• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska football's close-game struggles under Scott Frost highlighted by eye-opening stat

Gonna laugh when Adrian wins Big 12 player of the year when he is actually protected and helped with a running back threat.
He very well could. He’s a fine, talented athlete. I’m unsure why all the collapses in crunch time at Nebraska, but I’m guessing it was way more than just him. Kleiman is a damn good coach, I suspect he will maximize Adrians best from him. Nebraska has just been a teams worth of a mess under Frost. It’s been a trickle down effect that has infested the entire program, so it’s hard to put the blame on one guy. It’s literally been everything. Won’t surprise me if he kills it there, although certainly no guarantee.

He very well could. He’s a fine, talented athlete. I’m unsure why all the collapses in crunch time at Nebraska, but I’m guessing it was way more than just him. Kleiman is a damn good coach, I suspect he will maximize Adrians best from him. Nebraska has just been a teams worth of a mess under Frost. It’s been a trickle down effect that has infested the entire program, so it’s hard to put the blame on one guy. It’s literally been everything. Won’t surprise me if he kills it there, although certainly no guarantee.
Coaching is the best in the Big.
Talent edge to the Big.
Defense a huge edge to the Big.
Impossible to do an apples to apples, but Kleiman could coach in the Big imo, and at KSU he does against weaker defenses.
AM should shine most the time there.

Coaching is the best in the Big.
Talent edge to the Big.
Defense a huge edge to the Big.
Impossible to do an apples to apples, but Kleiman could coach in the Big imo, and at KSU he does against weaker defenses.
AM should shine most the time there.
KSU could beat Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Purdue, or any of the other average joes. So could Oklahoma State, Baylor, or Iowa State. Nonsense. Ohio State is the only big dog in the BIG. Everyone else is interchangeable with the Big 12. Just because Nebraska sucks and has underachieved in this league doesn’t mean other Big 12 teams couldn’t beat their fair share of the BIG. I buy none of that.

KSU could beat Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Purdue, or any of the other average joes. So could Oklahoma State, Baylor, or Iowa State. Nonsense. Ohio State is the only big dog in the BIG. Everyone else is interchangeable with the Big 12. Just because Nebraska sucks and has underachieved in this league doesn’t mean other Big 12 teams couldn’t beat their fair share of the BIG. I buy none of that.
Lets see, ISU vs the ditch chickens, tell us how thats worked out?

I took my time machine back to 1874, when Yale was finally able to knock off Princeton, and the Princeton analyst telegraphed a frantic note back to New Jersey…”penalties and turnovers are just killing us!”

The ONLY Big team that plays a Big 12 team every year, and Iowa owns ISU.
As apples as it gets.

This study backs his tweet up, to a 37% level, even though it was done back in 2013.

"It's not shocking to see that on average, a higher per-game turnover margin leads to more wins. The relationship is somewhat strong, but obviously there are many other factors that go into winning percentage. The R squared (coefficient of determination) for the trendline shown in the chart is 37%, meaning that turnovers "explain" 37% of the win total data in this model."

NU has a few more issues they need to correct that do include TP margin. (e.g. FG % is 46%).

In another study here: https://www.marksmath.org/visualization/CFB_Stats/

"Amongst the myriad stats that college football coaches track to gauge their team's strength, four stand out as highly correlated to wins and losses:
  • 3rd down conversion percentage
  • Average yards per pass attempt
  • Turnover margin
  • Rush attempts"

Last edited:

The million dollar question will be answered this year: Why haven't we been successful?

Was it Frost's poor recruiting/player development early on, bad game planning and play calling, or inability to create mental toughness for players to not crumble in close games?

Or was it Adrian's inability to stay healthy, poor decision making, lack of ball security, inability to make the right throws?

My bet- It is probably a combination of the two. However, for the entirety of this era of Nebraska football, those two have been hitched together. The one thing to hang some hope on is that there have been a lot of closes losses, which means we are potentially very close to turning some of those to wins.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back