• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Athletics

cobfather

Recruit
5 Year Member
If you could choose the state of Nebraska athletics for the next 20 years, what option would you pick:

1. No conference or national championships in any sport, but solid programs. 8-11 wins each year in football. Basketball, volleyball and baseball make it to postseason play and are in top half of conference play every year. The teams are never blown out or look over-matched.

2. Football becomes national power. Multiple Big 10 championships, In playoffs most years and wins at least 1 national championship. Basketball, volleyball and baseball are horrible and bottom feeders in Big 10.

3. Football continues to struggle and bottom feeders in Big 10. But basketball, volleyball and baseball programs are dominant and each win at least one national championship with multiple conference championships.

Option #4 …

1. NCs for Volleyball,

2. a return to perennial top 25 football program, occasional top 10, occasional CFP participant

3. up and down performance for bball programs, qualifying for NCAA tournament half the time, men’s program will secure its first NCAA tourney win but men’s program will be up and down … nature of the game for non-blue bloods.

4. woman’s bball (for NU) will be moderately more successful than men’s but will too be up and down. I suspect over the next decade women’s bball in general will increase in popularity with monetary incentives to follow.

5. baseball will more often than not lead the B1G … but not sure it’ll ever be an ncaa worthy competitor.

Last edited:
By far and away, #2. Nebraska is known for football. I enjoy watching Husker hoops and baseball, but football trumps everything.

Don't forget that in 20 years, football might break away from the NCAA and become some kind of semi-pro, NFL Jr. thing. If that's the case, I want football competing at an elite level.

#1. Though I'd ask to bump that up to "infrequent conference championships but no national titles."

I don't need national championships to be happy. I do like a team that is very competitive many more times than not. I want to watch always believing we have a chance.

And that applies to all of the sports listed in the OP. I'm a fan of football, basketball, baseball, and volleyball.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm never one who would be fine with all the other sports sucking while Nebraska football is elite.

With what you listed, easily #2, as it carries the most weight, and feeds all those other programs money. If football is dominant, money flows, even more so than it is now. It’s also the pride of the state of Nebraska.

#2, Selfishly. But I didn’t go to UNL, I don’t have that pride in the University.

I just have a weird obsession with a college football team halfway across the county in a place I’ve barely spent any time because….I guess I want my father’s approval? Hmmm.

All those years of therapy and all I needed was your post.

If you could choose the state of Nebraska athletics for the next 20 years, what option would you pick:

1. No conference or national championships in any sport, but solid programs. 8-11 wins each year in football. Basketball, volleyball and baseball make it to postseason play and are in top half of conference play every year. The teams are never blown out or look over-matched.

2. Football becomes national power. Multiple Big 10 championships, In playoffs most years and wins at least 1 national championship. Basketball, volleyball and baseball are horrible and bottom feeders in Big 10.

3. Football continues to struggle and bottom feeders in Big 10. But basketball, volleyball and baseball programs are dominant and each win at least one national championship with multiple conference championships.
Add a hockey team

I would pick a return the glory days where the other team had fear in their hearts every time they headed into Lincoln or their own house to play the Huskers. Nothing less.

Last edited:

Add a hockey team
and disband basketball. Joined ....

800px-Pan_Hockey_Arena.jpg

coldwar-thumb-590x472-61602.jpeg

4385529493_f0199c1d05_o.0.jpg

and Gophers, Buckeyes, etc ....

Most Husker games, PBA. Guaranteed sell-out for every game

Last edited:
#2, Selfishly. But I didn’t go to UNL, I don’t have that pride in the University.

I just have a weird obsession with a college football team halfway across the county in a place I’ve barely spent any time because….I guess I want my father’s approval? Hmmm.

All those years of therapy and all I needed was your post.
I'd be proud to call you son, you've learned well grasshopper.

4385529493_f0199c1d05_o.0.jpg

Add a hockey team
Basketball returns a profit despite piss poor on court results. In fact Husker bball returns more revenue than most college hockey teams.

Mens hockey would require women’s hockey and THAT is a guaranteed money loss.

Last edited:
#2... I want a kick ass football program and nothing less. I want Nebraska to be competive in all other sports but I’m not expectly all broken up when it doesn’t happen.

2 definitely. Though Volleyball is great and Baseball and Basketball have consistent greatness potential.....Nebraska is a football school, will always be more important.

Last edited:

Tough call. Would love another NC (or 4) for the FB team before i die. Basketball is a lost cause. Love the VB! NU is in the wrong conference for great baseball

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back