maybe more than just lately). Only P5 school to do so. Guess I could see Clemson and Bama doing so, but did not think we would.

Maybe they will upgrade the play-by-play for football?

Hope it goes very well. Time will tell.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

From what I understand, Nebraska is betting on itself that it can make more money than what these marketing companies are offering. Plus, allows the athletic department to grow, and hire internal staff that will have Nebraska’s interests as the top/only priority.

Nebraska moving away from Learfield/IMG is a very bold move, especially with the records of our major sports as of late (ok maybe more than just lately). Only P5 school to do so. Guess I could see Clemson and Bama doing so, but did not think we would.

Maybe they will upgrade the play-by-play for football?

Hope it goes very well. Time will tell.

Thoughts?

My understanding is that Nebraska was reasonably in good financial condition.Don’t know what is driving this.Sure hope the powers to be have a clue about what they are doing.ONLY P5 school to do this?Sounds scary to me.We will see.Keep the faith.GBR.

My understanding is that Nebraska was reasonably in good financial condition.Don’t know what is driving this.Sure hope the powers to be have a clue about what they are doing.ONLY P5 school to do this?Sounds scary to me.We will see.Keep the faith.GBR.
not all things are going in house, one thing that wont be is licensing, which is probably the biggest overhead, tracking down and sending cease and desist letters to brand violators is a dime a dozen task. i think they want more control over advertising on premise. most of those advertisers are local and learfield/img is not from nebraska they are from texas via NYC.

i tried streaming the audio of the game this past season and i struggled to find any streaming service. most were paid. their android app is kinda terrible. i would find someone else to work on that thing.

This seems like a good choice -- Husker fans are desperate for content, and while hiring people on is a commitment, they can sign a contract with IMG or another group whenever if it doesn't go well for them. I think it will go well and has some interesting NIL and student opportunities. Glad to see Nebraska take a chance on this.
great point on the opendorse relationship nebraska signed last year, helping connect athletes with good advertisers would be an important draw for kids.

not all things are going in house, one thing that wont be is licensing, which is probably the biggest overhead, tracking down and sending cease and desist letters to brand violators is a dime a dozen task. i think they want more control over advertising on premise. most of those advertisers are local and learfield/img is not from nebraska they are from texas via NYC.

i tried streaming the audio of the game this past season and i struggled to find any streaming service. most were paid. their android app is kinda terrible. i would find someone else to work on that thing.
Thanks for your response.Clears things up a lot.Keep the faith.GBR.

It's a crap shoot that they better hope they get right.

It keeps jobs local and the renegotiated contract with Learfield/IMG almost certainly would have gone from big $ guarantees. It's a risk but I think it's worth taking. You can always sign up with someone if it doesn't work they way we hope. This might actually put us ahead of the curve, especially if wins in football and men's basketball become more frequent.

Last edited:
Nothing ventured is nothing gained. So kudo's to the program for attempting something different then what the rest of the college athletic herd is doing now. The BTN got ripped by many so called experts when it was started. How did that work out? Bottom line give it 100% for a couple of years and count the chips or lack of when the dealing is done.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back