• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska #1 in preseason volleyball poll: 4 Big Ten teams in top 10

KTexUNLfan

Scout Team
10 Year Member

Not a surprise after last year's success and our phenominal recruiting over recent history. No surprise that Ohio State is #5; Wisconsin and Minnesota both in top 10 too. What a conference! It's going to be a dynamite season.

Last edited:

I am surprised at #1 because (1) we lost two starters including an All American, to Texas, (2) our outside hitters hitting percentage was a record low last year, (3) we are trying out a new setter, (4) we will have new middles, and (5) our two best servers from last year are gone. I have confidence that our hitting will improve, that Orr will be a great setter by year’s end, and that our frosh middles will be okay. But that doesn’t mean I expected the raters to conclude that we are the best team in the country now.

As noted previously, Texas had five leave and 6 transfer in, so the raters believe that coaching staff can mesh all the newcomers successfully. Our B1G competition also relied more heavily on the portal than we did.

I am surprised at #1 because (1) we lost two starters including an All American, to Texas, (2) our outside hitters hitting percentage was a record low last year, (3) we are trying out a new setter, (4) we will have new middles, and (5) our two best servers from last year are gone.
Cook surprised too:

I am surprised at #1 because (1) we lost two starters including an All American, to Texas, (2) our outside hitters hitting percentage was a record low last year, (3) we are trying out a new setter, (4) we will have new middles, and (5) our two best servers from last year are gone. I have confidence that our hitting will improve, that Orr will be a great setter by year’s end, and that our frosh middles will be okay. But that doesn’t mean I expected the raters to conclude that we are the best team in the country now.

As noted previously, Texas had five leave and 6 transfer in, so the raters believe that coaching staff can mesh all the newcomers successfully. Our B1G competition also relied more heavily on the portal than we did.
Those are all great/legit questions and it is a bit surprising to be #1 with that many variables. On the upside, Cook typically comes up with awfully good answers and on paper he has pretty good options. It's going to be a blast to watch it play out!

I'm a bit surprised at the #1 ranking, but maybe enough people on the outside think we're still that good.

We lost two starters, but again to the outsider one was in her 7th year and there probably was no scholarship, the other might have felt she was going to lose playing time to more talented newcomers. Beyond that they are the National Champion runner up, and the National Champion lost a lot of players, so they would be expected to take a bit of a dip. NU lands a very good Penn State player from the portal so that helps.

It's going to be so interesting watching Cook fiddle with lineups during the non-conf schedule. There are a lot of pieces for him to play with and things will change as the new kids gain experience. These early games provide a lot of valuable exposure for the freshmen especially. It's a benefit that in this sport winning the early games isn't as important as it would be in a something like football. Coaches can take to chances here until they know what they've got.

Dropped to #2– makes sense when Texas goes on the road for two games against a top 5 team and prevails.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back