• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska @ Iowa Game Thread (11/27/20)

I actually think this is the best game they coached all year. My biggest complaint was not pulling Jurgens earlier (I don't remember a bad snap in the 2nd half) and we have to try something different than Farniok as he is really slow and has poor balance giving up that last sack was not his only bad play. How about Cochran? I would think Verduzco and Austin should be on the chopping block unless things improve greatly. Just pull the guy when he is having a bad game. We've done that with QB, why not other positions.
have to agree with some of what you said I'm still on the fence with Verduzci with AM being hurt last year it's hard to judge that year. He looked good today but what's next week bring.

Austin has to go O line always has problems and sometimes today just looked lazy like they didn't care. I'm sure they do but it comes off differently. For this O to run they need mean junk yard dog type players that wanna go put a D linemen on his butt.

Can you explain to me how a player muffing a punt is on the coaches. Really kid prob lights out at practice and does just fine makes a mistake and it's on the coaches come on. Team had 4 penalties which is prob about average for all of football. So in your opinion when are the players to be held accountable for their mistakes and it not fall on the coaches.
Please realize all our players look good in practice.....look who they are practicing against. Free year...taps my shoes together, free year...taps my shoes together, free year.

Where I think we get "outcoached" is in the accountability part and this has been happening for quite a while in Bo's later years to now. When a player keeps making the same mistakes, they aren't held accountable. Jurgens for example should be on a super short leash with bad snaps, Farniok had several whiffs and he kept coming out there. If you noticed all of a sudden Jurgens snapped it pretty good in the 2nd half. He is a good blocker. That's my biggest issue on this coaching staff. I'm not talking about pulling after one mistake, but Farniok's footwork is horrible as is his balance and he's not athletic enough to over come any of it. He actually played center better than guard.
Can't argue with anything you said there.

nothing behind this line

Probably true.

What I don't get (well--one of the many things I don't get) is that Frost surely has to know his line is suspect and that his QBs are not very good from the pocket. But he continues to ask them to play from the pocket too often. Why aren't we rolling AM and LM out more or using misdirection to try and get them outside for either a cleaner look at a receiver or to run if the receiver isn't there but the run is?

Farniok absolutely got worked on that last play. But if you're relying on him and the rest of the line to create and keep a pocket with the game on the line . . . you're part of the problem as a play caller.

He gets beat because of poor balance and footwork
and here is a player that "we had to have" , spent a lot of money and coaching time to recruit, and then keep. my question is, is it worth it. we lost Trevor Robinson to Notre Dame, we have won or lost several radius players some help most don't. On the offensive and defensive lines we don't need the 5 star kids, we need the kids that care. as for Jurgens, he started the second half, as far as I could tell, and didn't have a bad snap, as coaches, maybe a kick in the pants is needed. I guess what I am trying to convey is if you don't bleed red, then go and be a bison, or jackrabbit, or ditchchicken, or whatever.

I agree with the D and limiting fault on AM.

But regarding factual discourse, earlier this week, I posted a long list of how our offense ranks as possibly the worst in the modern era of Nebraska football. And yes, that's on Frost. His calling card is the offense, and if anything it looks worse now than the mediocrity of his first season with Riley players.

No clue if this was a valuable learning experience. Haven't we had a helluva lot of supposed "learning experiences" for years now? The only thing Nebraska had to do in this shortened season was not crap the bed. Outside of Ohio State, there isn't a team we shouldn't have been capable of beating -- if we were coached well. When you are coming off two losing seasons under Frost, this season doesn't get a free pass when it sucks.

It's been over two years since Nebraska last beat a team with a winning record. We've lost 9 of our last 11 games. There's only five Power Five schools with fewer wins than Nebraska since 2017. It is a bad product currently where the concept of "learning experience" is applied to losers.

I'm all for Frost returning next season. But I will be far from alone in expecting a winning season in 2021 if this is to continue.

I wasn't all that pissed about today's game -- but I will not buy into a brighter future until I actually see evidence of it. Through today, Frost is best equated with Bill Jennings. Not Solich, Callahan, Bo, or Riley.
no argument from me regarding early W/L results ... but you've been online here since the Pedia beginnings (as you like to continually remind me ;) ) - how about all those who regularly discount Frank's early success (even the 2001 season) as all due to having TO's players. Same with Bo's 2009 & early successes. Shouldn't SF be evaluated with "his" players?

