• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEBRASKA Better or worse? Previewing Nebraska's offense in 2022

Because even though it was all Martinez, it still worked. He averaged almost 5 yards per carry in his career; I think a better way to word it would've been "the Huskers have never struggled putting up rushing yards" or something like that because we do move the ball with the QB run, just not so much the RBs
Boy do I hate statistics.

This "average" you speak of was made up of several 50+ yard carries and many less than 2 yard carries and negative yard plays.

This does NOT compare favorably with the "five yards per carry" that a good running game that controls the clock and wins games in the 4th quarter gets from good RB's like we had in the 80's and 90's.

Nor does it even compare to the average from our option QB days where they consistently ran the ball for positive yardage rather than the variable yield that Martinez, as a passing QB has generated over the HCSF era.

So, Martinez was an asset in the running game but not a consistent one, one that could be counted on like an RB based run game.

GBR

Then NU will have a new staff in 2023. Another start over tenure. Has a coach ever been brought back before after 5 consecutive losing seasons? Regardless, with the talent on this team, 9-3 should almost be the floor, especially with the weak schedule NU finally got from the BIG. I’m in the minority I’m sure, but given that weak schedule, and the talent on this team, I would expect for this team to challenge the West to the end. Nothing less is really acceptable. Will they? I have no confidence they will, but I expect them to given this roster, which is better than any team in the West, and maybe by a good margin.
I agree with you that this team should be capable of competing for the division. I suspect a bowl game of any sort will be enough to keep Frost and this staff intact, but I'd be disappointed with a 6 win season.

I suspect I will be disappointed if we only win 6 - in the fourth year we should do a lot better.

But being honest with myself, I would enjoy a bowl game even if we only won 6. It seems like a long time ago that we even went to one.

I agree with you that this team should be capable of competing for the division. I suspect a bowl game of any sort will be enough to keep Frost and this staff intact, but I'd be disappointed with a 6 win season.
I don't know. I think a 6-6 regular season record might not be enough. A bowl win and a 7-6 record would certainly represent improvement. But timing is the issue. The AD may not feel comfortable waiting to see if the bowl game brought a victory. What if you finish 6-7? Will the fan base and administration tolerate a 5th losing season? I'm skeptical of that.

Bottom line...we need a 7+ win regular season games. I'm hopeful we'll get it done. I think we will.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back