• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska All-American Kayla Caffey enters transfer portal

This article makes it even harder to understand. I wish Kayla the best, and I guess there will always be some questions.

Thanks @weaver75. Article is behind a paywall, but one may be able to read it with your browser in private/stealth mode. It seems like UNL staff did the grunt work to get a Seventh season approved, but somehow there apparently was not a meeting of the minds.

Best wishes to Kayla wherever she lands.

Last edited:
Cook then released the following statement:

“To clarify my press conference statement at Big Ten Media Days earlier today, Kayla did not have an athletic scholarship for this upcoming fall semester. Kayla had been working on outside NIL deals that would cover her expenses, but she notified me last week she was going to enter the transfer portal. Kayla was a great Husker. While we anticipated having her be a part of this year’s team, I respect that this is a personal decision for her. We wish her the best going forward.”

Cook then released the following statement:

“To clarify my press conference statement at Big Ten Media Days earlier today, Kayla did not have an athletic scholarship for this upcoming fall semester. Kayla had been working on outside NIL deals that would cover her expenses, but she notified me last week she was going to enter the transfer portal. Kayla was a great Husker. While we anticipated having her be a part of this year’s team, I respect that this is a personal decision for her. We wish her the best going forward.”
This sounds contradictory to what was said earlier. If there was no room for her, it is what it is! She couldn't get enough from NIL to pay her for extra year. Sounds like there was some communication issues between all involved!

This sounds contradictory to what was said earlier. If there was no room for her, it is what it is! She couldn't get enough from NIL to pay her for extra year. Sounds like there was some communication issues between all involved!
You never know what was all said and who said what.

It's possible someone told Cook they could help out through NIL. Cook probably can't be part of any NIL deal particulars so he thought it was taken care of and no problem. But perhaps that someone and Kayla couldn't agree on the NIL details, and the whole thing falls through.

You never know what was all said and who said what.

It's possible someone told Cook they could help out through NIL. Cook probably can't be part of any NIL deal particulars so he thought it was taken care of and no problem. But perhaps that someone and Kayla couldn't agree on the NIL details, and the whole thing falls through.
Not criticizing the media but the way they reported this doesn't make a lot of sense. At least not to me anyway LOL

Not criticizing the media but the way they reported this doesn't make a lot of sense. At least not to me anyway LOL
Agree it doesn’t make sense. But Cook on Monday expressly said she had a scholarship and it was costly to the program. He then issued a “clarification” that says she was not offered a scholarship and was trying to get an NIL deal to pay for the fall. In defense of the media, how can you make sense of that?
I imagine Cook was trying to be careful in not saying something about a student-athlete that rules don’t allow, but what did come out seemed inconsistent, and unintentionally negative re Kayla. Fortunately, he has a long career of doing things right, and I hope Kayla gets what she wants, and this is not a distraction.

7th year of eligibility?! I'm just curious what a young person's life goals are that jive with sticking it out for a 7 year college career. I can see if they get a graduate degree out of it. Are NIL revenues for Nebraska volleyball players enough money to make it worth sticking around indefinitely?

Some of the Covid policy ramifications are pretty crazy.
R.gif

Texas too. Like Akana. Two Husker starters from last year. one a 2d team All-American, now Longhorns. Interesting.

I feel like there is a Texas Volleyball rep stationed within shouting distance of the Devaney Center just waiting for the next transfer. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I feel like there is a Texas Volleyball rep stationed within shouting distance of the Devaney Center just waiting for the next transfer. :thumbsup:
It’s alright because we still beat them everytime, you can have great players but it’s hard to outcoach John Cook, just like last years roster showed

It’s alright because we still beat them everytime, you can have great players but it’s hard to outcoach John Cook, just like last years roster showed
I really love your enthusiasm but you need to go back and check the head-to-head matchup between the two schools. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back