• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska football's close-game struggles under Scott Frost highlighted by eye-opening stat

WTH are you talking about? Damn dude,
Using your words describing the Big 12 teams.
If theres more parity in the Big twelve, losing 7 straight speaks volumes losing to a number 5 also ran Big team.
And playing close in games means what exactly?

Playing close to me means theres just something missing, and likely not much at that.
But Iowa has woodshedded ISU on occasion, and has a huge winning streak as well.
Nebraska has played Iowa closer as of late. But we also have lost lots of close games, closer than ISUs games against Iowa.
So, when you say teams in the Big 12 compete at a fairly high level you should say the same about the Huskers.

^ I’m just saying that Big 12 teams as a whole, are as good as BIG teams, taking out Ohio State. You made nonsense out of nothing.

2AM's ability to scramble was a blessing and a curse. It was almost a necessity behind an offensive line that just wasn't very good for the time he was our quarterback. He made something out of nothing more times than I can count.

That being said, one of the hardest things for an offensive line to do is block for someone that is freelancing. The idea of forming a "pocket" is to block and create a hedge of protection for the one spot that you expect the quarterback to be. However, when the quarterback moves, you lose that location of protection and you see a lot of holding penalties that result from trying to recover and block for the new location. It is a double edged sword.
Who coached him? Who hired that guy? Why did it take so long to realize it was a failure hire? The contortions to relieve the HC of responsibility end right there.

Who coached him? Who hired that guy? Why did it take so long to realize it was a failure hire? The contortions to relieve the HC of responsibility end right there.
The problem was risk-reward. There are times that AM looked like one of the top players in the nation. Having coached sports before, when you see potential in someone it can be hard to give up on something that you think can be special. How much of the blame is on AM for not developing more and how much is on coaching? I honestly don't know. It always felt like AM's mistakes were less about him not developing and more about him regressing into bad habits. That was my take.

The problem was risk-reward. There are times that AM looked like one of the top players in the nation. Having coached sports before, when you see potential in someone it can be hard to give up on something that you think can be special. How much of the blame is on AM for not developing more and how much is on coaching? I honestly don't know. It always felt like AM's mistakes were less about him not developing and more about him regressing into bad habits. That was my take.
I've coached football as well and not my grandkid's peewee pop warner football team. If Martinez was the reason why NU lost games then why didn't they recruit a replacement? Why did his productivity decline the longer he was in the system? If Verduzco wasn't the problem then why was he fired? I get that it's a coping mechanism, but Martinez makes a convenient scapegoat.

I've coached football as well and not my grandkid's peewee pop warner football team. If Martinez was the reason why NU lost games then why didn't they recruit a replacement? Why did his productivity decline the longer he was in the system? If Verduzco wasn't the problem then why was he fired? I get that it's a coping mechanism, but Martinez makes a convenient scapegoat.
I'm not saying SF is without fault, I'm just explaining the logic behind keeping him in place. I think that they did attempt to recruit a replacement (McCaffery, Smothers), but neither proved to be a better alternative. Ultimately the coaches are responsible and it was my opinion thru the back half of last season we needed to turn things over to Smothers, just to vet whether he was a viable option in the future.

Martinez's productivity increased by the end of his time at Nebraska. He had a great freshman year, and regressed in year two. I've detailed in other posts that I believe a lot of that had to do with other coaches getting tape on Nebraska after Year 1 and identifying the weaknesses in Martinez game and how to scheme against our offense. By Year 3, they had changed the offense to get the ball out of his hand quicker and make shorter throws which increased his accuracy. Last year, he ranked 28th in the nation in QBR. He finished last season with his best passer rating and most yards from scrimmage. He still made mistakes that I believe caused us to lose some games, but he also made a number of plays that kept us in some games. It is either revisionist history or complete lack of attention to the facts to say that his productivity declined the longer he was in the system.

Martinez is a convenient scapegoat, but that doesn't mean it won't prove to be the change that we needed. Martinez was one of two significant constants over the last four years, the other being Scott Frost. Ultimately, with their wagons now unhitched, we will see how much of a factor each played in our lackluster performance.

Martinez is a convenient scapegoat, but that doesn't mean it won't prove to be the change that we needed. Martinez was one of two significant constants over the last four years, the other being Scott Frost. Ultimately, with their wagons now unhitched, we will see how much of a factor each played in our lackluster performance.
Frost has been successful in his duties without Martinez. This year, we'll see if Martinez can be successful without Frost.

This could end up just being one of those marriages that didn't work out and two good people are just better apart. There is no doubt they were horrible together.

Maybe KSU will be a better offensive fit for 2AM and Frost will find a QB better suited to his offense. I hope so.

Frost has been successful in his duties without Martinez. This year, we'll see if Martinez can be successful without Frost.

This could end up just being one of those marriages that didn't work out and two good people are just better apart. There is no doubt they were horrible together.

Maybe KSU will be a better offensive fit for 2AM and Frost will find a QB better suited to his offense. I hope so.

You mean Coach Whipple’s offense? :thumbsup:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back