• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Athletics turning into old Time Nebraska Highschool support.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
I do not know what it is like now. However when I grew up going to North Platte Saint Pats in the late 70s early 80s. One of the cool things is the way all of the small towns followed their teams. I remember driving home from Grant or Burwell or some other small town after a game. You could look out the back of the bus and see, what seemed like an endless line of headlights following the Bus. It did not really matter what the sport was. The cares were always there. Parents, students old enough to drive but not on the team. Sometimes on a 2 lane state highway you would see a bus going the other direction from another town with a similar line of cars following the bus.

I started thinking tonight as I watched the Football team performing the Dunk contest at the BBall game. Or the story about the whole team turning out to watch Naxh wrestle.

What Rhule has started, not only on his team but the athletic department in general. Is that small town NE Highschool feel. Now let me talk about what I think that does mentally for his players and for the athletic department in general.

1. It makes the young men on his team fell connected to not only the football team, but the college and the state.
2. It lowers the number of people wanting to transfer because they feel at home.
3. It brings out more fans to the sports that normally do not attract as many. ( I am just going to guess that once the football team was in the stands there are probably more wrestling fans)
4. Higher ticket sales to the revenue neutral or negative sports. Might just take their heads off of the chopping block.
5. I used to hear comments from other sports players that made it seem like they were a little jealous of the treatment the football players got. When they are all out there supporting you. My guess is that goes away.
6. Last but not least, it seems like many of the other coaches are following Rhule's lead. Nothing bad can come of a unified athletic department.

This whole movement is one of MANY reasons I really hope HCMR is succesful.

I do not know what it is like now. However when I grew up going to North Platte Saint Pats in the late 70s early 80s. One of the cool things is the way all of the small towns followed their teams. I remember driving home from Grant or Burwell or some other small town after a game. You could look out the back of the bus and see, what seemed like an endless line of headlights following the Bus. It did not really matter what the sport was. The cares were always there. Parents, students old enough to drive but not on the team. Sometimes on a 2 lane state highway you would see a bus going the other direction from another town with a similar line of cars following the bus.

I started thinking tonight as I watched the Football team performing the Dunk contest at the BBall game. Or the story about the whole team turning out to watch Naxh wrestle.

What Rhule has started, not only on his team but the athletic department in general. Is that small town NE Highschool feel. Now let me talk about what I think that does mentally for his players and for the athletic department in general.

1. It makes the young men on his team fell connected to not only the football team, but the college and the state.
2. It lowers the number of people wanting to transfer because they feel at home.
3. It brings out more fans to the sports that normally do not attract as many. ( I am just going to guess that once the football team was in the stands there are probably more wrestling fans)
4. Higher ticket sales to the revenue neutral or negative sports. Might just take their heads off of the chopping block.
5. I used to hear comments from other sports players that made it seem like they were a little jealous of the treatment the football players got. When they are all out there supporting you. My guess is that goes away.
6. Last but not least, it seems like many of the other coaches are following Rhule's lead. Nothing bad can come of a unified athletic department.

Very solid. It does have a little of that feel. I hope he ends his career here, barring he wins, which I think he will. He has everything he needs to win right here.

That was my experience attending high school in late 90s / early 2000s as well.

I am also really excited for this football team engagement with other sports! It creates a strong sense of community, not just among the team, but across the entire university. Love it.

Sam McKewon said something similar (without the HS analogy) this morning on Sharp and Handley. Sharp asked him about the good feels in the department right now even though football still hasn't won, and the MBB program still hasn't made the tourney. Sam talked about this very thing and how it permeates. Good listen if you want to check it out. https://p.ftur.io/koznam/22715

Sam McKewon said something similar (without the HS analogy) this morning on Sharp and Handley. Sharp asked him about the good feels in the department right now even though football still hasn't won, and the MBB program still hasn't made the tourney. Sam talked about this very thing and how it permeates. Good listen if you want to check it out. https://p.ftur.io/koznam/22715
Should I sue for plagiarism? Lol

I will take a listen tonight at work. Thx

Should I sue for plagiarism? Lol

I will take a listen tonight at work. Thx
Good op Thom!

You know these pages are where the Nebraska writers get their best material :Lol:

Now regarding your St Pats comment … do you know Dave & Theresa Nozicka?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back