• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska asks Fox Sports to stop running cornfield spot in its promotion of Big Ten football

Status
Not open for further replies.

“It’s not really the direction we want the brand to go in,” said David Witty, senior associate athletic director for marketing and communications. Witty said Nebraska is happy to collaborate with Fox on promotional ideas in the future. Witty said he doesn’t think the ad will run on TV, but it lives on Twitter.

From this quote, it's not clear that the corn was the challenge although it could be part of it. The whole "this is where sacrifices are made" was just not a good look.

Last edited:
Ugh....seems kind of whiny and overly sensitive for Nebraska to do that.

I realize they are trying to bust the stereotype, but considering the team name...sheesh.. what did they expect Fox promo team to do?

I don't know.... I'm not offended by it....

Do Herbie and Lil Red perpetuate the farmer sterotype? I guess Herbie doesn't wear overalls any more?

I didn't mind it, but then again I am not easily offended. Not sure what the beef is. Don't know what 'Brand' Nebraska is trying to portray but might be time to get off the high horse and just go with it.

I don't think anyone was offended. It's more that we already hear every year, without fail, "I thought when I got here (Lincoln) that it would be all cornfields. I'm very surprised". Why reinforce that clearly wrong stereotype that somehow has persisted longer than the county scholarship myth. On top of that, it looked like crap.

Good. Not only was it ridiculously stereotypical, but in a way racist as well. Not sure if anyone else had noticed but unless I am mistaken every single player standing in that circle was white.

In other words "only white farmers play for Nebraska" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
From this quote, it's not clear that the corn was the challenge although it could be part of it. The whole "this is where sacrifices are made" was just not a good look.

Great point. Not sure how I missed the Children of the Corn metaphor. Bizarro corn cult is probably not the right direction to take NU's marketing.

Ugh....seems kind of whiny and overly sensitive for Nebraska to do that.

I realize they are trying to bust the stereotype, but considering the team name...sheesh.. what did they expect Fox promo team to do?

I don't know.... I'm not offended by it....

Do Herbie and Lil Red perpetuate the farmer sterotype? I guess Herbie doesn't wear overalls any more?
We are "Nebraska Nice" now

Whatever, I am not in charge so either way. I wonder if Minnesota will complain about theirs? Minnesota Nice was kind of funny. To me Fox was playing off the sterotypes, that was part of it. I get the sacrifice part to, but then again it is hard to make everyone happy. I won't lose any sleep either way.

I didn't think so much of that way, I thought that the players had to sacrifice and work hard to make it. I guess there are two ways to look at everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back