• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska #6 on AP All-Time Top 25 Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBigRed

Recruit
2 Year Member
6 NEBRASKA (901 Points)

nebraska.png

Total appearances:717, 65% of all polls
First appearance:1936
No.1 ranking:72
Championships:Four (last 1995)
Best full decade:1990s appeared in 100% of polls.
Worst full decade:1950s appeared in 5.17% of polls.
Poll point:Mostly under coach Tom Osborne, the Cornhuskers were unranked in only three polls combined during the 1970s, '80s and '90s _ appearing in 99.35 percent over three decades.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/top-100

We move waaaaaay up if we look at the modern era. That occurred with the return of 2 platoon football, allowing blacks to play, the beginnings of weight training, and equipment improvements. Modern era begins somewhere in the 60's...the old timers played a different game.

We move waaaaaay up if we look at the modern era. That occurred with the return of 2 platoon football, allowing blacks to play, the beginnings of weight training, and equipment improvements. Modern era begins somewhere in the 60's...the old timers played a different game.

For sure. The 50's alone probably took us out of the top 3.

The fact that some people actually think that Michigan was better than Nebraska in 1997 is a complete joke.

Nebraska destroyed Peyton Manning and the #3 Volunteers in their bowl game. Michigan beat #7 Washington State, who cares.

Of course, the only era where the media favored the Big Ten was before we joined it.

I'm not going to take the time to do the research, but I wonder how many teams have a missing championship because they split it with someone and won the coaches poll?

Also, the scoring system used by the AP here is a bit subjective. 10 points for a national championship, while you only get 1 point for being ranked #2 at the end of the season. If you get a #1 ranking during any week prior to the final poll, you get 2 points. IMO, being ranked #2 at the end is worth a lot more than being ranked #1 in week 1. Their scoring system gives too much weight to preseason rankings. Yes, there is something to be said for consistently being ranked in the AP poll. But, a media darling team like ND gets a lot of benefit of the doubt, and they almost always start a season in the top 25 whether it is deserved or not - simply on hype and not how good they really are projected to be. Personally, I would have a sliding point scale where #25 is worth 1 pt in week 1, 2pts for #24, 3pts for #23, and so on. Week 2 becomes more important giving every ranking double the points as in week 1. So in week 2, #25 = 2pts, #24 = 4pts, #23 = 6pts, etc. Every progressive week the stakes get higher as the poll gets more accurate, thus giving more points. No special points for anything. I suppose you could give a small bonus for going wire to wire #1, and for going back to back national champions as that can be particularly hard because everyone is gunning for you.

Anyway, I doubt a different scoring system would produce any seismic shifts, but I wouldn't be surprised to see minor reshuffling.

One thing that I am particularly proud of NU is that while NU rarely is the best school for any ranking (except sellouts and academic all Americans), you will find NU to almost always be in the top 5, 10, or top 15 for EVERY category in college football historically. Whether it be all time wins, stadium size, APR, # of MNC, heismans, etc, etc, NU is consistently ranked in the top 5-15 of every category for these kinds of polls. Just shows how successful NU is, but also how well rounded we are.

GO BIG RED

In case you missed it, the AP package includes a shot of Bill Glassford from 80 years ago when he was a player at Pitt. He's still alive & kicking at age 102.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/huskermax/article/all-time-first-venerable-ap-top-25

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

FILE - In this Oct. 10, 1936, file photo, Ohio State team captain Merle Wendt, left, points out to Alan Gould, center, Associated Press sports editor, and Pittsbugh captain Bill Glassford, where he intends to cross Pitt's goal line before their game in Columbus, Ohio. The one constant in college football over the last 80 years has been the AP poll. Before the AP started asking its member sports writers and editors to vote for the top teams, then-sports editor Alan J. Gould in 1935 went about ranking them himself. (AP Photo/Harry Hall)

In case you missed it, the AP package includes a shot of Bill Glassford from 80 years ago when he was a player at Pitt. He's still alive & kicking at age 102.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/huskermax/article/all-time-first-venerable-ap-top-25

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

FILE - In this Oct. 10, 1936, file photo, Ohio State team captain Merle Wendt, left, points out to Alan Gould, center, Associated Press sports editor, and Pittsbugh captain Bill Glassford, where he intends to cross Pitt's goal line before their game in Columbus, Ohio. The one constant in college football over the last 80 years has been the AP poll. Before the AP started asking its member sports writers and editors to vote for the top teams, then-sports editor Alan J. Gould in 1935 went about ranking them himself. (AP Photo/Harry Hall)

Fun fact. Thanks!

Looking back at the decade of the 1990's (as Husker fans over the age of forty are prone to do) It is still pretty staggering just how good a run that was. I'd like to string a few years together that rival the successes of that decade.

:N:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back