• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska Athletic Performance Lab. How effective is it?

Bigger Ed

XL Cranial Shield w/ Auxiliary Vision Enhancement
5 Year Member
Nebraksa Athletic Performance Lab

The NAPL's broad agenda includes:

- Investigating the impact of training techniques, therapeutic interventions, and nutrition on performance and recovery
- Assessing the biomechanical impact of performance on the athlete's body
- Harnessing biomarkers in saliva and blood to guide training
- Developing technologies to reduce injury and improve performance
- Identifying and reducing factors that lead to injuries and chronic conditions later in an athlete's life.

After the Wisconsin game, Frost made a statement in the presser piquied my curiosity but there wasn't much discussion about it so I forgot about it until now. He said that Carlos Davis informed him before the game that he wasn't healthy enough to play though he had practiced all week. I'm not judging Davis in any way, but I wonder how that played out. Maybe Frost meant that team doctors told Davis he couldn't play and Davis was just relaying the information to his coach. Maybe Davis had been sick and didn't feel up to it yet.

That all got me thinking about the Nebraska Athletic Performance Lab (NAPL) and how integrated it is with the football program and how success of the program is measured. How have NAPL "training techniques" affected football training? Have "thereapeutic interventions" lengthened the time an athlete is sidelined? Have the number and severity of injuries "officially" improved based on lab measurements? What technologies reduce injury and improve performance? This is purely anecdotral, but the team seemed to have more than its fair share of injuries this year. Maybe NAPL isn't even involved with football or maybe it's highly influential (e.g. at the training table). Maybe it's an evil plan to turn all of our players into slow blinkers. I just wonder if it has a positive/neutral/negative affect on football players.

Just looking for a conspiracty theory as to why we played so badly this year. ;)

Last edited:
Nebraksa Athletic Performance Lab

The NAPL's broad agenda includes:

- Investigating the impact of training techniques, therapeutic interventions, and nutrition on performance and recovery
- Assessing the biomechanical impact of performance on the athlete's body
- Harnessing biomarkers in saliva and blood to guide training
- Developing technologies to reduce injury and improve performance
- Identifying and reducing factors that lead to injuries and chronic conditions later in an athlete's life.

After the Wisconsin game, Frost made a statement in the presser piquied my curiosity but there wasn't much discussion about it so I forgot about it until now. He said that Carlos Davis informed him before the game that he wasn't healthy enough to play though he had practiced all week. I'm not judging Davis in any way, but I wonder how that played out. Maybe Frost meant that team doctors told Davis he couldn't play and Davis was just relaying the information to his coach. Maybe Davis had been sick and didn't feel up to it yet.

;)
That all got me thinking about the Nebraska Athletic Performance Lab (NAPL) and how integrated it is with the football program and how success of the program is measured. How have NAPL "training techniques" affected football training? Have "thereapeutic interventions" lengthened the time an athlete is sidelined? Have the number and severity of injuries "officially" improved based on lab measurements? What technologies reduce injury and improve performance? This is purely anecdotral, but the team seemed to have more than its fair share of injuries this year. Maybe NAPL isn't even involved with football or maybe it's highly influential (e.g. at the training table). Maybe it's an evil plan to turn all of our players into slow blinkers. I just wonder if it has a positive/neutral/negative affect on football players.

Just looking for a conspiracty theory as to why we played so badly this year.
Without it NU might have been 2-10. :(

I don't know either way. Maybe they'd have been 10-2 without it. I don't even know if players are in the program. It's a kind of a mystery to me, like did aliens build the pyramids???

I don't know either way. Maybe they'd have been 10-2 without it. I don't even know if players are in the program. It's a kind of a mystery to me, like did aliens build the pyramids???
Bo Pelini used it to hang clothes on, like most people do to treadmills, i.e. he never used it. And he got 9 wins a year. (not that I am clamoring for him to come back, I like Frost!)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we don't get any actual information about how players are doing in the S&C except for the old "we're bigger, faster, and stronger" than last year and we "look like a BIG 10 team" this year and "we've put on lots of lean body mass." The days of having kids' performance index scores published seem to be gone though a few years ago Eply acted like he was thinking of publishing again. My guess is we'll continue to get tweets of players doing heavy weights, and posters will continue to make fun of their hard work because their form is bad. But who knows, maybe those squat machines will get stolen back from the volleyball team and we'll be champions once again.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what the mission is, but there certainly is little or no information published about it. You have to assume it is a non-factor or we would have heard more. Of course, had we won more games they probably would have published many scholarly papers.

You know, all this high tech stuff is great and I assume that the goal is to develop these kids as efficiently as possible. Reminds me a little of the Rocky vs Russia movie where the Russian is trained with high tech methods to be a perfect boxing specimen. Rocky, of course, resorts to not just old school training methods, but some far-fetched old methods to boot. And, of course Rocky wins because he has more heart. Personally, I like the fact that they've got the efficient high tech stuff in place, but think that if these guys want to be champions they need to add more to their training than simply what's efficient. I want to hear that our big guys are hanging out in gyms, basements or garages lifting heavy weights nearly every night. Those were the stories I used to hear about in the mid 90's. Recently, I hear how football and workouts take too much time away from school work and Play Station. If you want to be great, you have to outwork everyone else...high tech or low tech and preferably both.

Last edited:

You know, all this high tech stuff is great and I assume that the goal is to develop these kids as efficiently as possible. Reminds me a little of the Rocky vs Russia movie where the Russian is trained with high tech methods to be a perfect boxing specimen. Rocky, of course, resorts to not just old school training methods, but some far-fetched old methods to boot. And, of course Rocky wins because he has more heart. Personally, I like the fact that they've got the efficient high tech stuff in place, but think that if these guys want to be champions they need to add more to their training than simply what's efficient. I want to hear that our big guys are hanging out in gyms, basements or garages lifting heavy weights nearly every night. Those were the stories I used to hear about in the mid 90's. Recently, I hear how football and workouts take too much time away from school work and Play Station. If you want to be great, you have to outwork everyone else...high tech or low tech and preferably both.

And wrasslin' is real and the moon walk was faked!

And aliens didn't build the pyramids because they are very polite and wouldn't have done that without first getting permission. No one gave them permission.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back