• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska and NIL

BehindEnemyLines

Scout Team
15 Year Member
Can someone give me a rundown on how NIL is being utilized at Nebraska? I know we were one of the first movers on this, but it seems everyone else has caught up. Even with teams catching up, everyone is using it differently. Some collectives are spreading it out, while some are more top heavy (best players get the most by a lot). Some schools have greatly benefited from it (USC, Tennessee) while others have underperformed (Alabama) or outright failed (aTm).

What is Nebraska’s strategy? How are we using it? What impact did it have over the last year? Other questions I’m not thinking of?

Can someone give me a rundown on how NIL is being utilized at Nebraska? I know we were one of the first movers on this, but it seems everyone else has caught up. Even with teams catching up, everyone is using it differently. Some collectives are spreading it out, while some are more top heavy (best players get the most by a lot). Some schools have greatly benefited from it (USC, Tennessee) while others have underperformed (Alabama) or outright failed (aTm).

What is Nebraska’s strategy? How are we using it? What impact did it have over the last year? Other questions I’m not thinking of?
I’m not sure how you can say aTm has outright failed, they wouldn’t have signed the highest recruiting class ever without it

I honestly don't know what coordinated effort Nebraska has.

I've heard some schools have an NIL Coordinator that connects interested parties with the players they're wishing to sign up and assume we have someone in a similar role, but it's really all been behind the curtain for me up to this point.

I’m not sure how you can say aTm has outright failed, they wouldn’t have signed the highest recruiting class ever without it
time will tell if NIL equates to wins, given what we know about A&M this year, the answer is a firm no.... they went 5-7, thats a failure.... at one time 5-7 was a failure for us, now you know how far we have fallen.....

I've heard Nebraska has a large NIL collective. I also know that there have been some entities that started in Nebraska to help college athletes navigate the NIL space and help coordinate deals. I don't know how it compares to other schools. The vibe I've gotten is that we aren't throwing NIL money at recruits like some schools are (questionable NCAA legality on that). Instead, once players are at Nebraska there are avenues and help to ink NIL deals.

There are specific players at other schools, see Bryce Young at Alabama, who have been able to ink national NIL deals. Nebraska hasn't been successful enough for someone like Dr. Pepper to want one of our players in an ad. That said, it does seem like there are a lot of opportunities within the state. Nebraska being "the show" in town offers up a lot more avenues for those deals locally/regionally.

time will tell if NIL equates to wins, given what we know about A&M this year, the answer is a firm no.... they went 5-7, thats a failure.... at one time 5-7 was a failure for us, now you know how far we have fallen.....
In A&M's defense, it is hard to take kids straight out of high school and have that translate immediately to success in the SEC. Failure this year doesn't automatically mean that the signing class was a failure. The question is how many of those players will hang on long enough to wait on that success?

You can also win signing day, but that doesn't mean you win the title. Still have to develop players and put them into positions to be successful. A&M has shown flashes (upsetting LSU this year and Alabama last year), but they've failed at being consistent. They've also struggled to figure out the QB position.

I honestly don't know what coordinated effort Nebraska has.

I've heard some schools have an NIL Coordinator that connects interested parties with the players they're wishing to sign up and assume we have someone in a similar role, but it's really all been behind the curtain for me up to this point.
This guy's in charge of NIL for Nebraska.....
money-rain-cash.gif

Great question! I think you can google Nebraska NIL Nebraska collectives and see the organizations that are trying to centralize how to connect players with NIL opportunities. It does still seem very fragmented at this stage. However, I think Nebraska is more organized around NIL than most. Guessing we are in the Top 10%. ??

Scot Frost had said that NIL is still the Wild Wild West in terms of minimal direction from the NCAA, and "anything goes, but don't do anything wrong". Tough position for Universities to be in to stay hands off yet, be connected with NIL and players.
I think we did have a liaison that could help students. And this role was helping with not just signing deals, but financial management, insurance, etc, However, I still think this is all in its infancy stage.

My brainstorming white board:
If I were Chancellor, Board of Regents, President. I would want to develop a whole new player fiduciary "relationship" roles with a some staff ( I'm purposely not using the word "agent" but serve in some capacity like one) that could really be the liaison for students and collectives. Again with the purpose of "centralizing" both for the student athlete and the collectives.
If I was the State Legislature. Governor, I would maybe want to have guidelines on how collectives work (which I assume is already happening) and maybe even try and limit the number of collectives to keep things more centralized in legal coordination with the Universities. I think Jim Pillen will be a great advocate for overall NIL in the state.

5-7 suggests it failed
This was year 1 and aTm just signed the highest rated recruiting class of all time.

They have 7 true freshman on their 2 deep on offense and 9 true freshman in their 2 deep on defense, and they just went 5-7 in arguably one of the 2 toughest conferences in college football. Sure…..it’s a failure

In A&M's defense, it is hard to take kids straight out of high school and have that translate immediately to success in the SEC. Failure this year doesn't automatically mean that the signing class was a failure. The question is how many of those players will hang on long enough to wait on that success?

You can also win signing day, but that doesn't mean you win the title. Still have to develop players and put them into positions to be successful. A&M has shown flashes (upsetting LSU this year and Alabama last year), but they've failed at being consistent. They've also struggled to figure out the QB position.
i dont disagree with any of your points, but as of right now, the result is a failure. i alluded to time will tell so we just have to wait and see.

i dont disagree with any of your points, but as of right now, the result is a failure. i alluded to time will tell so we just have to wait and see.
So are you saying NIL failed to get AM a freshman class that will take them big things? Or that you thought NIL would make freshmen contribute like upperclassman?

It has to be one or the other because AM used NIL to bring in freshmen.

So are you saying NIL failed to get AM a freshman class that will take them big things? Or that you thought NIL would make freshmen contribute like upperclassman?

It has to be one or the other because AM used NIL to bring in freshmen.
take them big things?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back