• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska 'close to signing Frost to 7 year contract

This thing is getting really old. I doubt that anyone, outside a handful of people who aren't going to talk, really knows anything of any substance. When the football team is decent we are at least talking about the upcoming game, strengths and weaknesses of the opponent, matchups, where the team might be for bowl season. We've been rehashing the same non-information for almost two months and it gets more ridiculous the longer it goes. There was a time I was checking in fairly often to see if there was anything new. I think I've finally figured out there won't likely be anything worth knowing until a press conference is scheduled to announce the new coach. Until then, separating any actual information from all the bull excrement is almost impossible. As Red Reign always points out in the lead up to NSD, it's troll season.

Just posting video game rumors at this point. "We heard Nebraska is offering 5 so we will go 8 million." Per year mind you. Can't wait for this to be over.

I agree with you that this can't be over soon enough. However, I don't think it's beyond the pale for UF to completely blow the market for coaching salaries. One, they can't stand that Alabama's running the SEC and they're not even in the conversation. Two, the alleged hold up previously was that Frost wanted to bring his staff with him and he did not want to commit to keeping Randy Shannon. I think the $8 mil/year offer, if it exists, is designed to get him to agree to those conditions. However, if they're on to Frost it seems to me like Kelly must have told them no.

If Moos even checked in on Kelly IMO that means he's moved on from Frost. Combine that with the IMO believable rumor that his wife may not want to live in Nebraska, I am very pessimistic that Frost is the guy. I think we're now on to the guys who are not going to excite many people at all.

Last edited:
He's been out of coaching for 9 years and I don't know his last college stop. He's not a bum, but he's been gone a long time and the NFL and college are very different animals.

He does this every single year. I personally think he does this for his ego. He's flirted with Tennessee for at least 3-4 years. Last week there was a report he was dining in an restaurant in Knoxville and their fan base went nuts. It was their version of the cable guy rumors here in 2004. Gruden was in fact in Seattle.

I agree with you that this can't be over soon enough. However, I don't think it's beyond the pale for UF to completely blow the market for coaching salaries. One, they can't stand that Alabama's running the SEC and they're not even in the conversation. Two, the alleged hold up previously was that Frost wanted to bring his staff with him and he did not want to commit to keeping Randy Shannon. I think the $8 mil/year offer, if it exists, is designed to get him to agree to those conditions.

If Moos even checked in on Kelly IMO that means he's moved on from Frost. Combine that with the IMO believable rumor that his wife may not want to live in Nebraska, I am very pessimistic that Frost is the guy. I think we're now on to the guys who are not going to excite many people at all.
If MR is let go on Saturday as rumor has it, then Moos has his guy. All signs point to that being SF. Don't over think it. Sometimes things are as good as they seem.

I agree with you that this can't be over soon enough. However, I don't think it's beyond the pale for UF to completely blow the market for coaching salaries. One, they can't stand that Alabama's running the SEC and they're not even in the conversation. Two, the alleged hold up previously was that Frost wanted to bring his staff with him and he did not want to commit to keeping Randy Shannon. I think the $8 mil/year offer, if it exists, is designed to get him to agree to those conditions. However, if they're on to Frost it seems to me like Kelly must have told them no.

I'm not doubting they are trying to top an offer, I'm rolling my eyes that people keep throwing figures out to act like they are in the know. Secondly, if 8 million is what they are willing to offer, Frost isn't at the top of their list. Meyer, Shaw, Franklin, Gundy, Petersen, one of those guys would listen and leave their current spot.

On another note, I don't think Moos asking if Kelly was interested means he moved on from Frost. I think he was doing his due diligence which I want him to do. Kelly may even say "i'm interested, but Scott is your guy, so i'm looking elsewhere".

Last edited:
I'm not doubting they are trying to top an offer, I'm rolling my eyes that people keep throwing figures out to act like they are in the know. Secondly, if 8 million is what they are willing to offer, Frost isn't at the top of their list. Meyer, Shaw, Franklin, Gundy, Petersen, one of those guys would listen and leave their current spot.

On another note, I don't think Moos asking if Kelly was interested means he moved on from Frost. I think he was doing his due diligence which I want him to do. Kelly may even say "i'm interested, but Scott is your guy, so i'm looking elsewhere".

Uncommon common sense right here.

While Frost is probably at the top of the list, I would find it hard to believe (and also negligent) that Moos only did due diligence on, or contacted, Frost and has no list of possible alternatives. Reaching out to Kelly, I would guess, is more related to putting his potential list together than it is anything to do with Frost being hot or cold.

Whatever happens, I'll trust Moos to find a sound replacement for Riley.

