• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NEBRASKA Better or worse? Previewing Nebraska's offense in 2022

This article lost all credibility when it said, ‘one thing Nebraska has never struggled with in Frosts tenure is running the football’. What? What on earth have they been watching? The running game was Martinez, and a mix by committee of backs, most of which were never allowed to find a groove before another back was in the game. While it had stretches of decent running, imo, they never fully would commit to a dominant ground game. I would call the Nebraska run game under Frost, erratic at best, with the best being Ozigbo in season 1.

I see 5W-7L. Better than last year.
Then NU will have a new staff in 2023. Another start over tenure. Has a coach ever been brought back before after 5 consecutive losing seasons? Regardless, with the talent on this team, 9-3 should almost be the floor, especially with the weak schedule NU finally got from the BIG. I’m in the minority I’m sure, but given that weak schedule, and the talent on this team, I would expect for this team to challenge the West to the end. Nothing less is really acceptable. Will they? I have no confidence they will, but I expect them to given this roster, which is better than any team in the West, and maybe by a good margin.

Last edited:
Then NU will have a new staff in 2023. Another start over tenure. Has a coach ever been brought back before after 5 consecutive losing seasons? Regardless, with the talent on this team, 9-3 should almost be the floor, especially with the weak schedule NU finally got from the BIG. I’m in the minority I’m sure, but given that weak schedule, and the talent on this team, I would expect for this team to challenge the West to the end. Nothing less is really acceptable. Will they? I have no confidence they will, but I expect them to given this roster, which is better than any team in the West, and maybe by a good margin.

I’m going to wait until I see our new QB take a snap in a live game before concluding how many wins or losses we will or should have. But I do agree with you that it appears this staff has upped their game in recruiting. Whether they are indeed better than our competition is a question that will need to wait until fall.

This article lost all credibility when it said, ‘one thing Nebraska has never struggled with in Frosts tenure is running the football’. What? What on earth have they been watching? The running game was Martinez, and a mix by committee of backs, most of which were never allowed to find a groove before another back was in the game. While it had stretches of decent running, imo, they never fully would commit to a dominant ground game. I would call the Nebraska run game under Frost, erratic at best, with the best being Ozigbo in season 1.
KSU Martinez will probably made 2022 College Football All-America Team. At least honorable mention.

I’m going to wait until I see our new QB take a snap in a live game before concluding how many wins or losses we will or should have. But I do agree with you that it appears this staff has upped their game in recruiting. Whether they are indeed better than our competition is a question that will need to wait until fall.
Ohh, I don’t have any expectations, yet I expect them to win, if that makes sense? Anything can happen. On paper, there isn’t a better roster in the West, that’s kinda what I’m alluding to. Either these guys can form a team, or they can’t. It’s not the talent, never was. Nebraska has done less with more for years now, and to me, that’s been a coaching, team organization matter. Do they get that fixed finally? It’s a million dollar question I’m not sure any analyst, or fan can answer.

KSU Martinez will probably made 2022 College Football All-America Team. At least honorable mention.
He has the ability for sure. If he does, it will say much about the leadership he had at Nebraska. Kleiman doesn’t mess around. I think KSU is a player for the Big 12 this year. We shall see.

Bold prediction. There's probably just as much of a chance he doesn't even make all conference, particularly if he doesn't get his turnovers in check.

Ohh, I don’t have any expectations, yet I expect them to win, if that makes sense? Anything can happen. On paper, there isn’t a better roster in the West, that’s kinda what I’m alluding to. Either these guys can form a team, or they can’t. It’s not the talent, never was. Nebraska has done less with more for years now, and to me, that’s been a coaching, team organization matter. Do they get that fixed finally? It’s a million dollar question I’m not sure any analyst, or fan can answer.

Oh, I get the duality of the term "expectations". On one hand, every Husker fan has an "expectation" that their Husker program will be strong and competitive, without regard to what is going on in the locker room itself. That's the 30,000 foot expectation.

Then there is the ground level view where "expectations" take into account the roster, recent past experience and performance, and schedule. In the 1990's we had the expectation that, with Tommy Frazier, the dominant line, and top RB's, we were going to be good. We expected to be good because we had a proven commodity and there was no reason to believe they wouldn't continue to dominate as long as those players were still in the program. (and that doesn't even get into our dominant defense)

But in 2022, it's hard to put "expectations" on how they will perform. We have several new QB's who have never played a down with this team, backed up by several QB's that weren't ready to play significant playing time when the #1 QB was suffering pretty significant injuries, hindering his performance. We have a line that has seemingly underperformed, though one could make the argument that this had as much to do with the limitations of the QB and WR's. And we have an intermittently successful group of running backs. Add to that, the addition of a new offensive coaching staff and it's anyone's guess. Our defense was reasonably effective last year, but we lost some significant pieces and are now replacing them with new talent as well.

I would like to believe that this staff is going to begin to get this team back on solid footing. Hopefully, in December we will all say something like, "well, that was better than I expected."

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back