I'm frustrated & wish things were different... but I'm personally withholding judgement until year 5 or 6. We've had 2 decades of battles on these airwaves... so much so that at times it feels like folks are numb to actual progress, again, just my opinion.

you like stats & barometric pressure & stuff - that's cool, I get that... Frankly I'm tired & done with the 9 wins or more panicked crowd. I was proud of the team & effort today, ~4th time I've said that this season. 7 of the 9 losses you choose to highlight were one score games, & five came against ranked teams - not an excuse, just quality competitive contests - the kind of "close game" which lesser programs celebrate & build upon, but we ridicule & belittle, because somehow we're entitled to better. The repulsion to mediocrity, has blinded many to actual progress. IMO.

draw your lines in the sand (or on the teleprompter) but I see blue skies ahead, I might be wrong & it might rain - I'm just done worrying either way. For the record, I enjoyed todays game immensely, ending sucked, but I'm always proud to be a Husker.

Last edited:
Iowa was mad as hell when Nebraska got him, they’ve been laughing ever since
Iowa has a habit of turning our rejects into studs while we turn what they go after into mediocre football players. Iowa develops talent a hell of alot better than we do. I have no doubt Farniok would be a player in Iowa City.

no argument from me regarding early W/L results ... but you've been online here since the Pedia beginnings (as you like to continually remind me ;) ) - how about all those who regularly discount Frank's early success (even the 2001 season) as all due to having TO's players. Same with Bo's 2009 & early successes. Shouldn't SF be evaluated with "his" players?

I'm frustrated & wish things were different... but I'm personally withholding judgement until year 5 or 6. We've had 2 decades of battles on these airwaves... so much so that at times it feels like folks are numb to actual progress, again, just my opinion.

you like stats & barometric pressure & stuff - that's cool, I get that... Frankly I'm tired & done with the 9 wins or more panicked crowd. I was proud of the team & effort today, ~4th time I've said that this season. 7 of the 9 losses you choose to highlight were one score games, & five came against ranked teams - not an excuse, just quality competitive contests - the kind of "close game" which lesser programs celebrate & build upon, but we ridicule & belittle, because somehow we're entitled to better. The repulsion to mediocrity, has blinded many to actual progress. IMO.

draw your lines in the sand (or on the teleprompter) but I see blue skies ahead, I might be wrong & it might rain - I'm just done worrying either way. For the record, I enjoyed todays game immensely, ending sucked, but I'm always proud to be a Husker.

Ultimately, what any of us type here has little bearing on the direction of this program. Well, at least I confess I'm not donating millions to UNL.

Regarding evaluating Frost with his players, sure. These are pretty much his players now -- and as I said, I'm good with Frost getting next season. But realistically, coaches don't rattle off four straight losing seasons anywhere and then turn it around. So Frost needs to win next season, IMO (again, understanding my opinion is because I have an anal cavity).

BTW, did you know I've been here since the Pedia days?

Last edited:
Iowa has a habit of turning our rejects into studs while we turn what they go after into mediocre football players. Iowa develops talent a hell of alot better than we do. I have no doubt Farniok would be a player in Iowa City.
Fair point. Kirk and staff maximize their players talent

The movement to get rid of Frost is madness. We got rid of a 9 win coach who had played for a Natty 2 years before. Yes, we did not deserve that game but still...

We got a ---- coach who could recruit well but played not to lose and in the process was so arrogant he tore down history. Most notably ours.

We got a coach who won 9 games a year but probably did not want to be here and definitely overvalued his worth on the open market.

We got a coach who was a nice guy and supposedly recruited well but was soft, soft, soft.

Like it or not, we have Frost. He wanted the job. He is a native son. He is a winner (not here yet but...). Today was a winnable game. He made all the right moves to get us to that point. It is frustrating as hell to lose that way. Our defense looked good today. Our ST have sucked for a long time. Frost had rJr, rFr at QB. Fr and Fr at RB. Soph at RB and Duck. Mostly Fr at WR.

The glaring issue on this team is (and has been for a decade plus) o line.

The movement to get rid of Frost is madness. We got rid of a 9 win coach who had played for a Natty 2 years before. Yes, we did not deserve that game but still...

We got a ---- coach who could recruit well but played not to lose and in the process was so arrogant he tore down history. Most notably ours.

We got a coach who won 9 games a year but probably did not want to be here and definitely overvalued his worth on the open market.

We got a coach who was a nice guy and supposedly recruited well but was soft, soft, soft.

Like it or not, we have Frost. He wanted the job. He is a native son. He is a winner (not here yet but...). Today was a winnable game. He made all the right moves to get us to that point. It is frustrating as hell to lose that way. Our defense looked good today. Our ST have sucked for a long time. Frost had rJr, rFr at QB. Fr and Fr at RB. Soph at RB and Duck. Mostly Fr at WR.

The glaring issue on this team is (and has been for a decade plus) o line.

It's too early to fire Scott Fraud. Having gone all-in, we're stuck with him for at least another year or two. But that doesn't change the fact that he stinks.

In the meantime, NO MORE CONTRACT EXTENSIONS!!!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back