This thing is getting really old. I doubt that anyone, outside a handful of people who aren't going to talk, really knows anything of any substance. When the football team is decent we are at least talking about the upcoming game, strengths and weaknesses of the opponent, matchups, where the team might be for bowl season. We've been rehashing the same non-information for almost two months and it gets more ridiculous the longer it goes. There was a time I was checking in fairly often to see if there was anything new. I think I've finally figured out there won't likely be anything worth knowing until a press conference is scheduled to announce the new coach. Until then, separating any actual information from all the bull excrement is almost impossible. As Red Reign always points out in the lead up to NSD, it's troll season.

At least, if you don't want to chime in, you don't have to do that. :)

At least, if you don't want to chime in, you don't have to do that. :)

:)Yeah, I know. Checking in on the threads is kind of a guilty pleasure. I know there isn't going to be anything terribly substantive there but I can't keep myself from looking.

It'll be nice to get back to some certainty once the new coach is hired.

Moos is doing what Petey and Eichorst should have done and that is have a plan B. However, not sure Eichorst looked beyond MR. There are going to be a ton of rumors some unbelievable prior to a new coach being named. It would be interesting to have a list of some of those flying around prior to our last three coaches being hired. I will be glad when its over and we have a new coach. Yes Scott Frost is great young coach with a ton of potential and knows the Big Red culture but I am not convinced there is not another coach out there who can make us a winner again. I agree SF is the number one candidate.

Code:
NCAAF COACHES
[IMG]http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/SMG/sports_headshots/ncaaf/coach/nick_saban_l.jpg[/IMG]
TOP NCAAF COACH PAY
Nick Saban
Total
$11,132,000
2017 NCAAF COACHES SALARIES
RK SCHOOL CONF COACH SCHOOL PAY TOTAL PAY MAX BONUS BONUSES PAID (2016-17) ASST PAY TOTAL SCHOOL BUYOUT AS OF 12/1/17
1 Alabama SEC Nick Saban $11,132,000 $11,132,000 $700,000 $550,000 -- $26,900,000
2 Clemson ACC Dabo Swinney $8,504,600 $8,526,800 $1,000,000 $1,525,000 -- $40,000,000
3 Michigan Big Ten Jim Harbaugh $7,004,000 $7,004,000 $1,325,000 $200,000 -- $20,555,556
4 Ohio State Big Ten Urban Meyer $6,431,240 $6,431,240 $775,000 $300,000 -- $21,345,100
5 Arizona Pac-12 Rich Rodriguez $5,631,563 $6,031,563 $2,025,000 $25,000 -- $6,487,500
6 Florida State ACC Jimbo Fisher $5,700,000 $5,700,000 $1,475,000 $200,000 -- $39,312,500
7 Stanford Pac-12 David Shaw $5,680,441 $5,680,441 -- -- -- --
8 Texas Big 12 Tom Herman $5,486,316 $5,486,316 $725,000 -- -- $20,416,667
9 Texas Christian Big 12 Gary Patterson $5,104,077 $5,104,077 -- -- -- --
10 Texas A&M SEC Kevin Sumlin $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $1,050,000 $100,000 -- $10,416,667

:)Yeah, I know. Checking in on the threads is kind of a guilty pleasure. I know there isn't going to be anything terribly substantive there but I can't keep myself from looking.

It'll be nice to get back to some certainty once the new coach is hired.
Yeah, like...curiosity killed the cat. :)

Code:
NCAAF COACHES
[IMG]http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/SMG/sports_headshots/ncaaf/coach/nick_saban_l.jpg[/IMG]
TOP NCAAF COACH PAY
Nick Saban
Total
$11,132,000
2017 NCAAF COACHES SALARIES
RK SCHOOL CONF COACH SCHOOL PAY TOTAL PAY MAX BONUS BONUSES PAID (2016-17) ASST PAY TOTAL SCHOOL BUYOUT AS OF 12/1/17
1 Alabama SEC Nick Saban $11,132,000 $11,132,000 $700,000 $550,000 -- $26,900,000
2 Clemson ACC Dabo Swinney $8,504,600 $8,526,800 $1,000,000 $1,525,000 -- $40,000,000
3 Michigan Big Ten Jim Harbaugh $7,004,000 $7,004,000 $1,325,000 $200,000 -- $20,555,556
4 Ohio State Big Ten Urban Meyer $6,431,240 $6,431,240 $775,000 $300,000 -- $21,345,100
5 Arizona Pac-12 Rich Rodriguez $5,631,563 $6,031,563 $2,025,000 $25,000 -- $6,487,500
6 Florida State ACC Jimbo Fisher $5,700,000 $5,700,000 $1,475,000 $200,000 -- $39,312,500
7 Stanford Pac-12 David Shaw $5,680,441 $5,680,441 -- -- -- --
8 Texas Big 12 Tom Herman $5,486,316 $5,486,316 $725,000 -- -- $20,416,667
9 Texas Christian Big 12 Gary Patterson $5,104,077 $5,104,077 -- -- -- --
10 Texas A&M SEC Kevin Sumlin $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $1,050,000 $100,000 -- $10,416,667
11M,+ for Saban?? ,Now, that is outragious!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back