• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska All-American Kayla Caffey enters transfer portal

It would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall during the final discussions heading into the transfer decision. Nebraska seems to be in a good place at the middle blocker position heading into the season. There is a strong possibility she would have had some reduced playing time this season.

Hope she finds a great place to continue playing!!

Last edited:
Wow. That sure changes my outlook for the season. All is still possible, but middle seems like it is wide open as to who joins Hord. And our outside hitters need a sophomore jump, and our untested setter needs to be a good one. Defense and serving may need to carry us while we get the offense going. Very young on offense after Hord and Kubick.

It would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall during the final discussions heading into the transfer decision. Nebraska seems to be in a good place at the middle blocker position heading into the season. There is a strong possibility she would have had reduced playing time this season.

Hope she finds a great place to continue playing!!
I hope you are right, but Stivrins and Caffey were so far ahead of the others, and we lost a total of five middles from last year’s roster. Our second middle will be one with no college experience. With a new setter, it makes me nervous.

I thought I'd read a long time ago the NCAA had approved another season, so it appears, in part, it was us that was holding up a final decision. You have to think reduced playing time was part of it, which if true must mean Cook feels he's in good shape with the new players coming in.

I hope you are right, but Stivrins and Caffey were so far ahead of the others, and we lost a total of five middles from last year’s roster. Our second middle will be one with no college experience. With a new setter, it makes me nervous.
Agree. I think Callie Schwarzenbach was relatively close, but she was definitely still behind.

Nothing bad better happen with Kaitlyn Hord, or we're going to be left with no experienced middles.

From the Rivals Article :

It was a turbulent offseason saga for the Chicago native, who was granted her seventh season of eligibility in May by the NCAA. However, Caffey did not receive the green light from Nebraska to return. Recently, on the latest episode of "Kicking back with the Cook", Cook mentioned that Nebraska had cleared up its end and the "ball was in Kayla's court."

Seems contradictory.

7th year of eligibility?! I'm just curious what a young person's life goals are that jive with sticking it out for a 7 year college career. I can see if they get a graduate degree out of it. Are NIL revenues for Nebraska volleyball players enough money to make it worth sticking around indefinitely?

Some of the Covid policy ramifications are pretty crazy.

It's amazing to me that NU has the luxury to let an All-american player go to the portal. In Cook we trust!
We will have to, but I doubt this was the intended plan at middle. Lots of reliance on frosh and sophomores, will be fun to see the development.

This sounds like a good place for NIL to kick in to cover her expenses (scholarship costs +). Then she could come back from the transfer portal and just be an All-American walkon.

I hope someone on here will say if this can be legally done or not. I never mind being corrected.
P.S. Just to let you know up front, I can't afford to pay those expenses.

Since March, we lost Callie and Okana to transfer, Rylee Gray to medical, Kayelyn Meyer to track and still no scholarship for Kayla? Cook gave one to Anni Evans a while ago. He must have thought he would have one or Caffey wouldn’t have been strung out so long. Tough for her to find a school that will work now. Don’t like to criticize the best coach in America in any sport, but from the outside it looks like this could have been done better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back