• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska at Illinois Gameday Weather Forecast -- Final Update Saturday at 4:30PM, Page 2, Post #20

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
Saturday evening, 7 PM CDT kickoff, in Champaign, IL.

I'm getting quite tired from typing "chance of rain" every single game thus far in 2019. lol.

I wasn't worried about the Northern Illinois game, as I mentioned only a slight chance and the off chance it rained, it would be scattered, light, and brief. It obviously was a nice (warm, humid) evening in Lincoln.

Unfortunately, the upcoming night game in Illinois is another story. Because if it does rain, there's a good chance for strong thunderstorms and heavy downpours. This precipitation event will be associated with a cold front -- moving into a very warm, humid air mass. The question now is the timing of the front and associated precipitation. And I do not have a clear answer to that at this point. I can tell you one computer model suggests frequent storms throughout the game, which would likely lead to delays. But other computer models are much slower with the arrival of the front and precipitation -- keeping it dry until well after the game. So that's what I've got to keep an eye on this week.

Otherwise, it is likely to be warm, humid, and no rain during the daytime. Highs in the 80s. If this coming Saturday's game was played in the afternoon, I doubt there'd be any rain concerns.

I'll update in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Saturday evening, 7 PM CDT kickoff, in Champaign, IL.

I'm getting quite tired from typing "chance of rain" every single game thus far in 2019. lol.

I wasn't worried about the Northern Illinois game, as I mentioned only a slight chance and the off chance it rained, it would be scattered, light, and brief. It obviously was a nice (warm, humid) evening in Lincoln.

Unfortunately, the upcoming night game in Illinois is another story. Because if it does rain, there's a good chance for strong thunderstorms and heavy downpours. This precipitation event will be associated with a cold front -- moving into a very warm, humid air mass. The question now is the timing of the front and associated precipitation. And I do not have a clear answer to that at this point. I can tell you one computer model suggests frequent storms throughout the game, which would likely lead to delays. But other computer models are much slower with the arrival of the front and precipitation -- keeping it dry until well after the game. So that's what I've got to keep an eye on this week.

Otherwise, it is likely to be warm, humid, and no rain during the daytime. Highs in the 80s. If this coming Saturday's game was played in the afternoon, I doubt there'd be any rain concerns.

I'll update in a couple of days.
You have done a great job so far HWM,last week was great.Have total confidence that you will hold back the heavy storms till after the game.Keep up the good work.GBR.

Any chance they try to move the game up so they can get it in for sure? If we will run into issues during a night game do they try to play it Sunday?

Quick Wednesday PM update:

The computer models are trending toward a later arrival with the storms. After midnight Saturday night -- and even better chances on Sunday. But it's really close. It appears currently a band of showers and thunderstorms will set up on Saturday just to the northwest of Champaign -- not far.

I'll update once or twice more, as this is too close for comfort. But for now, encouraging signs.

Quick Wednesday PM update:

The computer models are trending toward a later arrival with the storms. After midnight Saturday night -- and even better chances on Sunday. But it's really close. It appears currently a band of showers and thunderstorms will set up on Saturday just to the northwest of Champaign -- not far.

I'll update once or twice more, as this is too close for comfort. But for now, encouraging signs.
Best news ive heard all day. Granted I just woke up. Ha. Hope they continue to push further north for the games sake.

Friday Update:

The optimistic trend from Wednesday's update holds!

While it's not a 0% chance of rain Saturday evening in Champaign -- it's pretty low. I'd be more concerned if we were playing in Evanston rather than Champaign. :)

There's a chance of some spotty light rain tomorrow morning, then likely dry during the afternoon. Rain chances increase a bit Saturday night -- but still not more than 20% chance (I'd suggest less of a chance).

Pregame (Saturday afternoon/early-evening): Around 80-85 degrees. South wind will be a bit breezy. Otherwise, likely dry.

Kickoff (7PM CDT): Around 80 degrees. South wind 12-16 MPH, gusts to 22.

Halftime: Mid 70s. South wind 10-14 MPH. Very slight chance of an isolated shower or thunderstorm.

4th Quarter: Around 70 degrees. South wind 10-12 MPH. Slight chance of an isolated shower or thunderstorm.

Postgame: Temperatures between 65 and 70. Rain chances remain low -- not zero, but low. Increasing chances after midnight but the bulk of the rain will hold until Sunday.

While I'm uncertain why the weather forecast threads seem to get un-stickied the day prior to the game, here's another update:

My concerns 18 hours ago were minimal (not 0% chance of rain, but generally not much more than 20%). They are no longer minimal. Ugh. Unfortunately, some of the shorter-range computer models are suggesting shower and thunderstorms *may* impact the late-afternoon into early-evening time frame.

I'm not sure which I'm more weary of -- forecasting day-after-day of 100-degree heat in Austin or trying to determine rain chances for every single Nebraska game thus far. I need a vacation!

Anyhow, I'll see about an update tomorrow (Saturday).

Last edited:

While I'm uncertain why the weather forecast threads seem to get un-stickied the day prior to the game, here's another update:

My concerns 18 hours ago were minimal (not 0% chance of rain, but generally not much more than 20%). They are no longer minimal. Ugh. Unfortunately, some of the shorter-range computer models are suggesting shower and thunderstorms *may* impact the late-afternoon into early-evening time frame.

I'm not sure which I'm more weary of -- forecasting day-after-day of 100-degree heat in Austin or trying to determine rain chances for every single Nebraska game thus far. I need a vacation!

Anyhow, I'll see about an update tomorrow (Saturday).

Speaking of, when are we gonna get some relief from the heat here in Texas?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back